NakMuay

Removed
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Coming to this forum a couple days ago has kind of made me wonder if I'm just wasting my time. Everyone here seems to have GPAs that are off the charts. I don't.

I graduated in 2008 with a 3.04 GPA in MIS. My last year of college I averaged a 3.82, but all the other years were lousy b/c I didn't apply myself. One semester I even got a 1.8. Another, a 2.3. Its a miracle I even got above 3.0.

Fortunately I didn't take any of the science prereqs back then, so I never had the chance to mess those up too. I started taking them this year...at a community college. I'm taking gen chem and physics right now, and am right on track to get As. I've also taken AP I and II and aced those. However, I'm concerned my grades will be discounted b/c its community college, and they might wonder if the sudden jump in my grades is b/c the classes are easy at CC.

I'll probably take the rest of my prereqs at university after finishing the chem/physics series. Hopefully it won't be too late by then.

Anyway, hi, I'm NakMuay. Nice to be here.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
Nope. You're not wasting your time if you have a passion for dentistry.

Get A's in those pre-req courses and smash the DAT and I'm pretty sure something will be out there for you. If you feel comfortable at a community college then that's your call; however, realize that there are a few schools that won't accept credits for pre-req courses from community college (Tufts comes to mind). Anyway, it sounds to me that you're on the right track. Keep it up!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Coming to this forum a couple days ago has kind of made me wonder if I'm just wasting my time. Everyone here seems to have GPAs that are off the charts. I don't.

I graduated in 2008 with a 3.04 GPA in MIS. My last year of college I averaged a 3.82, but all the other years were lousy b/c I didn't apply myself. One semester I even got a 1.8. Another, a 2.3. Its a miracle I even got above 3.0.

Fortunately I didn't take any of the science prereqs back then, so I never had the chance to mess those up too. I started taking them this year...at a community college. I'm taking gen chem and physics right now, and am right on track to get As. I've also taken AP I and II and aced those. However, I'm concerned my grades will be discounted b/c its community college, and they might wonder if the sudden jump in my grades is b/c the classes are easy at CC.

I'll probably take the rest of my prereqs at university after finishing the chem/physics series. Hopefully it won't be too late by then.

Anyway, hi, I'm NakMuay. Nice to be here.
oh NakMuay, you are soooo not wasting your time :)

Let me tell you how SIMILAR we are. I finished in undergrad back in 2004 with 3.01 overall GPA (3.15 science). Computer science major with pretty much zero pre-dental courses (except physics 1 and 2)

Anyways, I started post-bacc in 2007..... today, after doing 54 credits of post-bacc on a straight 4.0 run, my new overall GPA is 3.3, science 3.6, and BCP is 3.88. I applied last June, I've gotten 1 rejection so far and 8 interviews.

OP
NakMuay

NakMuay

Removed
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Yeah, I saw that some schools don't accept CC credits. That's too bad, b/c I've learned a lot in my classes and didn't have to put myself in debt to do it. Realistically I probably wouldn't get into Tufts if I did 4.0 work at Harvard from here on out, so I don't let it bother me too much. I only care about learning to be a dentist, wherever I have to go to do it.

OP
NakMuay

NakMuay

Removed
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Right on DW, thanks for the encouragement. Sounds like you have your choice of schools man. Congratulations, must be a great feeling.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
There are a handful of schools like people have said before that have a limit on CC credits, and that information can be found in the ADEA guide to Dental Schools. From my knowledge right now--Tufts, Boston, Creighton, Ohio state and I think a couple others don't take any CC credits, while there's some that have a limit of like 30 credits, and others that just use the phrase "It's strongly recommended that you take your pre-reqs at a 4 year institution". That ADEA guide to dental schools is a reference you should look to for advice about what you should be taking and what schools look at what when it comes to acceptance.

As someone who went to a CC for 2 years, then transferred to a 4 year to finish I feel that it wont severely hinder your chances of getting into a dental school. You have to make sure that the most recent coursework is pretty stellar and that its on-par or better than you did in your CC coursework. Even schools that accept CC credits only take a maximum of 60 or so credits so make sure you finish up at a 4 year. My only regret is that I would have taken more of my prerequisites at the 4 year simply because it probably looks better on paper.

Anyways let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck! ROCK THE DAT as well, but I'm sure you already know that.