I have a master's in psychology, can I take prereq's at CC for Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsg16

Reaction score
I have a Master's degree in psychology, but am interested in a career change. I have a few biology courses from my undergrad but still need to take chem, ochem and other higher level science classes. I am looking into a CC to save money instead of taking these classes at a 4yr university. Will that ruin my chances of getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m pretty sure it depends on the schools you’re applying to. Some accept CC credits and some don’t. Research the schools you’re interested in and if you can’t find the answer on their website, I’d suggest emailing the schools directly for the most accurate information.

Tufts and BostonU don’t accept CC credit for required courses

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will have a better chance if you take them at a 4-year university if you can.

I’ll simplify. I went back to school and got nearly all of the prereqs at a CC, and got into dental school without it being an issue. With the exception of tufts/bu, most dental schools accept these credits. If you do well in all of your classes and score well on the DAT, at least 20+ in most categories, dental schools won’t care that you did your classes at a CC.

Reactions: 1 user