I have some questions about my medical school application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aflasa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Non-traditional student who isn't super familiar with this process. I am currently working on applications for this upcoming medical school application cycle. I'm also studying to take the MCAT on June 17th. With that being said, I had some questions about my timeline, if anybody would be willing to help out.

1. I met with an advisor once and they said something about applying to a "throwaway" school to get "verified" as soon as applications open. What does this mean? Can I do this without an MCAT score?

2. For the MCAT itself--I won't have my scores back until July 17th. Does that mean I can't apply until then? Or, should I apply without it and then somehow upload my MCAT score to my application? In the second case, would medical schools not look at my application until my score is in?

I hope those questions make sense. Thanks for any help provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to a "throwaway" school allows AMCAS to process your transcripts. This can take weeks.
By the time you get your MCAT score, you can add schools that might interview you and the applications will upload in a single business day (now that the transcripts have been verified).

MCAT scores are automatically uploaded to schools by AMCAS. You have no agency in the matter.

Reactions: 2 users