1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Sunday, December 11 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by the_fella, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm curious about your answers.

I am the first person in my family to attend high school (much less get a masters), does that qualify as "disadvantaged" or whatever term it is they're using? My family's income is also below the FPL, less than $10,000/year.

I'm also the first person in my family born outside of Appalachia, though I lived there until I was about 20-21. Is this relevant? I'm betting no?

So does any of this matter, or will the ADCOM folks simply not care?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr.Keem

Dr.Keem 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not an Adcom, but I believe you qualify as socioeconomically disadvantaged. My mom makes more than 10,000 a year and I still qualify, so I think you're good. Make sure to weave that into your application.

4. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
    Alright. I'll try to do that.

5. naijapride

naijapride 2+ Year Member

If you grew up there (and the things I remember about the Appalachian region) then its relevant as you have lived in an area that is medically undeserved. Not as relevant if goal in becoming a doctor is to get the hell out of dodge from there and only do plastics in LA to rich people, bug if you're interested in rural medicine it is. (Also they ask that jn the app)

6. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
    Lol. No that's not my goal. I consider that are my home and ideally would like to return someday.

7. naijapride

naijapride 2+ Year Member

Then definitely talk about that its underserved, makes for a interesting story and yeah you would be socieconomically disadvantaged. Good luck in the cycle and remember that interesting stories don't take the place of good grades, high MCAT, especially in higher desired areas/"rankings"

About the ads