juliedi

is legit.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm a senior at USC and a California resident. I'm planning on applying to most of the California schools, but I really would like to go to the East Coast for med school.

GPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 32 Q

I think I have pretty good extracirruclars: VP of my sorority, volunteering in clinical setting, research, etc.

I am just really unsure which East Coast schools would be in my league. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a senior at USC and a California resident. I'm planning on applying to most of the California schools, but I really would like to go to the East Coast for med school.

GPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 32 Q

I think I have pretty good extracirruclars: president of my sorority, volunteering in clinical setting, research, etc.

I am just really unsure which East Coast schools would be in my league. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Based on your numbers, I would say U of Florida wouldn't be too much of a push. If you're also used to Cali weather, then Florida would probably be the closest to it. If you don't have well-rounded Extra Curriculars, you can pretty kiss some of the Ivies and Well-known ones like NYU goodbye. I'd still apply to those schools though, just because ya never know! Boston University is really friendly to California students (ton of my friends go there for med and pharm and others) and your numbers are above average for that school. U of Conneticut would probably good too. Just some suggestions Good luck

88pich14

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I suggest you get the MSAR and compare your numbers to some of the east coast schools you're interested in. Be sure to pay particular attention to the numbers of OOS applicants accepted. You don't want to waste time and money applying to a school that only accepts 3 or 4 OOS applicants a year.

Off of the top of my head I believe you would be competitive for the following schools: Georgetown, U Rochester, GWU, Boston, Tufts, Dartmouth, Brown, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Wake Forest, and Albert Einstein. This is by no means a comprehensive list. You'll definitiely get a better idea of where to apply after looking at the MSAR.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
^ MSAR book. It should be sold at your school's bookstore within the next couple weeks. Ask them when they expect it to have it shipped in. It's completely mind boggling that some people go through the application process without this. It's like the bible.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Based on your numbers, I would say U of Florida wouldn't be too much of a push. If you're also used to Cali weather, then Florida would probably be the closest to it. If you don't have well-rounded Extra Curriculars, you can pretty kiss some of the Ivies and Well-known ones like NYU goodbye. I'd still apply to those schools though, just because ya never know! Boston University is really friendly to California students (ton of my friends go there for med and pharm and others) and your numbers are above average for that school. U of Conneticut would probably good too. Just some suggestions Good luck
Umm, none of the above, 'cept maybe NYU. The state schools you list have a huge instate bias, and BU is a crapshoot for everyone.

OP: you need to find around 10 non CA schools to apply to, and given that most of your state schools are very competitive admissions-wise, most of those non-CA schools should be at or below your LizzyM score.

Take a good look at: VCU, EVMS, Temple, Jefferson, NYMC...next step up the ladder, look at NYU, AECOM, Wake Forest...then shoot for the moon, but know that unless you have something truly amazing in your ECs and research, you will have little luck at schools like Yale, Harvard, etc...

BU, Georgetown, Tufts, and GWU are east coast app sinkholes...avoid them unless you can make a very strong case for your fit to their mission.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd grab a copy of the MSAR and apply to any schools that suit your fancy with an average accepted MCAT score of 35 or less (which is pretty much any of them). Make sure most of them are around or below your stats, and throw in a few reaches. Voila!

OP
juliedi

juliedi

is legit.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the help everyone! I think I picked a great list of schools to apply to :)