I have Horrible Grades, is there hope for me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firenoodle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after completing undergrad i have 2.67 overall GPA, i am currently in Graduate school with a 3.6 GPA. i just took my DATs and have a 20/20.

Do i have a Chance?? if so, what schools should i be looking into??

please help me out guys. What should i do to increase my chance of acceptance??

Edited//

thanx for the reply guys, so would u guys think its better if i retake some of the stuff i did bad in and show them i can get good grades in the same classes, since i am attending grad school in the same school as my undergrad?

Edited//

in response to Richnator:
to prepare for the PAT i just found as much problem as i can from all the books i got. i got stuff from Kaplan, Barrons, stuff from Ebay and they have a class in UCLA taught by an art teacher. those really helps. after awhile some of the problem u kinda know what the answer is and just look for it, and u learn how to look for key features in the answers.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the ADCOMs will look at your graduate GPA and notice that you have made improvements since your undergrad days. Plus you've got good DAT scores. Just try to apply to as many schools as you can and do it as soon as possible.

firenoodle said:
after completing undergrad i have 2.67 overall GPA, i am currently in Graduate school with a 3.6 GPA. i just took my DATs and have a 20/20.

firenoodle said:

Depeneds on the graduate degree. Many adcoms know this little fact that many grad school degrees are easier than undergrad. A post-Bac would have been a better choice for you to raise that low gpa.

If you started low in your undergrad and worked upwards in grades, then you are ok. But if you either have one term a 3.2 then next term 2.2 then a 3.0 then a 2.4 and so on or if you had straight 2.6...well you are in trouble.

They will question your ability to stay focused. If you can't wake up after 4 years and you know you want to go to dental school, why didn't you try more??? Thats what they will be asking themselves.

All I'm saying is that you better have a good reason for the low gpa and I mean a good reason. That 20 doesn't mean anything really, all it means is that you can study for a few weeks and do good. It doesn't mean you can study in a demanding environment for 4 more years (hence why your gpa is so important)

I'm not trying to be hard, just saying the truth so that you could be ready. I talk to admin people at my school so i have a tiny bit of inside info

I wish you all the best

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a decent DAT and a Master's always looks good. Despite your poor college grades I think you have a shot. The worst that can happen is you apply and don't get accepted. You will always regret it if you don't at least apply. Just be sure to include a broad range of schools --- especially private ones as they tend to be a little more forgiving of poor grades.

firenoodle said:

Edited//

thanx for the reply guys, so would u guys think its better if i retake some of the stuff i did bad in and show them i can get good grades in the same classes, since i am attending grad school in the same school as my undergrad?
I think you have a good chance. 20/20 are nice scores. Just apply and see. You improvement with your graduate gpa shows you got what it takes. How did you prepare for PAT btw?

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
You have a decent DAT and a Master's always looks good. Despite your poor college grades I think you have a shot. The worst that can happen is you apply and don't get accepted. You will always regret it if you don't at least apply. Just be sure to include a broad range of schools --- especially private ones as they tend to be a little more forgiving of poor grades.

As far as the low undergrad GPA thing goes, which avenue would provide the most support (looks better to dental schools)...a post bac program, a MS degree, retaking the science classes, or just taking additional undergrad science classes. My undergrad GPA is pretty low, below 2.5. Thoughts?

william&mary said:
As far as the low undergrad GPA thing goes, which avenue would provide the most support (looks better to dental schools)...a post bac program, a MS degree, retaking the science classes, or just taking additional undergrad science classes. My undergrad GPA is pretty low, below 2.5. Thoughts?

scratch taking additional undergrad science classes, you're not going to pull a <2.5 to anything worthwhile. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with a MS degree in some science field and get ridiculously good grades...

jay228 said:
scratch taking additional undergrad science classes, you're not going to pull a <2.5 to anything worthwhile. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with a MS degree in some science field and get ridiculously good grades...

seconded

jay228 said:
Thanks, this plan makes sense.