i have only a few days left to decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattie113

totally awesome
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, its another "help me choose forum" - i just thought i could use some general input from eveyone. here it goes...

mayo or umich?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are top schools in the same region of the country, so just go with whichever gives you the better financial deal (probably Mayo).

Unless you cannot stand to be in MN for four years.

i tried to ask if mich had any scholarship $$ left to at least try and match mayo but there's no hope. So now the decision is between top ten + 200k or top 20 +100k. its funny becasue a year ago i would have been suprised to know that i would be accepted at all and here i am with this decision. i sort of wish i would have withdrawn from mayo when i got into mich.

Members don't see this ad :)
mattie113,

you have are really tough decision. I just PMed you, but I don't know what to advise.

Isn't if funny how bad we want things at time until we have them. Now that Mayo has given you the nod you think: four years of my life and things change.

Let me know. I think we have some direct parallels.

I personally loved Mayo when I was there. There are ups and downs to each.... I think you should go with your gut and don't look back and never second quess.

Cheers,
WISC-ite

Some other things to think about when you consider mayo are the fact that cost of living is much less here, the doctors here love to teach and have the time to do so, health insurance is incredibly cheap here ($20 a month for great coverage at the Mayo clinic). These are all things that dont come up in the usual list of considerations.

Also, those rankings are all crap. The only reason Mayo dropped some is that they lost some NIH funding. That has nothing to do with the state of research here. In fact, the MSTP program has recently been approved for funding which will bring in more money, also much of the reasearch here is supported by internal funding so there is little need for the NIH money in the first place.

I wouldnt let those ratings guide you too much. Those things fluctuate incredibly year to year. Who knows where Mayo might be next year. 200K is alot of money to try to pay back later in life.

trouta: i hate to critisize free advice, which i definately appreciate, but according to the usnews mag mayo's 2001 NIH was 111million and in 2002 it was 126million - i dont think that's why they were one of two notable schools to 'fluctuate incredibly' spots on the list this year. (stanford moved up 3, mayo down 5)
i think that they dropped in the rankings becasue they seemed to stay virtually the same in most all other aspects while most of the other top twenty seemed to have become all that much more competitive. just a thought. i still love mayo and, of course, thier 17k/year scholarship offer.

from your more recent posts on this thread, i can safely say that your heart wants you to go to umich. I personally think that umich is comparable to mayo anyway, and thats without your $100k difference, and that Mayo somehow gets screwed in terms of the rankings due to its small (relative) size.

yea. its true that i had such an amazing time in ann arbor. it just felt right and i could easily imagine myslef there. ok, enough. i guess all of you waiting for a mayo spot can have mine... im gonna be a wolverine! whew.:cool:

yay mattie!!!

MATTIE THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!
YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE MICHIGAN!!!

I'LL TEACH YOU ALL THE CHANTS!!!

Seriously, it's great that you had such good schools to choose from, but you won't regret this one.

^
|
|
|
|

psst mattie, he's a little nuts, but nice. ;) you'll recognize him b/c he will have his face painted blue and gold all the time. :p

just picking on you lavidee :D

HEY!
you'll recognize GM- b/c she'll be the buff girl always trying to hit on me.

GM- do i have to get a restraining order?