I have no motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellsworth21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying abroad right now in England. I dont know if anyone in here has studied abroad, but in England...things are different. First off for every class your scheduled, you only have that particular class once a week. No Monday, Wed, Friday. Just once a week. On top of that- Theres no tests! (or finals)
My spring semester consists off writing 4 essays. Needless to say I have alot of downtime, I really dont feel like Im in school. And..I dont like it.
I'm a type A personality, I like to work, stay busy and be productive, sometimes to the point of sacrificing my grades.
I dont like overly generalizing but most of the students here...just dont care. They are perfectly content with getting D's. Because of my down time Im shadowing at a local hospital. And taking short trips into the countryside, and Scotland. Im not complaining Im blessed with this oppertunity but it is hard to just slow down. Anyone else ever felt like this, or am I just waisting my time.
But on the bright side I'll get all A's but they dont count towards my GPA:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a type A personality, perhaps one of the things that you can do to keep yourself busy and challenged is to see how much effort you will need to figure out a way to relax :)

Every type A I've met has had a hard time doing that haha. Have fun in Europe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any research opportunities? Can you take more classes (probably too late for that)?

Too late for classes, Lab spaces are all tacken up. I do however have a German buddy doing some DNA research, perhaps I can tag along.

Too late for classes, Lab spaces are all tacken up. I do however have a German buddy doing some DNA research, perhaps I can tag along.

Sounds like a plan. With that free time, you could do very well in research and give you something with no limits to kick tail on whenever you feel the need.

shouldn't you have looked into course structure/expectations before committing to go abroad?

not surprising really, england is boring (its all good on tv guys but..)

Im sorry your stuck in england with nothing to do, while im studying like crazy for my P-Chem and Biochem exams

shouldn't you have looked into course structure/expectations before committing to go abroad?

No I didnt- Researching class structures is impossible until you physicaly come here and sign up for the class.

If you're bored, find a research project that will be published. That's something concrete to accomplish.

I think you should travel around. That would be not so boring!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for 42S MCAT score during your staying at England.

See if there's a med school wherever you're studying and ask if you can sit in on classes. Join some activities--that's one thing I wish I had done more of when I was abroad. Think about it, you're able to join all the groups you normally wouldn't have time for! Audition for a play, join the wine club, meet people. Additionally, drop by office hours and chat with professors: I found out that one of my professors at Uni Sussex used to teach at Pritzker school of medicine!

Where are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

wow i am shocked no one feels the same as i in this topic - dude - you are in a foreign county, getting strait A's without having to try... go have some fun!!! save up some money and take the tunnel to france, do anythings, just find something fun to do! This is just me personally but if i was a student interviewer at a school and during a med school interview you told me about how you spent your time in europe meeting profs for ofice hours and tagging along in the lab with a friend, well, lets just say i would raise an eyebrow...

but thats just me, everyone is entitled to their own life...

Isn't akin to a medical school describing its teaching style as lecture-based or problem-based?

No I didnt- Researching class structures is impossible until you physicaly come here and sign up for the class.

Isn't akin to a medical school describing its teaching style as lecture-based or problem-based?
Huh?:confused:

I'm not a big partier. Some of the American students here spend so much time drinking and so much money on their drinks. ( Things here are really expensive) With that money and time they could take a bus to Italyor Germany or anywhere in Europe. Alot of them dont know how to handle alcohol.
Thanks for the suggestions though! I'll keep you guys posted.
Dont think Im bashing studying abroad I love Europe but the learning style is different, but so is the culture! ((All the rumors about British food is...true))

I'm not a big partier. Some of the American students here spend so much time drinking and so much money on their drinks. ( Things here are really expensive) With that money and time they could take a bus to Italyor Germany or anywhere in Europe. Alot of them dont know how to handle alcohol.
Dont think Im bashing studying abroad I love Europe but the learning style is different, but so is the culture! ((All the rumors about British food is...true))

entertain us about the little differences in the learning style, food, etc Pulp Fiction style

The German system sounds similar.

There, to receive your degree you take a huge exam at the end that covers everything you've studied in your area of concentration. 'Til then it's pretty much up to you to keep yourself on track. As an exchange student, you can duck in for a year and enjoy all the exracurriculars you want. I took off on several ski and surf junkets and joined the city's traveling baseball team where I learned to swear like a factory worker.

The German system sounds similar.

There, to receive your degree you take a huge exam at the end that covers everything you've studied in your area of concentration. 'Til then it's pretty much up to you to keep yourself on track. As an exchange student, you can duck in for a year and enjoy all the exracurriculars you want. I took off on several ski and surf junkets and joined the city's traveling baseball team where I learned to swear like a factory worker.

an exam for all 4 years??? yikes!!!!111

I'm going to be honest. You sound like a lame ass. You need to go out and have a great experience abroad. Studying abroad is NOT about studying... it is about experiencing a new place. Take that big stick out of your ass and have fun. You will have plenty of time to be lame and over achieve when you get back to the US. Stop your complaining.

I'm going to be honest. You sound like a lame ass. You need to go out and have a great experience abroad. Studying abroad is NOT about studying... it is about experiencing a new place. Take that big stick out of your ass and have fun. You will have plenty of time to be lame and over achieve when you get back to the US. Stop your complaining.

yeah, stick that stick in someone else's ass:laugh: :laugh:

See if there's a med school wherever you're studying and ask if you can sit in on classes. Join some activities--that's one thing I wish I had done more of when I was abroad. Think about it, you're able to join all the groups you normally wouldn't have time for! Audition for a play, join the wine club, meet people. Additionally, drop by office hours and chat with professors: I found out that one of my professors at Uni Sussex used to teach at Pritzker school of medicine!

Where are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

When were you at Sussex? I studied there in 04-05.

I'm studying abroad right now in England. I dont know if anyone in here has studied abroad, but in England...things are different. First off for every class your scheduled, you only have that particular class once a week. No Monday, Wed, Friday. Just once a week. On top of that- Theres no tests! (or finals)
My spring semester consists off writing 4 essays. Needless to say I have alot of downtime, I really dont feel like Im in school. And..I dont like it.
I'm a type A personality, I like to work, stay busy and be productive, sometimes to the point of sacrificing my grades.
I dont like overly generalizing but most of the students here...just dont care. They are perfectly content with getting D's. Because of my down time Im shadowing at a local hospital. And taking short trips into the countryside, and Scotland. Im not complaining Im blessed with this oppertunity but it is hard to just slow down. Anyone else ever felt like this, or am I just waisting my time.
But on the bright side I'll get all A's but they dont count towards my GPA:smuggrin:

I know what you are feeling. I have the whole senioritis thing going but I still want to try hard because I've had 3 and a half years of pushing myself academically so far. Everyone is going to tell you to shift gears and you should. I'm trying to myself, and I'll tell ya, it's not as easy as people think. You can ease yourself into it but setting aside break time on a weekly basis and then increasing to a daily basis. Anyway, what you are doing seems pretty fun as it is! :thumbup:

Im not lame Im just an old man at heart.