I have finally decided to drop Nursing, thank you for everyone's encouragement!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hit there, after many nights and days of thinking about what I should do about my situation, I finally decided to follow my heart and drop nursing school all together. I don't know how to tell my parents yet b/c I moved away from home to attend nursing school (this is the beginning of the first semester) oh well. As of now I am going to only concentrate on my pre-reqs first and then decide what I should major in... I am thinking of Biology as of this moment.. Well thank you again. ***I have a question.. I took my bio 1 and general chem 1 at a community college, i made a B in chem, do u think it's best for me to retake it again?

Members don't see this ad.

nanali said:
Hit there, after many nights and days of thinking about what I should do about my situation, I finally decided to follow my heart and drop nursing school all together. I don't know how to tell my parents yet b/c I moved away from home to attend nursing school (this is the beginning of the first semester) oh well. As of now I am going to only concentrate on my pre-reqs first and then decide what I should major in... I am thinking of Biology as of this moment.. Well thank you again. ***I have a question.. I took my bio 1 and general chem 1 at a community college, i made a B in chem, do u think it's best for me to retake it again?

No I think you should just go ahead and take all the other prereqs and do well in them and future sciences. That will help. And do well on the MCAT.

In other words concentrate on here and now rather than on the past.

Do some clinical shadowing or become an EMT or PCT to get clinical experience. Maybe a little volunteering. In other words, do well in school and get the clinical exposure and you'll be ok.

nanali said:

No, I wouldn't retake Chemistry, best to review and keep moving forward. B's are B's. Obviously many pre-meds are getting a significant amount of non-A's as the GPA average is nowhere near a 4.0. Was your Chem 1 class part of a two semester general Chemistry course or was it stand alone?

Congratulations on your decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My Chem 1 is part of a two semester general Chemistry course.

nanali said:
My Chem 1 is part of a two semester general Chemistry course.

Okay, so Chem 2 will move right along and build up more foundational knowledge. Try to make sure to go back over your weak spots and build them up. Fortunetly like most things in basic science courses the topics they cover tend to pop up over and over again as you take more and more science classes.

re-take the science courses you took at the community college. I've spoken to admission people, and they said they discourage you from taking science courses at community colleges (and that's probably because the courses you take there aren't as rigorous, don't prepare you as well, and are very more likely to be easier to get an A in). Go call some medical schools, and ask for your self, if you don't want to take my word on it. If you don't retake them, you'll be sorry when you find out the facts later. Good luck in pursuing your dream! :luck:

I was told by several adcoms that they don;t look down on CC classes much as long as you perform as well or better in you upper division sciences. They told me if your grades slip once your at the 4 year school it looks like you were ill prepared but if your grades stay good or improve they assume you got the basics you needed.

My best advice to you is to talk to med school admissions directors in your area and see what they say.

no. getting a B isn't a big deal. just try to get A's :).... one C is okie. but noooo D's