I have always noticed that the VR scores are usually a little rocky. Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always hear from people saying that their VR score is low compared to the sciences. What is so challenging about the VR section? I am asking this question, because I think I lack superior reading skills, such as speed reading, analyzing articles, devolping arguments, etc..(This is assumed that the reading activity is done under a time-restriction) So, Im assuming these people with low VR scores already have good reading skills. So, what makes the VR difficult? How do I practice for it? Someone suggested I read scholar journals, but which ones do i read?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging from the national averages, people score the lowest on the VR. Usually, reading the passage isn't super-hard, but the questions that they ask can be challenging, or worded in odd ways. Or, the passage will be very verbose and difficult, but what I generally have noticed is that harder passages to read are accompanied by somewhat easier questions, but that is not a hard and fast rule at all. Reading scholarly journals might help, but I would probably say just do as many practice VR's as possible - the more you do, the more you become accustomed to the types of questions that they ask, and you begin to recognize right and wrong answers more adeptly. With that, I'm going to do another VR practice myself!

I always hear from people saying that their VR score is low compared to the sciences. What is so challenging about the VR section? I am asking this question, because I think I lack superior reading skills, such as speed reading, analyzing articles, devolping arguments, etc..(This is assumed that the reading activity is done under a time-restriction) So, Im assuming these people with low VR scores already have good reading skills. So, what makes the VR difficult? How do I practice for it? Someone suggested I read scholar journals, but which ones do i read?

It's pure reading comprehension and applying it!

Most times, your science classes are not going to help you there and it comes down to just plain ability.

However, with practice, you can discover the different question types and get a feel for what the right answers are.

It's funny because the VR section is curved just like the other section, so just like you see a bunch of people with 12-14 in the sciences, you'd expect to see about the same number of people with 12-14 in VR. Doesn't really happen though...

Members don't see this ad :)
vr was my weakness.

unfortunately i spent most of my time on the sciences.
oh well, all in hindsight. (9/10s on VR in practice, 8 on the real thing 2x)

It also has to do with the fact that many pre-meds are science majors who are not used to the level of reading comprehension and critical reading skills necessary for the VR section.