I have a Masters in Counseling (school track), but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently, I began thinking about my future--as of now, I have a job as a school counselor in Ohio and my pay is 40k. I really enjoy certain aspects of this job (the one on one time with the kids, mostly) but am not as happy as I think I should be. Some introspection has lead me to believe that a job where I could just meet with kids one on one would be ideal. Becoming a psychologist seems to be the answer. I already have my Masters degree in Counseling (school track)--what would be the best (and most economical) way to get to my goal? I'd be willing to move pretty much anywhere, and any advice is helpful--thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not that familiar with the requirements of becoming a mid-level practitioner, but have you looked into seeking licensure as an LPC in your state? There is a woman at the practice where I work, who has her masters in counseling (school track), and she works full time during the day as a school counselor and then sees patients in the evenings to meet her supervision requirements for individual licensure. It might be something worth looking into, especially if you're open to moving to another state. As a mid level provider you'll be able to do many of the things a psychologist could do (i.e. therapy) although you would likely refer to a psychologist for things like psychological testing/assessment.