I have Neurofibromatosis. Will I get rejected ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norman815

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with NF1 when I was 5. and I've had lots of scoliosis surgeries. The NF1 spots/ tumors are not visible.
The NF is what drove me to thinking about medical school. I'm now at my last year of Uni.
Will the fact that I have NF hurt my med school admission?
Should I mention my condition on my PS and Interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will your NF1 symptoms prevent you from being a capable physician? If not, I don't see why it would hurt your chances at admission

Will your NF1 symptoms prevent you from being a capable physician? If not, I don't see why it would hurt your chances at admission

Hey, thank you for the reply.
Would you suggest I mention my condition on my PS and Interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
not on principle, but every institution has technical standards that must be fulfilled for medical students. I'd recommend googling technical standards for some schools youre interested in as many times those standards are available online.

good luck.

Hey, thank you for the reply.
Would you suggest I mention my condition on my PS and Interview?
If your condition led to your interest in medicine, it couldn't hurt to mention it (as long as it doesn't prevent you from meeting the school's technical requirements, which it probably doesn't).

If your condition led to your interest in medicine, it couldn't hurt to mention it (as long as it doesn't prevent you from meeting the school's technical requirements, which it probably doesn't).
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
No, you won't get rejected. As long as you can meet the technical standards required of a doctor, you'll be fine.

This would be OK to mention in your PS...lots of applicants mention medical conditions in either themselves or loved ones are a primary motivation of "Why Medicine?"

I was diagnosed with NF1 when I was 5. and I've had lots of scoliosis surgeries. The NF1 spots/ tumors are not visible.
The NF is what drove me to thinking about medical school. I'm now at my last year of Uni.

Reactions: 1 user

There are core competencies for medical school as recommended (mandated?) by AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/
So long as you can meet these requirements, you're good to go.

As far as PS and interview go, I would recommend you frame your condition as what led you first to medicine; your activities and other experiences should be the bulk of your reasons for medical school and really demonstrate your development in exploring the career.

There are core competencies for medical school as recommended (mandated?) by AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/
So long as you can meet these requirements, you're good to go.

As far as PS and interview go, I would recommend you frame your condition as what led you first to medicine; your activities and other experiences should be the bulk of your reasons for medical school and really demonstrate your development in exploring the career.
Thank you for the advise! I feel so relieved!
I was worried about this for quite a while.

I think you will find a large community of people cheering you on in your pursuit of medicine (myself included). One of the doctors I work with mapped the NF1 gene back in the golden era of positional cloning. He still runs a weekly NF clinic and has the best bedside manner I've ever seen with patients and families. You got dealt a difficult roll of the genetic dice, but it seems like you are already doing great things. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I had two spinal fusions and I made my personal statement revolve around a theme of scars. Up to you

Please keep in mind that the purpose of medical school is to prepare students for post-graduate training and licensure as physicians (and surgeons).
Your job will be taking care of other people. If your condition helped you develop an interest in the science of the human body and in using scientific knowledge (including social science) to help others, then you have the start of a personal statement that will work. Don't make the personal statement about you and your interest in your condition but get some experience shadowing,volunteering and/or working with patients in a health care setting to demonstrate that you know what it is to care for others and you are ready to make that your life's work.

Reactions: 2 users
Please keep in mind that the purpose of medical school is to prepare students for post-graduate training and licensure as physicians (and surgeons).
Your job will be taking care of other people. If your condition helped you develop an interest in the science of the human body and in using scientific knowledge (including social science) to help others, then you have the start of a personal statement that will work. Don't make the personal statement about you and your interest in your condition but get some experience shadowing,volunteering and/or working with patients in a health care setting to demonstrate that you know what it is to care for others and you are ready to make that your life's work.
Thank you!

I had two spinal fusions and I made my personal statement revolve around a theme of scars. Up to you
Sorry if this is too personal. But did the person giving the interview asked you about it? and did it lead to an acceptance?

Sorry if this is too personal. But did the person giving the interview asked you about it? and did it lead to an acceptance?
I have mentioned my health condition in interviews and it has always been received positively. I would just recommend being sure that along with telling your story, you come full circle towards how it's going to make you a better physician such as how it's affected your perspective on patient care.

Reactions: 1 users

Ultimately, the long and short of it is that your medical condition, provided it doesn't impact your ability to function as a physician, should be either a neutral or positive component of your application. Presumably, your perspective on health care has been impacted by your condition, and with hard work and good writing, the insight you've gained will shine through on your application and help you.

Reactions: 1 users