I have Shadowed a DO but Only got an MD Rec Letter...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jayteeteejay

As the title suggests, I've shadowed a DO but did not attain close enough of a relationship to request a rec letter. On the other hand, I got along well with the MD I'm shadowing and he said he wrote a strong letter for me. My question is: Has anyone gotten acceptance to DO schools that "advise/strongly advise" a DO rec letter but used an MD letter? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you searched around, there are people who have gotten with just MD. I don't know how much of a norm this is but people do get it. But one thing I noticed too is that those who do get in with just MD letter tends to have competitive numbers themselves. Hope that helps. The two school that I've seen who have taken alot of people with just MD letter is UNECOM and Touro.

If you searched around, there are people who have gotten with just MD. I don't know how much of a norm this is but people do get it. But one thing I noticed too is that those who do get in with just MD letter tends to have competitive numbers themselves. Hope that helps. The two school that I've seen who have taken alot of people with just MD letter is UNECOM and Touro.
I know there are schools that will take either but I was wondering about schools that specifically state they "recommend DO Letters"

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title suggests, I've shadowed a DO but did not attain close enough of a relationship to request a rec letter. On the other hand, I got along well with the MD I'm shadowing and he said he wrote a strong letter for me. My question is: Has anyone gotten acceptance to DO schools that "advise/strongly advise" a DO rec letter but used an MD letter? Thanks

If you shadowed more than once or twice ask the DO if he or she would be willing to write you a letter? You might have to do a little more shadowing, provide a personal statement or some such or just might be surprised and get a letter.

At this point find a DO and get a letter, as it will boost your chances. For many schools you can submit and then send the DO letter later. It's one thing you can do through effort to strengthen your application, so just do it.

People have gotten accepted with below a 3.0 gpa but that doesn't mean it's the best idea. That said, yes for some schools you can get accepted with an MD letter.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my friends got in with just an MD letter, but he had amazing stats. I think not having it is a weakness in your application, similar to not having research or good EC's. But people do get into med school with weaknesses, as long as it's only in 1 or 2 areas...

Any thoughts as to why a letter from a DO is required/recommended over a letter from an MD?

Because you are entering an Osteopathic program, which is different than an Allopathic program.

If you shadowed more than once or twice ask the DO if he or she would be willing to write you a letter? You might have to do a little more shadowing, provide a personal statement or some such or just might be surprised and get a letter.

At this point find a DO and get a letter, as it will boost your chances. For many schools you can submit and then send the DO letter later. It's one thing you can do through effort to strengthen your application, so just do it.

People have gotten accepted with below a 3.0 gpa but that doesn't mean it's the best idea. That said, yes for some schools you can get accepted with an MD letter.
Thats a pretty good idea. I havent shadowed him in like 2 years and I doubt he'll remember me but ill figure something out

One of my friends got in with just an MD letter, but he had amazing stats. I think not having it is a weakness in your application, similar to not having research or good EC's. But people do get into med school with weaknesses, as long as it's only in 1 or 2 areas...

Im using a pre health committee letter thats notoriously slow with letters so Ill have time to figure it out hopefully

it opens more door if you have a DO letter

I know there are schools that will take either but I was wondering about schools that specifically state they "recommend DO Letters"

a large majority of DO schools will take either, even the ones that "recommend" DO. Only a handful absolutely require a DO letter.

You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
I applied about 10 schools, very late. No DO experience whatsoever, used an MD letter. Got in at the "top" DO schools.

So it depends on the rest of your app as well. Are your stats up to par? Your ECs? If not, this is one easy aspect of the application that you can control.
Ec's and gpa are pretty solid and taking mcat in june so it depends on that. How were your stats?

Got into 2 DO schools with only an MD letter.

It will be OK. In interviews I'd ask you why the DO didn't give you a LOR, and your answer above would be fine.

For what it's worth, I got in with a MD letter, and shadowed a DO for 25-30 hours. High GPA, low MCAT. Strong extra-curriculars. I think it actually gives you a good perspective on the "differences", if there are really any. Even though I didn't really see any differences, you can emphasize differences and discuss that you have seen "both sides". Actually felt

As long as the MD letter talks about why you will be amazing in medicine, I don't think it is a make or break for DO schools that want a physician letter (MD/DO). However, make sure you do research and check if the schools "recommend DO/strongly recommend DO/require DO" letters.

edit; just read Goro's response. Out of the 8 or so interviews I went to, I never got asked that question. But definitely prepare for that question like he recommends.

Got 3 interviews from DO schools and one acceptance with one MD Letter. Okay GPA, good MCAT, lots of clinical hours. I think a DO letter would have helped but not a dealbreaker. I know if I could do it over, I would have tried to get that DO letter just to cover all bases though.

Reactions: 1 users