I have had absolutely no Biochem. Should I review it this summer?

Addicted To SDN

Bueller...Bueller...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
In Neverland with Peter Pan
Status
Hey Guys and Gals, I am a little worried because people started telling me that I was going to get my a## kicked by Biochem once I start medical school in the Fall. Personally, do you guys think that it would be beneficial if I reviewed the essential parts of Biochemistry? Although as of right now, I have no clue what the essential parts are. If so, what book would you recommend that I use to review and what material should I go over? I heard that Lippincott has a mean Biochem book. Thanks everyone! :D

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
I took biochem in UG and did well in it and med school biochem is still kicking my a$$. I wouldn't recomend reviewing it this summer b/c so much of it is just memorization that you will forget it all by the time you get there. I think my previous biochem experience was probably useful for the first week of class and then it became just about memorizing pathways. The best thing you can do this summer to help you next year is relax and get yourself prepared emotionally to deal with a big challenge.

OP
A

Addicted To SDN

Bueller...Bueller...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
In Neverland with Peter Pan
Status
erin682 said:
I took biochem in UG and did well in it and med school biochem is still kicking my a$$. I wouldn't recomend reviewing it this summer b/c so much of it is just memorization that you will forget it all by the time you get there. I think my previous biochem experience was probably useful for the first week of class and then it became just about memorizing pathways. The best thing you can do this summer to help you next year is relax and get yourself prepared emotionally to deal with a big challenge.

Crapstatic...can I start memorizing stuff now?

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
erin682 said:
I think my previous biochem experience was probably useful for the first week of class and then it became just about memorizing pathways.
I've heard the same thing from other med students... which makes me happy since i never took biochem in undergrad either :)

IllinoisStudent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
Status
I didn't get anything out of my biochem class either. I took it the sem I was preparing for MCATs. After a while, you just tend to forget pathways.

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
i don't know about y'all, but i am so burned out from undergrad that i think it would be horrible for me to review science in the summer. i think i wouldn't go into med school refreshed. and, honestly, i really don't think that reviewing will give you anything. if you haven't had the subject at all (i haven't), then you are going to have to put alot of time into it to actually get something out of it. i would just put alot of effort into during med school.

i have taken the bare minimum requirements for med school and am not worried at all.

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
THESE THREADS NEED TO END!!!

Under no circumstances should anyone be studying over the summer. First of all I don't remember stuff I learned two weeks ago and have to relearn in for the exams let alone remembering stuff from the summer.

Second, you only have two summers left. The one before first year and the one after the first year. Enjoy them. The next free summer will be when you retire.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
TheRussian said:
THESE THREADS NEED TO END!!!

Under no circumstances should anyone be studying over the summer. First of all I don't remember stuff I learned two weeks ago and have to relearn in for the exams let alone remembering stuff from the summer.

Second, you only have two summers left. The one before first year and the one after the first year. Enjoy them. The next free summer will be when you retire.
A-friggin'-men. You will mightily regret blowing some of the last days of complete freedom you will ever have in your life just to gain a one week advantage over your classmates. Have fun. Travel. You've earned a break.

Can I risk geting flamed? All you really need for medical school is a high school education and some basic science literacy. Seriously.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
Panda Bear said:
A-friggin'-men. You will mightily regret blowing some of the last days of complete freedom you will ever have in your life just to gain a one week advantage over your classmates. Have fun. Travel. You've earned a break.

Can I risk geting flamed? All you really need for medical school is a high school education and some basic science literacy. Seriously.
I won't flame u panda but I would say the level of maturity is not there at the end of high school. And to the OP.....I would def. just enjoy the time....u will have plenty of studying time in school.

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
Bigsheed920 said:
I won't flame u panda but I would say the level of maturity is not there at the end of high school. And to the OP.....I would def. just enjoy the time....u will have plenty of studying time in school.
Maturity? I don't know about that. I think that I'm a lot less mature now as a first year med student then I was as a high school senior.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Bigsheed920 said:
You're right, of course. I meant only that no special knowledge other than some basic science literacy is required at the start of medical school. I had never had a single anatomy, physiology, or biochemistry class before medical school and I didn't think it hurt me. You pretty much learn it all from the ground up.

But, let me say that pre-studying can't actually hurt you. You will just feel kind of silly half-way through first year with the rest of medical school stretching out ahead of you contemplating the fun you should have had.

Let's see....cramming for biochem or the Greek Islands for a few months....hmmm....let's see.....