I have red flags :( Re-applicant, please read and advise. Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deez_md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the length, but the text is important to supplement my questions below. For those reading, thank you for your time.

I am planning on reapplying this coming cycle as an MD/PhD (I applied for 2015 entry as MD). Reason for my rejections I found out through my interview process, were my institutional actions.

Below I will give you my stats profile and red flag profile. Here I would like to say that my time since rejection was a blessing in disguise, because it gave me time to explore other alternatives, and really make sure this was what I wanted to commit to (In the interim, I worked for a biotech company, took more classes, started a nonprofit, did more shadowing, and learned 3D printing). In this time I learned that I am interested in research informing my (hopefully) practice of medicine, and want to pursue this path.

Without further adieu, my current stats profile:
GPA: 3.54 (upward trend from 3.0-4.0), B.A. Neuroscience, top 10 Liberal Arts college
MCAT: 33 (11,11,11); expires after this cycle
Notable EC stuff: 4 publications, 5 years (4000+ hrs) research experience, 100+ hrs shadowing (free clinic, hospital, international), 100+ hrs volunteering (nonprofit work, sports with kids with mental disabilities, and free clinic), captain of DIII soccer program (with numerous awards), and recipient of $100k social humanitarian prize.
LORs: could not be more fortunate. I have had great mentors and role models, including 1 Nobel Prize winner.

my prior (2014-2015 cycle) stats profile:
GPA: 3.46 (upward trend from 3.0-3.8), B.A. Neuroscience, top 10 Liberal Arts college
MCAT: 33 (11,11,11); taken April 2014
Notable EC stuff: 1 publication, 3 years research (2000+ hrs) experience, 60+ hrs shadowing (free clinic, hospital, international), 100+ hrs volunteering (sports with kids with mental disabilities, and free clinic), captain of DIII soccer program (with numerous awards).
LORs: Could not be more fortunate. I have had great mentors and role models who wrote me spectacular recs.

Now for the huge red flag:
I have 6 "institutional actions". I know, sounds awful, and there is no way to wash myself of them. The best I have is a letter from my college administration saying that I am in good academic and disciplinary standing with the school, and that they endorse my application.

That all said, it is now 5 years after my latest warning. It took me a bit to adjust to the freedoms and responsibilities of college life and subsequently, acknowledging wrongdoing, even if only by witness. For that I am deeply regretful.

Context on the warnings:
My college gives students a warning if they are present at the site of an action that is not in line with the school policies. I received the majority of my violations due to presence, and that is why they are warnings, with no consequence beyond notification of receiving a warnings.

The warnings (w/dates):
10/2010, 2/2011, 11/2011, 12/2011, 2/2012, 12/2012 12/2012

2 were fire safety: soccer bag in the hallway and non-regulation extension cord.
1 was presence at an unregistered party.
1 was for alcohol possession under the age of 21. I am now about to turn 26, and would now never jeopardize my future by doing anything illegal.
1 was for the co-possession of substance. There was marijuana found in the dorm room I shared with my roommate. Like above, I would now never jeopardize my future by doing anything illegal. The reason for this not being a probation or anything more severe is because it was not being smoked. It was my roommate's, but I have been urged not to bring that up as it shows a lack of responsibility.
1 was for harassment. I received this warning because I volunteered myself as a witness to a harassment event that took place on campus. Due to my presence, the disciplinary panel found me guilty of harassment as well. It was unfortunate, as I could not have stopped the incident in question, and I merely stepped forward to protect another student from suspension because I knew he was innocent. I urged the individuals that I knew were present to be responsible for their actions, but unfortunately none stepped forward. My role as an uninvolved party was corroborated by all other accounts.

How I have sought to address my acknowledgement of responsibility and personal growth:
Since the summer of 2015, I have been working with a 17-year-old from the Bronx named Bibi, who does not understand the repercussions of his actions, but wants to be the first in his family to go to college. I was the second in my family, and it was a proud day when I was accepted. His position was more severe than mine, as he trafficked various drugs, was involved with a Bronx gang, and was a marijuana and cigarette addict. Since starting to work with him, he has obtained a job, finished his SATS, and is no longer smoking. Leaving the gang is difficult – after trying, they beat him so badly he has ended up in the ER, missing school and work. These are part of the unfortunate repercussions for him, which it pains me to be unable to protect him from.
He recently was accepted to college, and I hope that he can use that as a way to leave his neighborhood and gain some level of safety. Regardless, my advice about my past seems to have resonated with him on some level, as he is set to pursue a college degree and become a legitimate businessman.

Questions:

1) I have followed the advice of a director of admissions I was fortunate to speak with and separated myself from the warnings as much as I could before my MCAT expires. Her advice was for MD programs. Are my chances worse/better for MD/PhD?

2) I only have 1325 characters to address and take responsibility for my IAs. Is my tone appropriate above? Should I discuss this at all in my PS?

3) I am planning on applying the first day the application opens and be diligent with secondaries. Do you have any other advice for my situation? Should I be reaching out to admissions now to inform them of my IAs/application?

Thanks again those reading, your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
deez_md

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: