I have a question about letters of rec...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am leaving my current school, and I will have two more years undergrad to go. Should I be asking professors from this school to write letters of recomendation for me? Would it be too early?

Members don't see this ad.

I might not get them to write it now, but I'd surely let them know that you are going to need a letter in a couple years. If they won't remember you that well in two years, they could write one now and just save it for when you need it.

How about this...what if you asked for a recommendation from a prof at least 4 weeks from the deadline of the application, and they agreed enthusiastically....but never wrote it, even after periodic reminders? Do you ask them "what the hell is up with that?" or do you let it slide and not say anything? It wasn't absolutely essential that I have that rec anyway.

Personally, if it was not essential, I'd probably not worry about it. However, from what I've been told, 4 weeks is a fair MINIMUM amount of time to give a prof. They're busy people even though they may not seem like it to us. I think it also really depends on the prof. If they're the "absent-minded professor" type, I'd probably politely remind them again (this actually happened to me, turned out the prof had written it, but just hadn't sent it yet.).