I have no chance of getting into med school. What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedstudentdoctor1018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a 4 year university in NY with a very low gpa. 2.4 overall, and 2.11 bio. I am so mad at myself for what has happened over the past 4 years. Sex, drugs, partying, drinking = 2.4 and 2.11. I also got pregnant twice because of these habits which has affected my studying. I never got a shadowing position or any job because of my low gpa. MCATS 490.

My 2.4 and 2.11 were because I retook many classes over. But I was so obsessed with guys and other things that I got really distracted. I actually had a 1.9 before and was put on probation at my school.

I feel like a total loser because my ex-bf is a nurse and my ex-best friend is a nurse (going to grad school soon). I was a total bitch to both of them because I had this egotistical view that doctors are better than nurses. However, they ended up somewhere and are happy. Should I become a nurse? Give up? Go back to school.

ALSO, my parents have no idea of the mess I'm in because I've been photoshopping my test scores and screenshots for the past 4 years. I feel so horrible. I owe about 50,000 in loans. My dad is paying it all off for me. But he probably wont once he finds out I almost failed out of college.

Please help....

PS I got rejected from MANY Caribbean med schools. There is no chance for that either.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forget about med school. Get a job, any job. Do some growing up.

Reactions: 26 users
Did you take out loans? Pay those off first.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wont sugarcoat it, Honestly at a 2.4 and 2.11, and 490 mcat, you no longer have a chance for an MD. You can do grade replacement for DO, but that's a lot of money you'd have to invest, and your 490 on MCAT will ruin you if schools average the MCAT (as most do). Any healthcare profession (nurses included) values responsibility and intelligence. Over four years you haven't done much to exemplify either. Better find a great plan B that doesn't rely much on GPA.

I graduated from a 4 year university in NY with a very low gpa. 2.4 overall, and 2.11 bio. I am so mad at myself for what has happened over the past 4 years. Sex, drugs, partying, drinking = 2.4 and 2.11. I also got pregnant twice because of these habits which has affected my studying. I never got a shadowing position or any job because of my low gpa. MCATS 490.

My 2.4 and 2.11 were because I retook many classes over. But I was so obsessed with guys and other things that I got really distracted. I actually had a 1.9 before and was put on probation at my school.

I feel like a total loser because my ex-bf is a nurse and my ex-best friend is a nurse (going to grad school soon). I was a total bitch to both of them because I had this egotistical view that doctors are better than nurses. However, they ended up somewhere and are happy. Should I become a nurse? Give up? Go back to school.

ALSO, my parents have no idea of the mess I'm in because I've been photoshopping my test scores and screenshots for the past 4 years. I feel so horrible.

Please help....

PS I got rejected from MANY Caribbean med schools. There is no chance for that either.

Geez, are you trolling?

Yeah, med school is out for you. What do you mean "should I become a nurse?" Do you want to become a nurse or not?

I am NOT trolling. I am asking for honest opinions. I have done a lot of stupid things in college. I am really desperate to become a pediatrician. However, I thought I could take the easy way out and go to a Caribbean med school, but a lot of them rejected me as well.

You're better off not going there.

In general, how serious are you pursuing medicine (i.e. physician, PA, NP, nurse, etc.)?

I was raised with a really bad mindset. Be a doctor or that's it. I come from a family of doctors. Both my parents are doctors. My 2 older siblings are doctors. I have one brother who is a dentist. That's it.

They always told me nurses were stupid and most people go to nursing school because they can't get into med school. Can you imagine if I became a nurse? If you can become a doctor, why become a nurse?

I think you should take some time off, work somewhere, acquire skills, self-reflect deeply, gain maturity, and decide whether you want to pursue medicine (or any healthcare field for that matter, including nursing).

Reactions: 12 users
I was raised with a really bad mindset. Be a doctor or that's it. I come from a family of doctors. Both my parents are doctors. My 2 older siblings are doctors. I have one brother who is a dentist. That's it.

They always told me nurses were stupid and most people go to nursing school because they can't get into med school. Can you imagine if I became a nurse? If you can become a doctor, why become a nurse?

The fact that your parents/siblings think that nurses are merely failed medical school applicants is harsh and invalid. I rarely, if ever, hear of applicants switching from medical school to nursing school. PA, NP, and podiatry, perhaps.

First and foremost, I believe you need to take a step back and come back to reality. If you solely believe that physicians are the only ones responsible for a patient's treatment, oh boy. You're in for some surprises if you continue pursuing medicine.

If you were to somehow afford to pretty much redo your entire bachelor's degree (plus an additional post-bacc/graduate/SMP) with near 4.0's, do very well on the MCAT (515+), get hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of clinical experience, and somehow convince the admission committee that you've matured, maybe.. just maybe you have a shot down the road. This in no way even suggests that there is hope unless you change your attitude about medicine.

Reactions: 1 user

ALSO, my parents have no idea of the mess I'm in because I've been photoshopping my test scores and screenshots for the past 4 years. I feel so horrible. I owe about 50,000 in loans. My dad is paying it all off for me. But he probably wont once he finds out I almost failed out of college.

Please help....

Wish I went to your uni.. :naughty:

All jokes aside, I think Lannister said it perfectly.

If your parents told you that, then they are in turn even more stupid than nurses apparently are....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you have any runins with the law during your party years? Any IAs? You won't be going to medical school for multiple years, get a job and make some money while you sort yourself out.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that kind of family situation, my best advice to you is to do some very serious reflection about why you want to go into a medical field, if you do. Growing up being told "it's doctor or nothing" is going to skew how you think, and until you get away from that, you won't be able to think about how you really feel about your future career. Try to find work, any work, that will allow you to live away from your family. Think about your personal reasons for going into the medical field, not your parents' reasons. It's your life, not theirs. Best of luck.

With a 2.11 do you think you can actually do well in nursing school let alone get in? I'm not sure any of these are relevant options for you.

Reactions: 5 users
this is ridiculous and so obviously a troll
and even if not, they could read enough on here to figure out their options going forward

Reactions: 12 users
I agree with getting a job first before trying school again. I think some real world work experience could help you.

If trolling then forget it.
If not then seek help, like today.

Reactions: 1 users
decide whether you want to pursue medicine

Agreed, except for this part. With all due respect, this is pretty bad advice. No, OP should not decide whether she wants to pursue medicine. It's just not going to happen, and it would be an enormous waste of time to put any effort into such a hopeless pursuit. Time to completely switch goals.

Agreed, except for this part. With all due respect, this is pretty bad advice. No, OP should not decide whether she wants to pursue medicine. It's just not going to happen, and it would be an enormous waste of time to put any effort into such a hopeless pursuit. Time to completely switch goals.
I agree. OP has had every academic opportunity and squandered them all.
She has falsified documents, betrayed her parents' trust and has thus stolen from them.
I can't imagine how many years it would take to put this choo choo back on the rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
She has falsified documents, betrayed her parents' trust and thus stolen from them.
I can't imagine how many years it would take to put this choo choo back on the rails.

Just being slightly optimistic :p

But agreed, pursuing medicine at this point, even with years of redemption + maturity, is practically unrealistic sadly.

She has falsified documents, betrayed her parents' trust and thus stolen from them.
Choo choo or coo coo?

My advice : make another account to troll again.

Reactions: 8 users
Lol I'm hoping this is a joke, but if not then my advice would be to get off SDN and forget about pursuing any type of career in medicine. Try getting a job and work towards becoming independent (since I think you've stolen enough from your parents at this point).

Jeeze, even the Carib diploma mill shave standards. they did you a favor because you would have flunked out and been further in debt.

My advice is get ANY job, and start paying off your get.

Get some counseling as well.

Consider joining the armed forces.

And frankly, F your family. Your life's choices are yours, even if they were bad choices. Even if trolling, in a situation like this, I would surmise you made said choices to rebel against your family's mindsets.

I am NOT trolling. I am asking for honest opinions. I have done a lot of stupid things in college. I am really desperate to become a pediatrician. However, I thought I could take the easy way out and go to a Caribbean med school, but a lot of them rejected me as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Jeeze, even the Carib diploma mill shave standards. they did you a favor because you would have flunked out and would have stolen even more from your dad.

My advice is get ANY job, and start paying off your get.

Get some counseling as well.

And frankly, F your family. Your life's choices are yours, even if they were bad choices. Even if trolling, in a situation like this, I would surmise you made said choices to rebel against your family's mindsets.
FTFY

If trolling please see reddit for comical responses.

But seriously, my advice for you and others in similar situations who may read this post:

I don't think medicine is hopeless for you. At an open house for a medical school, that I shall not name (MD too) one 4th year student talked about why he went into medicine and pathway there. He failed out of college twice, but got his act together and somehow redefined himself enough to convince the admissions committee. He was 39. I'm not sure if it will take you that long to do the right thing. But my point is, you know where you want to be. You know what you need to do to get there. Let go of things that don't provide meaning to your life. I'm not trying to sell you false hope, or tell a dream story. I'm stating my honest opinion. If you want something bad enough you can do it. If you don't believe me, checkout table A-24 on AAMC. It gives a breakdown of the # of applicants and applicants accepted based on GPA. Some (VERY FEW) 2.4s got an acceptance. There were even two <2.0s that got an acceptance. I don't know their situations but I can guarantee they worked their tail off to get that "yes".

Get a job, have life experiences that challenge you to grow as an individual. Once you've done that, pick up the books again. DO would be better since they do grade replacement. Retake all those classes bringing your GPA down, even if you have to get an associates from community college. Honestly, I don't think any type of professional program will let you in if you cannot prove yourself or change your attitude. Not nursing, physician's assistant programs, physical therapy, podiatry- none. You'll need an army behind you (providing absolutely stellar LORs) backing you up- that means shadowing, volunteering, a great work ethic, more than the average applicant, etc. If the only school that you get into has a COA of $120k, at the end of the day that may just be the price of your own personal satisfaction. And by all means if there is something going on personal with you do not fear talking to someone about it or reaching out for help.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
OP get out in the real world, work, grow as a person and maybe in about 20 years you can go back to college and work on getting into med school then.
MD won't touch you, it would require years of study right now for a DO to touch you. Carrib won't touch you even.

You've also got no shot at PA

If it's trolling then I wouldn't be surprised.

If you are serious, my opinion is: you don't deserve to go to medical school or practice in any medicine related fields at all with that kind of credentials. I have seen people who screw up one or two semesters, but wasting all 4 years means you are not only insincere about your career goal, but also you are not ready to do ANYTHING.

Get a job , any job and pay off your own loans. You've lied to your parents, made fun of your friends, blew every chance you had a college, retook classes and still only managed a 2.4 and 2.1. It's time to fess up to your parents. Time to grow up and stop whining. Take a giant stop back. Forget about medicine. Spend the next few years getting help for yourself and getting yourself together. Volunteer at homeless shelters and hospice centers. Take a big step outside of your comfort zone and help people way less fortunate than you. If at some time in the next years you decide to try school again , then good for you. Retake classes again and see if you can somehow get yourself competitive for DO school. Try apologizing to your nurse friends. They work hard everyday to help people. I doubt you'd be accepted at nursing school at this point and with your bad attitude you shouldn't even try.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

First and foremost, if you have lingering drug/addiction/mental health problems then please seek counseling. No matter what you have done you are still a human being and your health and happiness matters.

HOWEVER i'm going to be completely honest with you.

It sounds to me that you want the title of Pediatrician, and not the workload.

Falsifying grade reports and lying to your parents in a major way (basically scamming your dad out of your student loan debt) shows you lack the ethical and moral principles to serve as a physician.

Getting pregnant twice shows that you are shortsighted and ignorant (or just indifferent) to healthcare related risks. Im not judging you for your pregnancy, but If motherhood is not your desire then you should have taken steps to avoid it. Especially after the first instance.

Blaming your bad grades on an unplanned pregnancy is not only a bad excuse, it shows that you cannot hold yourself accountable for your own actions. Especially considering you had 7 semesters to wake up and fix your GPA and squandered all of them. I know many MDs who did awful freshman year, but took it as a wake-up call and studied their butts off to pull up their GPA. A large part of being a physician is being able to own up to your mistakes. What happens if you make a mistake as a physician/resident? Will you blame the nurses you think you are better than? Blame your attending? Neither of these options will end well for you.

If you have to ask us if you should try nursing or PA, then you should NOT try nursing or PA. Becoming an RN/PA (while much easier than becoming an MD) Is still a long and grueling process. It is designed to weed out people like you whom aren't fully committed to it. Nurses/PAs are just like MDs, they have the same drive to serve, the only difference is in what capacity. Some choose this route because they don't have the funds, grades or time for medical school. Others choose it because they are in a better position to INTERACT with patients instead of getting caught up in the responsibility of being a doctor. Either way they are noble professions and critical to our success as physicians.

I'm not trying to tear you down here. I don't see the drive or commitment that will allow you to succeed in any aspect of medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.

This is my face thinking of you hurting.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14631-1362379470-3.gif

I have around 2000 hours of clinical experience as a CNA (for med school), and I have not met a single doctor with that perception of nurses. Also, I met numerous CNAs that were rejected from nursing school with a 3.0 GPA. The first thing you should do is tell your parents the truth. How can your rob your parents of their money? The reality of that speaks for itself, and is another reason you should not be involved in patient care. Falsifying documents for monetary gain is basically fraud.

Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.

tumblr_mvlf7wEoGk1qcwyxho1_400.gif

Reactions: 6 users

Why do you keep posting this. Please stop. Please.

Please help....

Maybe you could try a foreign medical school? Some may take you because you are American I've heard of that happening. You may have a hard time getting into an American residency but it's possible.

I know that I promised I would lay low but since I have one more night before orientation, I wanted to share a quick thought before things get crazy.

I am b pretty sure that like you, OP is BSing, but I actually do know about a case that this similar to OP's plight.

Google Jennifer Pan, she falsified academic transcripts since high school, lied about her acceptance to pharmacy school , and killed her mom and attempted murder of her dad after they found out about her ruse/deception.

While I do think OP is a troll, sadly something similar has happened IRL.... :(

Why did you even take the MCAT with a 2.4!? That alone shows me that you still suffer from poor judgment.

Currently, you would be screened out in admissions to community college nursing school/allied health programs (probably even EMT-B). If you are in fact not trolling, you're really only qualified for CNA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe you could try a foreign medical school? Some may take you because you are American I've heard of that happening. You may have a hard time getting into an American residency but it's possible.

Just stop. This is terrible advice.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Could go either way. I was a little immature when I joined, and it really changed me in a positive way. But I was a little immature.

I have seen many a shipmate separated from the military because they were so immature when they joined that they could not adapt to military life and either adseped out for failure to adapt or made very bad choices and had an extremely rough time until they did something that got them kicked out.

Being on restriction for 45 days with half months pay for 45 days when your check is only 900 a month to begin with is not a good place to be, and OP strikes me as the kind that would probably end up there unless (s)he embraced the suck and used it to grow.

Stahp

I'm of the opinion that the Military helps even special snowflakes grow up, fast.

Could go either way. I was a little immature when I joined, and it really changed me in a positive way. But I was a little immature.

I have seen many a shipmate separated from the military because they were so immature when they joined that they could not adapt to military life and either adseped out for failure to adapt or made very bad choices and had an extremely rough time until they did something that got them kicked out.

Being on restriction for 45 days with half months pay for 45 days when your check is only 900 a month to begin with is not a good place to be, and OP strikes me as the kind that would probably end up there unless (s)he embraced the suck and used it to grow.

I'm sorry, but no you aren't. There is no "easy way out". Even Caribbean students have to work their butts off. If you TRULY want this to get better you have to come clean with your parents and yourself. Show them your real grades, own up to everything, and start over. I don't mean try and be a doctor again. The way the system is, it's really not feasible for someone in this position.

Nursing is a fantastic career path and one that is showing substantial need right now. You can get your RN in under 2 years, and that's passing with C's in all some, if not all classes. May be something to look into. But don't expect it to be a cakewalk. Nursing is not easy either. But if you are honestly that devoted to the medical profession, that may be your best route.

I'm of the opinion that the Military helps even special snowflakes grow up, fast.

It can, yes. But I speak from experience when I say that there are some snowflakes so special they are resistant to growth. I've watched three of them process out for dumb, immature **** in just the last six months, in a division of less than 15 people.

But as someone who really appreciates what the military has done for me, I do agree that it can be great for the right people.

Reactions: 4 users