I have Research Pos. Don't know what to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

I got a research position here at BYU with one of our microbiology professors. He told me I could basically do any research I wanted to do. The problem is I've never taken a microbiology class and really don't have any idea where to start. Beyond that, I've really never worked in a lab. (sure I could be criticized to starting too early, but I really don't think that it is ever too early) Where do I start? Did anyone else find themselves in this same situation? I think I just need to pick something to research and then if something better comes along... try to pick them both up or switch.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a research position here at BYU with one of our microbiology professors. He told me I could basically do any research I wanted to do. The problem is I've never taken a microbiology class and really don't have any idea where to start. Beyond that, I've really never worked in a lab. (sure I could be criticized to starting too early, but I really don't think that it is ever too early) Where do I start? Did anyone else find themselves in this same situation? I think I just need to pick something to research and then if something better comes along... try to pick them both up or switch.

Did he really just say "pick something and research it"? Your lab should be concentrating on something - learn about what that is and get the books out.

Are you an undergraduate or a post-graduate? It seems to me that your professor has really given you no direction, which is not normal at all! I would talk to your professor and try to get him/her to help you generate some potential research projects. Unless you are a post-doc, entering a lab and trying to create your own project without prior experience is slightly absurd.

I find myself in a similar situation when I first started out two years ago where I did not have any previous research lab experience (besides courses with mandatory lab). I joined in a biochemistry/parasitology lab where my background in that area was almost nil.
Basically in this type of research, the sky is the limit. So read, read, read up on the research done on your organism of interest (or lab concentration). Read your PI's previous publications as well. (I didn't read all of them, since my PI has more than 150 of published papers/abstract. Read what you think is relevant or the most recent one.)
Ask other people in the lab what their project entailed and that may give you an idea of where to proceed. You might ask if you're able to 'shadow' them and learn some techniques and how to use the equipments.
After having a couple of ideas on what projects might interest you, ask the PI for his/her thoughts on it.
I don't think it's ever too late for anyone to get involved in research, but bear in mind, the more thoughts you put in the initial phase, the better your outcome will be in the end.
Good luck with it, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. :luck: