1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I have a problem with my major, and pre dental requirements.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PreDentalkid, Dec 4, 2008.

1. PreDentalkid

Pre-Dental
    My school does not allow me to take upper level biology courses, such as molecular genetics and cell biology, because of my major. In order to take them I have to be a biology major.

So do you think it's smart to take upper level biology courses at a community college?

2. telebeans

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    why not double major?

3. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    really? i have never heard of this before usually its if you have the prereqs you can register. try talking to the head of the bio dept and telling them that you are a predental student who wishes to take advanced level bio courses and that a lot of schools require biochemistry, microbiology, and recommend other upper level courses for you to be considered a competitive applicant etc...maybe they will make an exception and give you a special permission # to register for those courses. If not, you could take them at another college over the summer (i'm not sure on how dental schools feel about cc upper level bio-maybe someone else can help here) good luck!

4. huk1985

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yea, that's a really weird policy. Either you should petition to change that stupid rule or do what albuterol wrote above.

5. PreDentalkid

Pre-Dental
    yeah, i set up an appointment to speak to a pre-health counselor at my school.

6. NoFear66

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Sorry to hear that. But I'm sure there are ways around that. I was a finance major and was able to take micro, biochem, organic, etc. Just get A's in the ones you are allowed to take and be like "I have better grades in the prerequisites than probably half of the biology majors so let me take these classes."

7. Neuro178

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yikes... that's really strange. Stay away from the community college route. Hopefully your pre-health advisor can help... otherwise, I'd be packing my bags!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...