I have no interview invitations, becoming very concerned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bioinformaticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I thank you in advance for your help. I have not received any interview invitations yet, and I'm getting very worried. I submitted all of my secondaries between mid-July and mid-August to the following schools:

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
Mayo ("LOR Request" in August... I've heard that's good? But besides that, nothing.)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rosalind Franklin (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Southern Illinois (Rejection)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)
Western Michigan (Phone interview, now waiting)

I'm an Illinois resident. 3.85 GPA, 32 MCAT
Extensive research experience, one publication in a micro journal. Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering (200+ hours). TA for organic chemistry and general chemistry. Leadership experience, including Student Senate. 6 LORs. There's more but that's basically the important stuff.

I really felt that I put together a solid application, and I think that I applied to schools that are within my range. What exactly is the issue? Is this something that happens commonly, because it seems like everyone I know has at least one interview. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it Thanksgiving yet? If you haven't heard anything by then you have some reason to worry but there will be many, many IIs in the next 5.5 weeks. Be patient.

Reactions: 12 users
Half of phone interviews at WMed turn into on-campus interviews, so you'll likely get one there. Hang in there. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to many of the same schools that you have and have also heard nothing. You have to look at how many applications these schools get, too. The only school you should be really hearing back from is your state school(s). But you have a phone interview at least, so that's really good! The first wave of acceptances/rejections just went out October 15th for people who have already interviewed, so they'll be ramping up the interviews within the next couple weeks, I believe. It's still super early, I know a lot of schools are getting to early August applications probably around now.

Start worrying in 2016

Hi everybody, I thank you in advance for your help. I have not received any interview invitations yet, and I'm getting very worried. I submitted all of my secondaries between mid-July and mid-August to the following schools:

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
Mayo ("LOR Request" in August... I've heard that's good? But besides that, nothing.)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)

Extensive research experience, one publication in a micro journal. Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering (200+ hours). TA for organic chemistry and general chemistry. Leadership experience, including Student Senate. 6 LORs. There's more but that's basically the important stuff.

I really felt that I put together a solid application, and I think that I applied to schools that are within my range. What exactly is the issue? Is this something that happens commonly, because it seems like everyone I know has at least one interview. Thank you!

What part of Illinois are you from and where did you go to undergrad? I feel like you have to be north of I80 with little rural connection to have those stats and get a rejection from SIU. I bet you hear from UIC soon unless you have a red flag. Overall it's early though.

I've applied to 8 of the schools on your list and have also heard nothing...Good Luck!!!

Six of those schools I have also applied to and heard nothing. I love what LizzyM said! Let's go with that :)

Reactions: 2 users
I also applied to five of those schools.....nothing interesting my way either! Hang in there, we're in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 users
What part of Illinois are you from and where did you go to undergrad? I feel like you have to be north of I80 with little rural connection to have those stats and get a rejection from SIU. I bet you hear from UIC soon unless you have a red flag. Overall it's early though.

Yes, you are right. I am from suburban Chicago but I attend UIUC. I wasn't expecting to get into Southern Illinois considering the weight they put on actually being from Southern Illinois, so it wasn't particularly shocking.

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)

Strange that you're an IL resident and you've already been rejected by Southern Illinois. I don't know anything about that SOM, but is it typical for that school to reject qualified applicants this early? Do you have any idea why you would have been rejected this early by an unranked SOM when your stats are fine and you're instate?

What is your science GPA?

Which classes did you not get A's in?

Strange that you're an IL resident and you've already been rejected by Southern Illinois. I don't know anything about that SOM, but is it typical for that school to reject qualified applicants this early? Do you have any idea why you would have been rejected this early by an unranked SOM when your stats are fine and you're instate?

Southern Illinois actually has a strong preference for applicants from southern Illinois, which OP is not. It's not always as simple as being in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly not sure - I have the same LizzyM as you, same completion date, and already interviewed at all the chicago programs you listed. They still do interview through march though so it's early to give up hope.

I'm honestly not sure - I have the same LizzyM as you, same completion date, and already interviewed at all the chicago programs you listed. They still do interview through march though so it's early to give up hope.
As if we needed more evidence, yet again we see that stats/completion date do not matter anywhere close to as much as SDN thinks it does. Full package and fit are so much more important.

Reactions: 1 users

If you're not of the I-180 corridor and from say the Chicago region being there isn't really much better than being in the middle of Florida for SIU admission purposes. Their goal is to recruit from the southern and central part of the state; not the Chicago region or close to it.

As if we needed more evidence, yet again we see that stats/completion date do not matter anywhere close to as much as SDN thinks it does. Full package and fit are so much more important.

Great point. The chicago programs that arent UC or NW tend to be very service oriented and heavily emphasize volunteering and clinical experience - how are you in those departments?

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Give the schools time to wade through the 10000 apps they get to see yours, OK?

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)

I think it's along the lines of "necessary but not sufficient" which means it's still important, but it's not the end-all-be-all. Obviously it's not a perfect description, but it's close enough that it gets the point across.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Give the schools time to wade through the 10000 apps they get to see yours, OK?

Very fair point. So do you think I have cause for concern?

Great point. The chicago programs that arent UC or NW tend to be very service oriented and heavily emphasize volunteering and clinical experience - how are you in those departments?

Probably the strongest part of the app. 200 hours hospital volunteering, 200 hours in a club that gives free health screenings to low income members of the community, about 150 hours working with children in a mentoring program. What are your experiences? Is there anything about you that you really think stuck out to get you the interviews? Congratulations by the way

Probably the strongest part of the app. 200 hours hospital volunteering, 200 hours in a club that gives free health screenings to low income members of the community, about 150 hours working with children in a mentoring program. What are your experiences? Is there anything about you that you really think stuck out to get you the interviews? Congratulations by the way

I am an out of state applicant that got II's at the more "service-orientated" programs in Chicago (Rush and Loyola). Our stats and volunteering experiences are very similar but you definitely have more service hours than me... granted I was just rejected from Rush post-interview haha. But I understand why you're worried. I would look at it like this - you haven't received any invites but you also haven't received any rejections yet either. I would wait until at least mid-November to start worrying. You have a solid app and as long as there isn't any red flags on your app (IA's, poor LOR, etc..) I have no doubt that you will hear back very soon

Did you pay ANY attention to LizzyM's and gonnif's posts????

Yes of course! I'd just like your opinion...LizzyM already said not to worry until Thanksgiving. I understand that this is a long process, it's just that it's been more than 8 weeks and most of these schools told me I would hear back in 6-8 weeks. That's essentially the root of my concern here, which is exacerbated by people saying that they applied at the same time and already interviewed at several of these schools. By the way, thank you for always answering these posts...it really is a big help.

It's slow and inefficient process. I'd start worrying if no bites by Jan/Feb. Then it's Plan B time.

Yes of course! I'd just like your opinion...LizzyM already said not to worry until Thanksgiving. I understand that this is a long process, it's just that it's been more than 8 weeks and most of these schools told me I would hear back in 6-8 weeks. That's essentially the root of my concern here, which is exacerbated by people saying that they applied at the same time and already interviewed at several of these schools. By the way, thank you for always answering these posts...it really is a big help.

Reactions: 2 users
We have a similar app and I applied to about half of the same schools.

I just heard back from 2 schools this past week (not any schools you have applied too) but nothing from anywhere else

Not going to worry until end of November, as it seems like schools are behind this cycle

Best of luck with your cycle!

Last year, none of my interview offers showed up until like Feb if I recall correctly.

And worrying will do, what exactly? Sorry, it is out of your hands and there is nothing to do but sit and wait. Reading the tea leaves is a futile exercise

What about the people you dont know? And what exactly "it seems" mean anyway? What about the 3,000 to 6,000 or whatever number it is that whittles down to 300-600 acceptances/waitlists, maybe 800-1000 interviews? What about the simple fact the numerous points of evaluation, nuance, comparison, a probability of large pool being whittled down to a few relies to large part of chance and things outside of your control?

Much of medicine is "watchful waiting"

Yea haven't heard back from GW or Drexel either and the II's that I have are not from any of your schools

maybe you should applied more broadly.

Extensive research experience, one publication in a micro journal. Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering (200+ hours). TA for organic chemistry and general chemistry. Leadership experience, including Student Senate. 6 LORs.

not "a lot" imo

but just chill, you'll get some love soon enough.

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)

And don't worry things will work out for you. It's not too late in the application cycle yet for you to start worrying. Sending all the good vibes your way

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)

I hope you don't mind me asking how everything turned out for you? I am in a very similar situation, also a Illinois resident. I know it's too early to panic, but fear isn't always rational! When did most of your II's come? Thanks!

I hope you don't mind me asking how everything turned out for you? I am in a very similar situation, also a Illinois resident. I know it's too early to panic, but fear isn't always rational! When did most of your II's come? Thanks!
OP was last seen a couple weeks after his post. Never came back for an update if he received any interviews or acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
OP was last seen a couple weeks after his post. Never came back for an update if he received any interviews or acceptances.
I didn't realize the "last seen" feature exists. Thanks for informing me! I guess we will never know how it turned out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.