1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I have quite a dilemma

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by bullishMD, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bullishMD

bullishMD Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So i didnt focus on verbal too much these last two months (even though everyone told me to focus on verbal) because I had done many kaplan verbal tests and had been doing fairly well, getting 9-11. 8 and 9 on my first two kaplan full lengths, 10 on my diag. So until now i thought i would be fine on verbal. However when i started taking aamc tests (3r and 4r) last week it has been a completely different story. I got a 7 on aamc 3r and i just got a 6 on aamc 4r. I also did ek-1g and got a 6 on that. This started to worry me so i bought the ek 101 verbal book and did the first test, another 6. I have no idea what to do now.

Kaplan verbal is definitely a lot easier than any other verbal. It is so detail oriented and there is always one clear right answer. where on aamc tests i always think the answer could be 1 of 3 choices. I am so screwed.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mtmunie

mtmunie John 14:6
    7+ Year Member

I AM A LITTLE BIASED TOWARDS EK, BUT THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE IT HAS WORKED FOR ME. KAPLAN STRESSES TOO MUCH DETAIL AND THAT'S NOT THE CASE WITH THE AAMC TESTS. YOU HAVE LITTLE TIME LEFT, BUT IT'S DOABLE. I WAS INITIALLY SCORING 7'S ON EK 101 PASSAGES, BUT WITH THEIR MAIN IDEA STRATEGY, I HAVE MOVED UP TO 10+. SO IF YOUR OLD STRATEGY IS NOT WORKING WITH AAMC, YOU SHOULD START USING EK'S METHOD AND STICK WITH IT FOR THE NEXT 3 WKS AND DO LOTS AND LOTS OF PASSAGES. BUT DON'T DESPAIR. IT'S DOABLE. I HAD A FRIEND WHO WAS SCORING 6 AND 7'S ON PRACTICE TESTS, BUT SOMEHOW, SHE GOT A 12 ON THE REAL THING. BUT THIS IS VERY UNUSUAL. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

4. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i find the above reply offensive. stop yelling at me!!! hahha just kidding. i've blown off verbal too OP but that's changing starting tomorrow there's a new me, shinier and more whole.

5. DoctorDan24

DoctorDan24 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you are dead on. The Kaplan VR has way too many detail questions (and natural science passages) and very little of the main idea strategy. I became very proficient at the Kaplan style scorings consistent 12's. However, the real mcat was a humanities/ main idea nightmare. I ended up scoring a 9 , but will be taking again due to the drop.I have been working on EK101 and Have steadily climbed into an 11's average. Ek may not always have the best explanations, but if you want to properly challenge yourself, they are the best choice besides aamc 8 and 9.