I have my home EM rotation in September...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCasta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I talked with my department and they said they could probably get the SLORs out for a Sep rotation by the first week of October. From my understanding, applications are downloaded on Oct 1st. Should I not apply to any programs (or just 1) if I don't get my SLORs by the 1st, and then add the programs after my letters are uploaded?

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

So I talked with my department and they said they could probably get the SLORs out for a Sep rotation by the first week of October. From my understanding, applications are downloaded on Oct 1st. Should I not apply to any programs (or just 1) if I don't get my SLORs by the 1st, and then add the programs after my letters are uploaded?

Thanks for any advice

Apply to all of your programs regardless of the SLOR. Many programs will send you an interview even with your application incomplete. I would remind them to turn it in as soon as possible though, so that the programs can have a thorough look at your application.

APPLY EARLY... Regardless of the 'status' of your application.

The SINGLE thing YOU can do to increase you chances of matching is APPLYING EARLY.

The SECOND thing YOU can do to increase your chances of matching is to apply to 'enough' programs from the start. 'Enough' is relative, and hopefully your advisor will appropriately recommend that number to you.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something similar happened to a bunch of people at my school last year. Just turn in your application ASAP and let the SLORs come when they will.

APPLY EARLY... Regardless of the 'status' of your application.

The SINGLE thing YOU can do to increase you chances of matching is APPLYING EARLY.

The SECOND thing YOU can do to increase your chances of matching is to apply to 'enough' programs from the start. 'Enough' is relative, and hopefully your advisor will appropriately recommend that number to you.

Good Luck.

This. Yep. This, FTW.

Thanks for any advice

Why so late?

If this is the school doing this to you, they are really screwing you. I would really try to get either a July or August rotation.

Are you doing aways? Doing an away before your home rotation sounds dangerous...

I concur with the above, apply to all you programs on DAY ONE.

When is the best time to take Step 2? Does it also need to be done by Sept/Oct?

When is the best time to take Step 2? Does it also need to be done by Sept/Oct?

In general, the sooner the better.

If you're an IMG, July.
If you're an AMG with a 250+ on Step 1, whenever you want.
Anybody else? Aug - Nov (with the caveat that if you had a 240 on Step 1 and you're from a top 10 MD school, you're in better shape and can wait longer than the RVUCOM student with a 195).

Thank you everyone, I always get great advice in this forum.

Why so late?

If this is the school doing this to you, they are really screwing you. I would really try to get either a July or August rotation.

Are you doing aways? Doing an away before your home rotation sounds dangerous...

Yeah, my school did this. I ranked July for my home EM program as #1 for my lottery selection but ended up in September. And several people managed to get ahead of me on the waitlist for July/Aug in case someone drops.

I am doing a Med Tox away rotation at UC Davis in July. I am curious why you think an away rotation is dangerous before a home rotation?

Since you mention this, I have a 242 step 1, average preclinical grades, 1 research unrelated to EM (and most likely will not do anymore) some nice comments in 3rd year, and I have 1 strong Peds EM letter from 3rd year. Assuming I can get decent letters from my home EM program and my Med Tox away rotation, how many programs would you recommend I apply to? Is 40 enough or overkill?

I think 40 would be fine just as long as you make sure you apply tor a fair number of "safety" programs. I put the term in quotation marks because it's fairly difficult to say which programs you can bunch under that term. I would definitely advise you to show the list of programs you're applying for to some of your home faculty for feedback.