I have step I 203, step II 184 competitive at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my 3rd year and got a really crappy step II score. Are there any programs out there that would look at me? I have looked through some programs and it looks as if there are quite a few that do not have a step I/II minimum cutoff. Some do have cutoffs of around 200. If anyone has any ideas where I can apply to and be competitive, that would be great. Is there a list anywhere that I can look at to quickly scan which programs have minimums?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

wasatch said:
I have just finished my 3rd year and got a really crappy step II score. Are there any programs out there that would look at me? I have looked through some programs and it looks as if there are quite a few that do not have a step I/II minimum cutoff. Some do have cutoffs of around 200. If anyone has any ideas where I can apply to and be competitive, that would be great. Is there a list anywhere that I can look at to quickly scan which programs have minimums?

Thanks!

You may be okay with a 203 on step 1. They aren't supposed to really look at step 2 very much seeing as not everyone is compelled to take it by the time application information is sent out. That being said, most people increase their step 2 score a bit, so that could hurt you. Make sure you are ready to explain it away... you had massive diahrrhea, you were vomiting, you just got diagnosed with cancer, etc... If your grades are good in the third year, you should be okay.

wasatch said:

Thanks!

Dude, I'm a USIMG with a step 1 of 219 and step 2 of 242 and would trade scores with you any day if I could be on the same playing field with a US grad. You should be fine with those scores, no worries!

Members don't see this ad :)
driverabu said:
Dude, I'm a USIMG with a step 1 of 219 and step 2 of 242 and would trade scores with you any day if I could be on the same playing field with a US grad. You should be fine with those scores, no worries!

i think too much security is put on being a US med graduate. with a 203 apply far and wide. research (which i don't have and think has been hurting me), LORs, and clerkship grades are factors in as well, so hopefully those factors are strong for you.

MedicinePowder said:
i think too much security is put on being a US med graduate. with a 203 apply far and wide. research (which i don't have and think has been hurting me, LORs, and clership grades are factor in as well, so hopefully those factors are strong for you.

Well, I have zero research. I do have excellent LORs from gas and medicine and all A's in my core rotations and gas electives. I have received 13 total invites for gas with 12 rejections...mainly from the tier 1 and 2 programs (rejections that is)....I'll definitely take what I can get. I was just saying that even with my board scores (and everything else), I'm still not on the same playing field as a US grad....not complaining whatsoever, just stating a fact.

To better understand where you're coming from, I might ask if you have any idea how you ended up that step 2 score. What are your current plans to improve your overall situation? Also, having "just finished" 3rd year, do you mean last June/July?

I think with that, we'd get a clearer picture and maybe offer better advice as to what you may be able to do to improve your CV.

If anesthesia is anything like this year, then you should apply like an IMG (no offense intended) and make it far and wide. As many progs as you can click on, and make sure your PS, LOR, EC's, etc. are as good as possible. I wont bore you with my stats, but Ive been surprised at some of the rejections I (and others) have seen.

Not that I'm one to judge your scores, but a residency coordinator told us at a recent interview (at a place very IMG friendly) that they don't consider applicants with Step scores below 80. Supposedly, 80 is the magic number that correlates with passing the anesthesia boards.

But the only way you'll know whether or not your scores are suitable, is if you apply. I truly wish you all the best

veetz said:
Not that I'm one to judge your scores, but a residency coordinator told us at a recent interview (at a place very IMG friendly) that they don't consider applicants with Step scores below 80. Supposedly, 80 is the magic number that correlates with passing the anesthesia boards.

But the only way you'll know whether or not your scores are suitable, is if you apply. I truly wish you all the best

hey there to the OP

i agree w/ Veetz. the magic number i've heard is above ATLEAST 80. USually for step 2 they wanta see atleast 85. these two are MINIMAL. and depending on what you are...US Grad, DO, IMG, these numbers will vary.

Hey thanks guys,

I am a US citizen but a foreign graduate. I thought I would be brilliant and take my step 2 soon after I took step 1. I had not completed Medicine, surgery or pediatrics. :thumbdown:. I thought that I would be able to use alot of my knoledge from step 1 and apply it to my step 2. I went ahead and scheduled the exam, but soon realized that I was not able to get all the info I need in time before taking the exam. I rescheduled and studied during my psychiatry rotation. Took three weeks off after the rotation and just studied every day for three weeks straight, then had to take the exam or pay the $800 fee again. Now, I wish I would have just paid the extra fee and finished my surgery and medicine rotation first. I was quite humbled by this experience to say the least.

I was very interested in anesthesiology before and still am, but I think I need to face reality and look at other programs as well. :(