Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I have a personal aversion to the verbal section

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by EBI831, Jul 27, 2006.

1. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making

Medical Student
    I'm pretty good at verbal things and freaking awful at physics. so i've spent this whole time studying for physics. i integrated BS in because i'm good at that and i know that repeated tests and memorizing details is basically key to acing the BS section as its mainly knowledge based. now, verbal is a problem...i have read too many strategies and don't like any of them because they are annoying and only applicable to the prep tests that accompany them. so my problem is, every time i pick up a verbal test i don't feel like doing it so i've been skipping verbal sections by telling myself that i most likely can't learn much else from reading random articles/stories because they probably won't have the exact same ones on the test. so this is a long rant basically asking for someone to tell me otherwise so i can convince myself that verbal is just as worthy of my time as physics and biology and that my ignoring verbal will make my retake verbal score drop below the 10 i already got. or can someone tell me they didnt practice verbal much and relied on natural skills and got a 10 or better?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats

Medical Student
    hey!

I'm naturally not a good verbal test person, while having a knack for scoring well on standardized tests. Maybe this advice could help: I was scoring 9-10 when I first starting taking verbal section tests. I wanted to do better, but I knew that there's pretty much no way to "study" for the VR section. I used ExamKrackers strategy for verbal and found it to be very useful: you need to finish every passage and answer every question, you need to avoid relying on going back to the passage for the answer and instead focus on the tone and the main idea of the passage, and finally you have to be "in the zone" when you are doing the VR section so that you are thinking critically and avoiding any mistakes due to misreading things in the passages or misreading the question stems or answer choices. That's really all the strategy you need to succeed on verbal.

But you must practice verbal to do well. Very few people can just walk into an mcat verbal test and make a high score. I hit the books hard last summer and did every single verbal practice test I could find. I was able to get really used to the VR section by last August and I felt confident while taking the actual test. The key for me was this practice rather than a particular strategy. Be comfortable with everything that you will tested on, from the sciences to reading esoteric-sounding passages, so that you will have confidence on test day.

4. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member

Medical Student
    Ignoring verbal is not a good idea, but if you already got a 10 on an actual administration than I wouldn't worry too much. Stick with whatever strategy worked for you then.

For what it's worth, my score reflected the amount of time I put in for each section. I put the most effort into verbal and got a 12, 2nd was PS and I got an 11, and third was BS and I got a 9.

5. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man

Resident [Any Field]
    Ignoring verbal will earn you a 6...speaking from experience. :oops: