1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I have had it with philosophy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mofuturedoc, May 4, 2004.

1. mofuturedoc

mofuturedoc Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had good feelings entering this semester, but Philosophy has given me a run for my money. I will be doing good to gain a c in the class. Everything else, A's. I hope DO schools will not look to hard at it. Philosophy is so complex, like medicine but less enjoyable to learn.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Man I loved philosophy. Then again if I dont end up getting into medical school in the first two try's than law school it is!

Adrian

4. AshDO

AshDO Member
    7+ Year Member

that's kind of ironic...throughout college i have been able to maintain straight a's...except for PHILOSOPHY..granted, i did get a B, which is fine..but i absolutely HATED that class..and to be honest, i really don't think the med schools are going to pay much attention to it..don't worry about it too much...

5. Ginkoba4

Ginkoba4 Member
    7+ Year Member

What? I don't understand people who don't like philosophy :D, especially if you're interested in medicine. Philosophy has everything to do with medicine, you deal with life and death and philosophy is all about life and death; how we ought to live our lives. But what was said about philosophy above is probably true. Doctors don't have to know anything about bioethics, ex. if I don't know whether not to kill this baby, I'll go ask the bioethicist. A lot of ethical questions are out of your hands because if we did what was right, we'd probably get sued left and right.

6. The only C on my transcript is from my intro to philosophy class. I hated philosophy like no other. It was the worst. Boring, dry, and wordy texts. However, I have since taken a few other philosophy classes and I now love it. In my 3 upper level philosophy classes since intro, I have gotten A's. My favorite realms of philosophy are ethical philosophy and philosophy of mind. What could be more interesting than discussing the nature of the human mind and consciousness? I hope that whatever med school I end up attending has some sort of philosophy club, and if not, I plan to start one. Beers and philosophy, what could be better?

7. AshDO

AshDO Member
    7+ Year Member

I completely agree with and understand that post...I actually did like SOME of philosophy, especially the subjects dealing with ethics, medicine, etc. The material I couldn't stand was 'are you a self?' or when my professor told us that 'anyone who is here is not truly a self..because you are here..to get a degree..to get a job..etc'..he told us that if you are goal oriented and have a plan, that you probably aren't a self..and he thought it was fun to pick on the science and math students just because we are so 'planned' and tend to think in 'black and white'..I just thought some of the stuff that we talked about was crazy...I mean, I'm here..I'm breathing...I'm a self..whatever that is anyway.. :rolleyes: