I have heard nothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summertime02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering if I should be panicking and looking for a plan B. I have filled out secondary applications for 7 schools and have heard nothing from any of them except that my file is complete and they are reviewing everything. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 27 MCAT score and was wondering if I have a shot at landing some interviews. I did not apply to the top 10 schools or anything and was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't panic yet. As everyone here will tell you, this is a VERY atypical application year. Almost every school is at least somewhat behind in reviewing our files. The couple schools I've talked to are already scheduling interviews well into January and maybe even Feb. by now. Your stats are definitely competitive (everything I've read says your numbers are the exact average of those accepted). I'd perhaps start worrying if you still haven't heard anything by the middle of January.

Also, when did you receive your file complete notices? Keep in mind that it may take up to (or perhaps even longer than) 2 months for the school to get to your file.

Good luck.

Oh, wow. Just noticed this is my 100th post!

Hey there,
I've decided that this website (though great info) makes me paranoid as well b/c of hearing how much farther along everyone else seems to be in the process. Not a lot of people get on and write, "another day where I have heard nothing!". By the way...I could have written that for the past month!

With everything going on this year, I think that a great deal of people are just starting in with interviews. (of course, there are exceptions...and congrats to those people! ;) )I have quite a few friends with great stats that haven't heard yet. I also have friends from last year who got in with similar scores as yours...especially with good EC's, personal statement, etc. I still think that a lot of school are going to look at "the whole package" in addition to your scores.

So, best of luck and try not to stress yet. It ain't over till the thin envelope comes! ;) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey....
IT IS SOOOO EARLY NOW. I think the interview process will go well into March (maybe April) this year. On "normal" years.... most of my friends did not start interviewing until January and they would continue until March or so. They usually heard the good news in May or June. I think the people on this site are mostly "extraordinary" candidates.

I also know people with Top 10 Medical School Stats that havent heard a single thing yet.

Originally posted by Monkeyrunner:
•Definitely don't panic yet. As everyone here will tell you, this is a VERY atypical application year. Almost every school is at least somewhat behind in reviewing our files. The couple schools I've talked to are already scheduling interviews well into January and maybe even Feb. by now. Your stats are definitely competitive (everything I've read says your numbers are the exact average of those accepted). I'd perhaps start worrying if you still haven't heard anything by the middle of January.

Also, when did you receive your file complete notices? Keep in mind that it may take up to (or perhaps even longer than) 2 months for the school to get to your file.

Good luck.

Oh, wow. Just noticed this is my 100th post!•••

Originally posted by Monkeyrunner:
•Definitely don't panic yet. As everyone here will tell you, this is a VERY atypical application year. Almost every school is at least somewhat behind in reviewing our files. The couple schools I've talked to are already scheduling interviews well into January and maybe even Feb. by now. Your stats are definitely competitive (everything I've read says your numbers are the exact average of those accepted). I'd perhaps start worrying if you still haven't heard anything by the middle of January.

Good luck.

Oh, wow. Just noticed this is my 100th post!•••

Okay this is good to hear!! I have received notices that my files were completed in October and November so I am trying not to worry too much yet but this site does tend to make one more paranoid when you hear about all these people being accepted--congrats to them! :)

Thank you guys for lifting my spirits--I am glad to know I am not alone in my stressing out. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those already accepted! I will try to keep my stress to a minimum til after the middle of January. :)

summertime02: don't worry at all. we have the same numbers and I have had few interviews so far. so, yes your numbers are good and you will get some interviews.

good luck, and i hope you get a interveiw soon. ;)

Just wanted to say thanks for the post - every day I take the dreaded walk to my mailbox, and nada. Glad to know others are in the same boat (but also wishing you all lots of luck) and hope you aren't pacing holes in your carpet like I am.

Luck to you all...

Don't worry about your stats. At my 2 state schools, the average accepted student has a 3.5 and a 27. Of course, average means there are some above that but some BELOW it as well. Your stats are good so you have no need to worry. I have a 3.7 and 28R and was accepted no problem to those two schools.

GOOD LUCK!

With all the threads about who's been interviewed and accepted where and when, maybe we should have a thread about those who haven't heard a word except "your file is under review" or "it will probably be another few weeks" or "I can't find your file, did you apply?" ;)

Seriously though, how representative is SDN. I used to think that SDN has all the top applicants since a lot of people here have interviews and acceptances really early. But then, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better. You know how, in ochem or bio or physics, the guy who kills the curve is the guy who sits in the back of the class and never talks. Well, perhaps the real killer applicants aren't on SDN. Or maybe they only come to watch, and don't post. Maybe SDN is not all full of top 10 school people. Don't get me wrong, I think you all are awesome and I would be worried to be compared to any of you by the adcom. But, what do you guys think? What portion of the applicants does SDN represent?

Well, gonna go look out the window and wait for the mailman. It's 7:40 pm here right now. But its alright, I have nothing better to do. I swear, I think the guy thinks I have a crush on him. Every time he comes, I come running with a big smile. And as he walks away (and I see that I have no letters from any schools) he can see my disappointment. I swear, soon the guy's gonna change his route. :D

I am in the same boat. I have had some secondaries complete since early September and have not heard a thing -- no rejections, no interviews. Patiently waiting...

Yeah, if you have non-competitive state schools to rely on...then there's no problem. If not, I believe you may have applied to too few schools...I mean 7? I applied to 25 (with completed secondaries at all of them) and I have a 30. Maybe the career services center here just paints a really distorted picture about how excruciatingly difficult it is to get into med school. Maybe you could still add some to AMCAS...

Hey summertime02,

I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your materials were submitted in oct./nov. A lot of very competitive candidates that I know have not heard anything either. This is a crazy year. Also keep in mind that medical schools don't have any real need to rush...just as long as they have their class filled by August. I'm pretty sure that interviewing will go well into March. Anyhow, good luck!

EC

Okay, I am the captain of this here boat! All my schools say that my file is still under review too. So that means either a) they haven't even touched it yet (app processed mid-Oct., Aug MCAT), or b) they have looked at it and have moved me over to the "hold for later" pile, fated for either rejection or interview. Something tells me that I won't hear anything until next spring.

I have not heard a thing either! I took the August MCAT, but I am getting nervous. I applied to 10 schools. I got one rejection early in the process (before scores and I have a good GPA), one hold for MCAT scores, 7 secondaries, and AMCAS failed to transmit my application to another school. Either this waiting is going to kill me or I am going to die of a heart attack racing out to the mailbox each day!

I am in the same boat as you guys-

Haven't heard a peep from anyone except a few postcards/emails from schools saying that they have my letters and secondaries. I guess it's kind of good this way- I stop expecting things in the mail, I just come home and if I get a letter, great, otherwise, work on PhD applications- the almighty backup plan.

Peace, patience, and good luck, y'all

So..you are doing the PhD backup plan too huh? I am not doing anything about that until I hear the final word from all the schools to which I applied. What type of PhD are you trying to get?