I have an interview but I completely screwed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xbocker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wrote in my personal statement that Im seeking a residency program in an URBAN setting and how I want to practice in urban area, however the program that offered me an interview is located dead smack in a rural area and the curriculum is purely for rural health.

How do I explain myself if they mention it from my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Well do you want to practice rural? If you don't then cancel the interview. It's not what you want

Reactions: 1 user
update your personal statement. they prob havent even looked at it yet

My goal is to practice in an urban setting and care for the underserved with a focus on preventive health. The program curriculum strongly emphasizes on preventive medicine and most of the setting works in underserved area and thats what I believe is my main concern but I dont mind working in a rural area. Its just that my personal statement specifically says that I was looking for an urban setting

Well do you want to practice rural? If you don't then cancel the interview. It's not what you want
But can't I apply to the program just because they will give me the required training to practice as a physician in general? Does it really matter what I want to do in the future?

But can't I apply to the program just because they will give me the required training to practice as a physician in general? Does it really matter what I want to do in the future?
I wasn't taking about the future, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was saying in your PS you indicated you want to attend residency training in an urban setting, so if that is truly what you desire, then it seems that canceling the interview might be appropriate because I'm guessing that will be addressed on interview day and I would imagine be factored into their ROL. I have no idea how this whole process works, going of pure conjecture here... So with a grain of salt I suppose

Edit: or as above you can edit it. I was reading that unless they have printed it out already, you can change it and reassign and they will see the most recent.

Well I changed the personal ststement and removed the "im looking for an urban program." But I still want to work in an urban setting in the future after I get my license. So I guess my question is is will a program that is located in a rural setting look down on me because of my future goals?

They gave you the interview, just take it. That would be the perfect time to talk about how you eventually hope to practice in an urban setting, but recognize the value of training wherever access to care may be more difficult.

I'd ask why you even bothered applying to that program knowing full well you specifically wrote about wanting a different type of program, but I suppose hindsight is 20/20.