I have received 510 but..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonkeyKong92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received 130 on chem/phy, 130 on bio/biochem, 123 on CARS, and 127 on psy/soc.
I have 3.74 science GPA and 3.6 nonscience GPA and all the extracurricular activities that I should be having.
I am a bit worried about 123 on verbal section... what do you guys think about the chance of getting into MD or DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest I would retake. 510 is my benchmark for retake and you have that, but the 123 doesn't look good. You could get screened out just because of that before they see the rest of you app/stats. Get that CARS up and you could hit 515!

I think I heard about screening but is that true..?? dang, that would suck..

Still excellent for DO. MD more problematic. Best chances will be with FL schools.
Thank you, but just another quick question, do DO schools require letter of rec from DO's?? because I only have MD shadowing hours and MD letter of rec.

Question for @Goro, is his MCAT score problematic because of the CARS or is it because its 510? I thought 510 was a great score with a good chance to get into schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I heard about screening but is that true..?? dang, that would suck..
I think some schools do this but on SDN it gets overmagnified as if all of them do. If you apply far and wide (and to a lot of schools) I think you should be in good shape!

Apply to all your Florida schools, including the 2 DO schools and consider these OOS MD schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
Roseman (new school for 2017)
You should receive several interviews

Apply to all your Florida schools, including the 2 DO schools and consider these OOS MD schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
Roseman (new school for 2017)

Thank you so much!

I have to disagree with my learned colleague; the CARS section score OP has is around a 6 on the old scale. I believe that this will be lethal for most non-FL MD schools. That is well below the 10th %ile of the old VR section for Rosy Franklin, for example.

Not all. LECOM is one, I believe. Mine is OK with MD LORs. Having a DO LOR will always help.

Thank you, but just another quick question, do DO schools require letter of rec from DO's?? because I only have MD shadowing hours and MD letter of rec.

A 510 is a very fine score. The CARS score is what is worrying.
Question for @Goro, is his MCAT score problematic because of the CARS or is it because its 510? I thought 510 was a great score with a good chance to get into schools.

I have to disagree with my learned colleague; the CARS section score OP has is around a 6 on the old scale. I believe that this will be lethal for most non-FL MD schools. That is well below the 10th %ile of the old VR section for Rosy Franklin, for example.

Not all. LECOM is one, I believe. Mine is OK with MD LORs. Having a DO LOR will always help.

Wait, if his CARs score was a 124-125? Would it be fine then?

Man.. I don't know what happened with my CARS score, i knew it was my weakest spot but I didn't think I would take such a big punch to my face. What do you think about low-tier MD schools..? Do you think they will automatically screen out my application due to my CARS score? would English being my second language make any difference? I came here about 8 years ago and I am Asian.

Man.. I don't know what happened with my CARS score, i knew it was my weakest spot but I didn't think I would take such a big punch to my face. What do you think about low-tier MD schools..? Do you think they will automatically screen out my application due to my CARS score? would English being my second language make any difference? I came here about 8 years ago and I am Asian.
I believe some schools will take into account that English is your 2nd language. You may want to include some mention of this in your application.

I do know a person (non-URM) who got in to RFU with a 33 and a 6 on verbal. Near perfect GPA and great extracurriculars were present. N=1, but with a compelling application, it's possible.

I have received 130 on chem/phy, 130 on bio/biochem, 123 on CARS, and 127 on psy/soc.
I have 3.74 science GPA and 3.6 nonscience GPA and all the extracurricular activities that I should be having.
I am a bit worried about 123 on verbal section... what do you guys think about the chance of getting into MD or DO?

I think you should retake the MCAT and get a 127+ in CARS if possible (don't let your overall score drop). A 123 is a red flag for most MD schools, so you're essentially restricted to DO and your state schools.

First off 123 on CARs is a 7 on the old scale verbal not a 6.

Plenty of state schools(including the ones in your state) and a number of lower tier MD OOS schools can live with a 7 if the rest of the MCAT and parts of the app are up to par. Ive seen gyngyn and others directly involved in MD admission talk about how the effects of a single bad subsection arent as quite detrimental as with the old MCAT given the adjustment still going on with new scores. English being your second language also isnt completely irrelevant here.

The fatal flaw with these "retake discussions" is the presumption youll magically just do better on the retake when in reality the odds are fair youll do the same or worse. Two bad CARs score is certainly worse than one. Just getting your score up to "127+" isnt something you just turn on some switch for and make a reality. That's largely just wishful thinking. And all scores are always present, even if you do significantly better on the retake.

Bottom line only retake if you have a strong reason to believe you can do significantly better. Me personally I think youll be fine as is and would leave the score be

Last edited: