"I have no chance at any MD schools" ...but I'm applying to harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depakote said:
I'm convinced Harvard Med doesn't actually exist. It's just a couple of Harvard Buissness grads with a PO box that figured:

"Hey, we set up a med school so exclusive NO ONE GETS IN, advertise to the select markets, EVERYONE WILL APPLY. Charge $100 a head and reject everyone. Send 20% to some Joe at USNews to make up some phonie rankings making us #1 and we'll never have to work a day in our life."

Brilliant idea really.

:laugh:
Depakote, you're not my hero, but you're right up there after that post!

Seriously, that Harvard nonsense is very overrated. I accepted my 2nd-tier status due to my 32P MCAT (despite my high GPA and strong EC's, it is still an MCAT contest), and I was able to make some very good choices based on that. I think that's half the game, knowing where you stand among your peers. I'm actually quite proud I didn't have Harvard on my list of reach schools, I opted for some other equivalents in the 34/35 MCAT range.

Members don't see this ad.

Well talk about random, after i took my first mcat i had a 27, and i didnt know what i would get on the august retake- i ended up with a 32R. i was glad i put a couple reaches on there, even though my second score was below average for those reaches.

I ended up rejected flat out from 3 third-tier schools
Got an interview and a waitlist at a top 3 school
Accepted at a second tier and pleased as punch to be going there...

This whole process is so damn arbitrary, you might as well apply wherever you want. Someone reading your application may see something they like= "wow i like to go skydiving in costa rica too! let's bring them in for an interview" who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on applying to Harvard very late in the season. My strategy is to (touch wood) get an acceptance at ANY school, then fire off an email to Harvard saying "thanks, but no thanks" before they can deny me.

This way, I will tell anyone who's interested that though I received my MD from Mediocre State U, I turned down Harvard.

SpinEcho13 said:
Funny you should chime in, you're exactly the person I thought of when I opened this thread.

Sometimes, you just have to be realistic. I am doubtful of my chances at being interviewed by half the schools on your list and my application is significantly stronger than yours in every aspect (except URM status :rolleyes: ) but good luck to you, maybe that will be the key factor.

It is also interesting to see how anyone who gets better than a 33 on MCAT will apply to Harvard, no matter how abysmal their GPA or EC's are.

What I think people fail to realize is that the randomness thrown in this whole process has a lot to do with EC's, and unless yours are UNBELIEVABLE (not just some shadowing and a little research or a mission trip to some 3rd world country) you really stand zero chance at being accepted at some super selective school unless you are very close to the numeric averages.
Yeah, I totally agree. Especially for Harvard it seems as though ECs are often the dealbreaker and a lot of people don't realize this.

quantummechanic said:
yeah really, the test obviously doesn't test your critical thinking skills or your grasp of basic science :rolleyes:

I love it when premeds debate the validity of the mcat. Idiots.

I never said the MCAT was not valid...I said it is not everything. To discard someone with a high GPA because they did not get >35 on the MCAT is absurd. There is something to be said about one's hard work and dedication that got them the high GPA.

Never debated that the MCAT is a critical thinking skills test either...what I did debate is whether or not it tests one's MASTERY of the basic sciences...I personally don't think it tests that at all. We can argue about it all day...I'll continue to share my opinion on this matter.

Oh, and right back at ya jackass.

danjo said:
To discard someone with a high GPA because they did not get >35 on the MCAT is absurd.

Not if your on the adcom at a top school and you have the pick of the litter to choose from. Thousands of applications plus a busy schedule means the mcat scores sometimes have to be used. Is it fair? Probably not. But then again, I'm not on an adcom so what do I know?

Plus, very few schools, including some of the best, even have a median mcat above a 35, so....

SpinEcho13 said:
Funny you should chime in, you're exactly the person I thought of when I opened this thread.

Sometimes, you just have to be realistic. I am doubtful of my chances at being interviewed by half the schools on your list and my application is significantly stronger than yours in every aspect (except URM status :rolleyes: ) but good luck to you, maybe that will be the key factor.

It is also interesting to see how anyone who gets better than a 33 on MCAT will apply to Harvard, no matter how abysmal their GPA or EC's are.

What I think people fail to realize is that the randomness thrown in this whole process has a lot to do with EC's, and unless yours are UNBELIEVABLE (not just some shadowing and a little research or a mission trip to some 3rd world country) you really stand zero chance at being accepted at some super selective school unless you are very close to the numeric averages.

Funny you should think I care what you think. Don't you think I know what my scores are??? THEY ARE MY SCORES! Of course I'm aware the chance is very small. Still I want to try and you should worry more about yourself than others.
Thanks but no thanks. :thumbdown:

A thread in my honor!? I'm flattered! :D

coco11 said:
So...I'm not trying to be mean with this thread, I just find this to be an interesting phenomenon.

Many people on mdapps or in the WAMC thread make posts asking if they can get into any school at all - say things like "should i consider caribbean?".

Then you look at their list, and have very low GPA/MCAT/weak activities - but then have Harvard/Yale on their lists. I mean, I am definitely applying to reach schools too but at some point you have to just feel like you're wasting your money. Also, if a person genuinely feels like they wouldn't get in TO ANY SCHOOL, why would they add some of the most competitive ones?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Schaden Freud said:

Haha, that's a nice angle. I feel rather honored, too. ;)

Schaden Freud said:

you have a 35 on the mcat. you aren't exactly who this thread was directed at. ;)

Hmm... People are getting rather vicious in this thread. As a new member I hadn't seen anything on here like this, so I hope its not the norm.

Play nice, we all need support. Not all of us have the luxury of being surrounded by intelligent people. SDN is important for a lot of people, both borderline and amazing. If someone with low scores wants to apply to Harvard, support them all the way, tell them everyone has a shot, and realize that the person you just supported may well be your peer in the field 10 years down the line.

Just my 2 cents.

TauPathology said:
Not all of us have the luxury of being surrounded by intelligent people.

One of the better quotes I've read here.

Members don't see this ad :)
SpinEcho13 said:

Hmmm... *checks AMCAS* no, no Harvard. so not ANYONE who gets better than 33.

But I really agree about the randomness having a ton to do with ECs. You just really don't know which ec will make which adcom go, "Oh how interesting, let's invite them for an interview" and I'm sure it's affected by everything from personal experiences of that adcom member to time of day and what they had for lunch.

Ana, while we are on this subject- why aren't you applying to Harvard? I know, I know, it's completely unoriginal to apply there- but it really is a great school.

Anastasis said:
Hmmm... *checks AMCAS* no, no Harvard. so not ANYONE who gets better than 33.

But I really agree about the randomness having a ton to do with ECs. You just really don't know which ec will make which adcom go, "Oh how interesting, let's invite them for an interview" and I'm sure it's affected by everything from personal experiences of that adcom member to time of day and what they had for lunch.

Schaden Freud said:
Ana, while we are on this subject- why aren't you applying to Harvard? I know, I know, it's completely unoriginal to apply there- but it really is a great school.
I'm just not into the research thing - As far as Wash U and Mich - let's just say Q talked me into them.

Everything I've read about Harvard I just don't think it'll be a good fit for me. Plus my GPA kinda blows :laugh: (as far as harvard goes).

p9142 said:
If premedmachine was still here, he would remind you that you are all a bunch of *****s for applying to Harvard with anything under a 3.97gpa/41mcat!!!

Didn't he say you needed a couple of publications in your name as well?

If only he were still here... :D

notdeadyet said:
I am planning on applying to Harvard very late in the season. My strategy is to (touch wood) get an acceptance at ANY school, then fire off an email to Harvard saying "thanks, but no thanks" before they can deny me.

This way, I will tell anyone who's interested that though I received my MD from Mediocre State U, I turned down Harvard.

That technique should be patented.

TauPathology said:
Hmm... People are getting rather vicious in this thread. As a new member I hadn't seen anything on here like this, so I hope its not the norm.

Play nice, we all need support. Not all of us have the luxury of being surrounded by intelligent people. SDN is important for a lot of people, both borderline and amazing. If someone with low scores wants to apply to Harvard, support them all the way, tell them everyone has a shot, and realize that the person you just supported may well be your peer in the field 10 years down the line.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

TauPathology said:

Just my 2 cents.
I guess I just didn't articulate my point very well to start with.

My original question was basically aimed at those people (based on comments in the WAMC thread and on people's mdapps)...who act like they have no shot at ANY med school. This is coming out of their own mouths (computers). They are the ones saying they have no chance- I'm not judging anyone else's gpa.

So I think "oh this poor person, let me see if I can offer them any advice, since they think med school is hopeless for them". I then open their mdapps profile, and I see a whole list of top tier schools, including harvard.

No one would apply to any school if they didn't feel like they had some iota of a chance there. So if this person TRULY felt like they had no chance at an allo school - they would certainly not be applying to HARVARD. that was the point of this thread. that those people aren't truly insecure about their chances, and in fact do think that they have a shot and are either 1) truly ignorant and don't realize harvard is a top school or 2) actually DO think they have a chance and are just looking for attention.

I am not judging your scores people. Apply wherever you want.

/rant

TauPathology said:

Just my 2 cents.

Great reply!!!

Hey kids. Interesting thread. Just goes to show that some of us have no idea where we should be applying, myself probably included. :laugh: On a related note, has anyone ever noticed how people from Hah-vard always seem to bring up the fact that they went to Harvard? It is like it keeps coming up like word vomit for them, over and over again Harvard this and Harvard that. I have known a few people who I work with that are this way and I feel like saying "WE GET IT! YOU WENT TO HARVARD! YOU'RE SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE! NOW SHUT UP!" Also, on Project Runway, this one chick (who got eliminated first, take that harvard!) kept saying that she went there over and over. She should get together with my coworkers and they should have a giant harvard a-hole fest.

/rant

re: Project Runway

I was so happy when that chick was eliminated. She was ugly too.

notdeadyet said:

:laugh: :thumbup: I like you