I have a problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afabela

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a big problem and i need some advice, last fall i was taking O chem, physics with calc, animal phys, and ecology along with all the labs, but i some famliy issues to deal with and i ended up getting a f in organic lab but getting all A;s in the rest of my classes, i retook the Organic lab in the spring and got an A. Will that F hurt me in the long run on the med school admissions process, i mean, a got all A's in the rest of my classes, and these werent your cake walk classes,they were all pretty intense, anyway thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar situation... Got a D in Physics one in a rough semester with outside obstacles...retook for A. It sure screws up the AMCAS GPA and it is something youll need to explain in your personal statement, but I wouldnt think it would be too much of an obstacle if everything else looks good. I got accepted and was never even asked about that D. Good luck.

It depends on if the F is still on your transcript, some schools replace the old grade with an R (for retook or whatever the school uses) other leave the old grade there. If the old grade is covered then you will be fine, if not then it will lower your GPA when you calculate it on the AMCAS app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, Amcas requires both grades even if your school removes the grade. The grade doesnt show on my transcript either... but it sure sticks out on AMCAS

the f doesn't look good, but the fact that you made up for it does.

I had a similar situation... Got a D in Physics one in a rough semester with outside obstacles...retook for A. It sure screws up the AMCAS GPA and it is something youll need to explain in your personal statement, but I wouldnt think it would be too much of an obstacle if everything else looks good. I got accepted and was never even asked about that D. Good luck.
I think this guy has it right. It'll lower your GPA, but all those A's next to it will beg a question. Just be ready and willing to explain.