I have been accepted....but

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanblue5841

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, today I found out I was accepted to dental school. While it was very exciting, due to the circumstances (I applied literally on the last day, that applications were due), it also brings a lot of uncertainty. I'm currently going through some family issues, that I feel could interfere with my first year there. To be honest, I really did not expect to get accepted this cycle. Not only that, but this school was the only one I applied to due to required letters not arriving on time. I had assumed I had not gotten accepted and I'm in the process of reapplying this year, to what my research says are better schools. I have a good DAT score, my GPA is very competitive. All around I'm a competitive applicant. My question is, if I step aside this year and reapply again, when the issues aren't issues anymore, will Dental schools see that as a negative thing, or just ignore the fact that I wanted to wait, to get into a program? What would you guys do?

Would declining the spot this year, and reapplying for matriculation for the next year be a viable option? As I said, I applied on the last day that applications were due (September 30th). This year I'm on pace to have my application done by mid June, which I think will greatly increase my chances of acceptance at all three schools in Texas, that is if the school I decline reconsiders my application. I've also read about deferring for a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a TX school, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start as soon as you can. Start working at least a year sooner. I don't see how it could possibly make a difference where you go as long as you do the work needed to be a solid clinician. There are no guarantees you will be accepted anywhere next year.

Hey guys, today I found out I was accepted to dental school. While it was very exciting, due to the circumstances (I applied literally on the last day, that applications were due), it also brings a lot of uncertainty. I'm currently going through some family issues, that I feel could interfere with my first year there. To be honest, I really did not expect to get accepted this cycle. Not only that, but this school was the only one I applied to due to required letters not arriving on time. I had assumed I had not gotten accepted and I'm in the process of reapplying this year, to what my research says are better schools. I have a good DAT score, my GPA is very competitive. All around I'm a competitive applicant. My question is, if I step aside this year and reapply again, when the issues aren't issues anymore, will Dental schools see that as a negative thing, or just ignore the fact that I wanted to wait, to get into a program? What would you guys do?

If this is a Texas school, GO! If you are a talented applicant as you say you are, then you should be able to make the grades regardless. All 3 Texas schools are pretty much equivocal when it comes to what you get (all are pretty good), so why not go now? If this was some expensive northern school then I would say maybe reapply, but schools in Texas are relatively cheap so don't worry.

Lots of things will interfere with your first year of dental school. and every year after that until you die.

The fact is you got an acceptance. Assuming you actually want to do dentistry, the hardest part is over. An acceptance next round is not guaranteed.

Also, assuming you are a motivated individual (and I can only assume you are, as you did in fact get an seat in an entering class), any dental school is what you make of it. If you feel a school is lacking in an area, there isnt any reason why YOU cant push yourself to make up the difference.

And Texas schools are cheap: Thank you, fellow taxpayers.

I applied during the 2010-2011 cycle and was accepted to Midwestern University. It was not my top choice, it was way too expensive, and I didn't like the school. I reapplied during the 2011-2012 cycle and was accepted to a different school -- interviewed in the first interview cycle and accepted on December 1st. You know what is best for yourself, not others. Also, some schools will allow you to defer your acceptance until next year, check to see if you can do that.

U have an acceptance in hand-take it. Imagine how lame it will be if u apply next year and don't get in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I applied during the 2010-2011 cycle and was accepted to Midwestern University. It was not my top choice, it was way too expensive, and I didn't like the school. I reapplied during the 2011-2012 cycle and was accepted to a different school -- interviewed in the first interview cycle and accepted on December 1st. You know what is best for yourself, not others. Also, some schools will allow you to defer your acceptance until next year, check to see if you can do that.

That's true. See if deferring is an option. I also agree that although some call it crazy to not take an acceptance while you have it, we don't know the details.

In your case, declining your acceptance also meant huge savings when you got in when applying again. And you are a good example of being able to get accepted while applying in multiple cycles. Hopefully he will too if he applies again. But in this case (again, no one really knowing the scope of the personal issues), there's not only the risk of not getting in (nothing is ever certain), but he might not get into a TX school. And as callous as it sounds, it's something to consider financially.

Let's set aside personal reasons not to go to dental school this cycle. I have a Dat score that is above the average for all Texas dental schools, my GPA is a 3.878, Im also Hispanic and bilingual which can be seen as a plus. The dental school that accepted me was the only one I applied to, due to certain requirements I couldn't meet before the deadline for the other two schools. So for the this cycle I would be a new applicant for those two schools. My concern is if I decline to go this year, would that school refuse to consider me for another application cycle?

Let's set aside personal reasons not to go to dental school this cycle. I have a Dat score that is above the average for all Texas dental schools, my GPA is a 3.878, Im also Hispanic and bilingual which can be seen as a plus. The dental school that accepted me was the only one I applied to, due to certain requirements I couldn't meet before the deadline for the other two schools. So for the this cycle I would be a new applicant for those two schools. My concern is if I decline to go this year, would that school refuse to consider me for another application cycle?

If it were me, I would set up a meeting to explain the situation to someone in the admissions office and ask them. Only then will they really understand your circumstances and may even defer your acceptance until next year. Otherwise you would just be considered another student who turned down an acceptance. From what I hear dental schools don't look back on applicants that have turned down accpetances but if you make an effort to explain the situation and keep in touch with admissions I don't see why they would hold it against you. Good luck.

If it were me, I would set up a meeting to explain the situation to someone in the admissions office and ask them. Only then will they really understand your circumstances and may even defer your acceptance until next year. Otherwise you would just be considered another student who turned down an acceptance. From what I hear dental schools don't look back on applicants that have turned down accpetances but if you make an effort to explain the situation and keep in touch with admissions I don't see why they would hold it against you. Good luck.

Would declining an offer be something that the other two schools that I haven't applied to be something they would see as negative?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can talk with the school and possibly defer a year. this is offered at the school i attend, depending on the circumstances. This way you don't lose your spot, it' is simply moved to the following year.

I love the replies trying to weigh out my options, but let's say I do decline the invitation, does that ruin my chances of them even looking at my application for the next cycle, and how would other schools view that. Im pretty sure they will know I declined an offer at another school.

I love the replies trying to weigh out my options, but let's say I do decline the invitation, does that ruin my chances of them even looking at my application for the next cycle, and how would other schools view that. Im pretty sure they will know I declined an offer at another school.

It might ruin the chance at this particular school. But you don't sound pleased with that school anyway. How other schools will view it is anybody's guess. If you can explain it well, then it's doable. It's risky, but you've seen some examples on the forums of it being done. I don't know how the TX application is, but in AADSAS it asks about applying and being accepted/enrolling before.

I don't have an issue of holding off for whatever reason. I just don't want you to miss out on the tuition. Hopefully you can get one of the other TX schools since you are competitive and have all the requirements in place earlier this time.

The schools will know that you applied and interviewed at dental schools and gave up a spot. They will probably ask why you declined it. I don't think it will ruin your chances but it will mean you will have to sell yourself even harder through the next application cycle. You'll have to convince other schools that you won't leave their class just like you did with your current school.

For what it's worth, there's someone in my class who was a D1 three years ago, some family things happened and he took a leave of absence. Schools understand that things happen. His spot was secure for a couple of years and he had to re-do the D1 year, but at least he didn't have to reapply. If I were you, I would attend starting this year.

Fact is, nobody on this forum can give you a definite answer on how the admission committees will take it.

The schools will know that you applied and interviewed at dental schools and gave up a spot. They will probably ask why you declined it. I don't think it will ruin your chances but it will mean you will have to sell yourself even harder through the next application cycle. You'll have to convince other schools that you won't leave their class just like you did with your current school.

For what it's worth, there's someone in my class who was a D1 three years ago, some family things happened and he took a leave of absence. Schools understand that things happen. His spot was secure for a couple of years and he had to re-do the D1 year, but at least he didn't have to reapply. If I were you, I would attend starting this year.

I don't know. I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't accepted the offer I have, therefore I'm technically not "leaving" their class. In my opinion, wanting to wait for whatever reason, shouldn't be something that should be punished. It doesn't invalidate my past accomplishments. It's not dropping out when you haven't even begun, its not even the same as transferring. I never expected to be accepted, and its almost a "(d)amn if you do (d)amn) if you don't kind of thing. How many times do schools accept students who get multiple offers? They have to decline all but one. Maybe my situation is a little unique, in that I have an offer on the table, but the timing just isn't right for me to start. So its almost as though, it would have been better for the dental school, to not have accepted me at all, because declining might look bad on my part. Should it? Should deciding that this cycle just isn't the right time for me, tarnish my application, when everything else says I'm a good applicant? Out of the three dental schools in texas, I only applied to one, therefore this cycle I would be a new applicant to the other two schools, I just hope they don't see me with a totally different lens, when they see that I declined a previous offer. There's a time for everything, right now just isn't it for me. My passion for dentistry remains.

The more I read, the more I think you'll be okay. I have absolutely no basis for saying that...just feeling it.

You're right, you had already thrown in the towel this cycle and were gearing up for this next cycle, you only applied to this one school that you had since decided wasn't the place you wanted to go anyway, and you didn't expect to be accepted this late in the cycle. On top of that, personal issues have come up that you think will affect your first year. Maybe it'll help that you didn't formally accept and then bail at that last minute. All you could have done differently to avoid it all was to withdraw your application earlier. But again, it's late in the cycle. I'm sure you're not alone with leaving dangling applications out there.

If you're competitive and apply beyond those 2 Texas schools to increase odds you'll get in somewhere so you can keep the dream alive. I think with properly addressing this when it comes up you'll find an admissions comittee somewhere that will show some compassion. If it's TX, wonderful. Like what's been said, there is no definite rule on how schools look at this. It's a case-by-case thing. I don't think any schools would have a written policy about this that they follow every time it comes up. When it comes down to it, even after we've all worked our butts off and done everything the best we can, our fate comes down to how one or a few people feel about us. Gut-reaction style. There's never a guarantte for anyone. And these adcoms are people too, just like us. Just like some people here think it's crazy and risky, it's possible an admissions member could think the very same thing and there's nothing unfair about doing so.

Just playing devil's advocate here...

In my opinion, wanting to wait for whatever reason, shouldn't be something that should be punished.

Sure, but itsnt up to you, is it? Your opinion, is just that: Your opinion.

It doesn't invalidate my past accomplishments. It's not dropping out when you haven't even begun, its not even the same as transferring.

True, but,
I never expected to be accepted

Then you should never have applied. The adcoms could very well interpret your willingness to submit an application as a willingness to start should you be accepted, and why shouldnt they? What other scenario should they assume?

Schools dont particularly like to be viewed as 'backup plans'. And while there will be a whole list of schools that you will be a first time applicant at, they will indeed see that you had a prior acceptance and didnt take it.

How many times do schools accept students who get multiple offers? They have to decline all but one. Maybe my situation is a little unique, in that I have an offer on the table, but the timing just isn't right for me to start.
You're right in that your situation is different from a multi-acceptance applicant declining schools: they are declining spots because they are filling a certain spot.[/quote]

So its almost as though, it would have been better for the dental school, to not have accepted me at all, because declining might look bad on my part.

I think you meant to say that it would have been better for the applicant to not have applied at all until they are ready for the 'consequences' of earning an acceptance.

Should it? Should deciding that this cycle just isn't the right time for me, tarnish my application, when everything else says I'm a good applicant?

What answer are you looking for from this online forum? as if we have any say in the matter.

There's a time for everything, right now just isn't it for me. My passion for dentistry remains.

Ultimately you will have to choose. We dont know your situation as you do. Additionally, we are free to dole out advice because we have no skin in the game: all the risk and reward is for you alone.

Good luck.

It sounds like you have two things going on.... 1. You don't want to start dental school right now because of family issues. 2. You would rather go to one of the other two dental schools in Texas.

If that is the case, my first piece of advice would be that the best dental school in Texas is the one you have an offer from. You have a chance and should take it.

If your family issues are too much to deal with along wih dental school, then ask the school if you can delay matriculation for one year and tell them why.

If you really don't want to go to that school, then re-apply to the other two this cycle. You will probably get an acceptance based on what you've said. This is a gamble though and no one will feel sorry for you if you don't fet in next year since you turned down a good school this time.

I'm curious about what the family issue is. If it's something like your mom/dad/sibling got diagnosed with a terrible disease and they have 12 months to live, I doubt the school would hold it against you and they'd probably hold your spot for next year. If your girlfriend just dumped you and you can't stop crying, they won't be sympathetic.

Seems crazy to me. Unless someone in my family is dying, I wouldn't turn down a Texas school for anything.

If you reapply next year, every interviewer is going to ask why you turned down the first school. If you feel like your answer is sufficient, then go ahead.

What texas school do you not want to attend? They're all pretty good schools.

Thanks guys, I will be calling admission offices tomorrow to try to see what they think!!!! tricky situation, and I have to decide within the next couple of days.

I don't know. I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't accepted the offer I have, therefore I'm technically not "leaving" their class. In my opinion, wanting to wait for whatever reason, shouldn't be something that should be punished. It doesn't invalidate my past accomplishments. It's not dropping out when you haven't even begun, its not even the same as transferring. I never expected to be accepted, and its almost a "(d)amn if you do (d)amn) if you don't kind of thing. How many times do schools accept students who get multiple offers? They have to decline all but one. Maybe my situation is a little unique, in that I have an offer on the table, but the timing just isn't right for me to start. So its almost as though, it would have been better for the dental school, to not have accepted me at all, because declining might look bad on my part. Should it? Should deciding that this cycle just isn't the right time for me, tarnish my application, when everything else says I'm a good applicant? Out of the three dental schools in texas, I only applied to one, therefore this cycle I would be a new applicant to the other two schools, I just hope they don't see me with a totally different lens, when they see that I declined a previous offer. There's a time for everything, right now just isn't it for me. My passion for dentistry remains.

Dude trust me wait reapply! Go to where you want you have the stats! These guys r just scaring n confusing you! Worst case scenario u don't get in reapply next cycle, bc I bet yr young enuff. I'm going to dschool in my thirties! Don't stress take care of u you'll be ok!
:thumbup:

Dude trust me wait reapply! Go to where you want you have the stats! These guys r just scaring n confusing you! Worst case scenario u don't get in reapply next cycle, bc I bet yr young enuff. I'm going to dschool in my thirties! Don't stress take care of u you'll be ok!
:thumbup:

That's pretty much every applicants worst nightmare. If you have extenuating circumstances (death in the family, deploying overseas, or going through cancer treatment), then talk to the school about deferring your acceptance for a year. Otherwise just take your acceptance and run with it.

I can understand your situation as I've gone through something similar a while ago.
I really wanted dentistry but I wanted to be at a specific school. I got an offer from a different school and after thinking it all over I turned it down telling myself I would get in the next year. Next year comes, I reapply and get another offer from the same school, but waitlisted (finally refused) at my preferred school. So I go to that school that accepted me, then drop out after a few weeks. I told myself that I WOULD get in at my favorite school. Then the next year I got in and I was very happy with my choice.
Every situation is different, and as long as YOU are comfortable with your decisions and you fully assume them I think the rest isn't that important. You are the best judge for yourself, and if you really want something you will make it happen.;)

Best of luck with your decision