I have few biology questions to ask

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by yimfong, Apr 17, 2004.

1. yimfong

yimfong Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dear medical students, biology or related students, doctors....
    Please help me answer these questions:
    1. Other than the presence of valves in the veins, can the pumping action of the heart help to maintain the continuous flow of blood towards the heart?

2. If you caught a common cold and got a blocked nose, will sense of smelling be affected? WHY?

3. does sexual reproduction must involve male and female gametes? I think no because i barely remember some animal like sea horses can reproduce by fusion of two male gametes. Is this true?

your kind help will be highly appreciated!

2. Olanzapine

Olanzapine Membership Revoked
    Removed

1. Yes, if the heart stops beating (right-sided heart failure), blood backs up causing edema as blood pools in the veins. Muscle contractions (eg in your leg) and gravity all help continuous blood flow towards the heart too.
    2. Sensation of smell actually is a result of small particles of that substance tha tyou are smelling reaching your olfactory sensors and being interpreted. When your nose is stuffy, those tiny particles can't reach the receptors and you no longer smell anything.
    3. No, there is such a thing as asexual reproduction in certain animals where animals can clone themselves. Also, I recall learning that certain frog species can turn from female into male for reproduction purposes when necessary. I learned that from watching Jurassic Park, that's how those dinosaurs were able to reproduce even though they were all supposed to be female. I highly reccomend that you rent Jurassic Park if you are interested in learning more about this subject.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. megsMS

megsMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Check out parthenogenesis.