I Have This Funny Feeling That I'm In A Bunch Of "Hold For Further Review" Piles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted early (6/22), got processed within a reasonable (for AMCAS) time period (8/28), and turned all of my secondaries in within 10 days of receiving them. Every school that I contacted in August and September has comfirmed that my file is complete. And still nothing. I had one interview at GWU and got informally rejected at SIU. That leaves 12 schools (such as Hahnemann, SLU, Loyola, NYMC - schools where people seem to be hearing about interviews). Furthermore, it seems that people who submitted secondaries after I did are hearing something (usually interview offers) before I have heard ANYTHING.

This leads me to believe that my application has been added to the piles that are to be reviewed again in the future. Unfortunately, I think that ALL of my other applications (except for Rush and Finch, who are not interviewing yet) are of this status. I'm tired of getting nothing but credit card offers and bills in the mail. I'd be happy if a school sent me a letter just asking how I'm doing. As long as the envelope has the school's letter head on it, I'll be content with almost any correspondence right now. From even ONE school. Those of you who still have the opened envelopes from a school, I think I'd feel better if you'd send it to me. You don't even have to to put anything in it. And I'll reimburse you for the stamp. I just need to see something besides "Citibank" on the return address for once.

And don't send me anything with a GWU return address. That would just be a mean trick...

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean...except that I have to keep telling myself that it is still early.
I have several applications that are done, some that are waiting for verified AMCAS apps (should be there any day now) and am hoping to hear something. But I think that the admissions process in in full gear now and it's just going to take a while, so we just gotta' wait. You mentioned you got an interview at GWU... don't they tell you of their decision within a few weeks? Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember reading that in their instructions. I think you're in great shape to have already had an interview, and many more will be coming soon. I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least next month or early December. I haven't had any interviews yet (hurry up AMCAS!), but am encouraged b/c of the UC secondaries I received. I can't remember your stats (even though I am sure there's much more to you anyhow) but I don't think you need to worry yet.

rxfudd

I'm getting that same sinking feeling! ... I am now begining to dread checking my mail box too. I hope the two f us of and others in the same boat get some good news soon.

good luck ... hang in there (as if we have any other choice!) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i know what u mean. ahhhhhhhhhhh! what to do? why did i pick this year to apply? :(

I feel the exactly same way too...

My application still hasn't been verified, but I've heard a lot of schools that I applied to are giving interviews off the paper AMCAS. I don't have any interviews, only a "hold for interview" from UCSD. It's early, but I'm starting to feel a little discouraged.

no, no - don't be discouraged. It really is way early to start thinking that. I mean, at first, I was pretty weirded out that so many people here have had interviews, but if you look at the list totals, most are still in the single digits, and many are from exclusive state schools that automatically give interviews. Many schools aren't even interviewing yet, or have just barely started interviewing. I don't think anyone should rule out anything especially since everything this year has been delayed. I haven't gotten any interviews or even all of the secondaries yet, and it's been over three months that I've been waiting for something to happen, but I think it won't help for us to start feeling down this early in the game.

hey guys,

i am in the same boat, i have been fortunate enough to get an early tulane interview, but i haven't gotten anything since, and there are 16 schools that i would not mind hearing from.

i have already gone through this process once, so it is not quite as hard this time, but it does seem to take it's time.

the only other thing that is keeping me occupied as of late is the snow that just dropped last night and the fact that i am moving to alyeska ski resort for the next 6 or 7 months. skiing every day might make the wait a little easier to cope with . . .

best of luck to you all and may we hear good news soon.

Calm down! It's way, way, way too early to start thinking anything about the application process this year. More than half of submitted applications haven't been verified! Schools are probably just waiting to see what the applicant pool is like this year.

Originally posted by none:
•Calm down! It's way, way, way too early to start thinking anything about the application process this year. More than half of submitted applications haven't been verified! Schools are probably just waiting to see what the applicant pool is like this year.•

Normally, I would agree with you - but when I see 5 people in a single day add Hahnemann (knowing full well that I got the Hahnemann secondary very early and sent it in very early) - and when I myself don't get something from Hahnemann - it tells me that Hahnemann sent out a bunch of interview offers and that my file was probably reviewed and put to the side.

The only consolation is that they might not be reviewing files in the order in which the secondaries are coming in. This is definitely a possibility. And so I wait.

Now - how 'bout those envelopes? Can anyone send me their SLU envelope? I'd like to see what it feels like to actually get something in the mail from them.

rxfudd,
I think you should subscribe to a beer-of-the-month or exotic food of-the-month club, or something like that you'll be guaranteed some good mail... and it's only October, so hopefully you'll get lots of interiew letters a bit down the road...

:)

oh, and here's an easy way to guarantee mail from schools: forget to include the check with your application! :rolleyes:

I got a letter from SLU a while ago, and I was excited until I opened it and realized they were just wondering where their money was. I really, really thought I'd sent the money, guess not... but they got the letter to me quickly. :)

Record (CD) clubs and book clubs are good too. ;) :) Rxfudd, being "held for further review" is not necessarily a bad thing, remember that some schools interview into April and May. Better settle in for a long haul. I'm sure more interviews will be forthcoming. This is such a weird year that I don't think you should read too much into anything.

I'm with rxfudd on this. I submited my AMCAS app 6/28, verfied 7/28. sent out all secondaries promptly (well! most of them :) ) plus for a lot of these school I meet or exceed the listed stats ... yet I hear nothing.
I think it is extremely unfair IF the schools are reviewing apps out of order.

Plus I don't think it's too early to expect interviews if your file has been complete at a particulr school for 3 weeks or more ..... just my opinion.

Hey-I'm in the same boat as rxfudd and probably many others. Applied to 22 schools. AMCAS verified 8/28. All secondaries were completed by 9/18. Only repsonses have been for a GWU interview and rejection from U-Miami (I'm not a Florida resident...it was a gamble to apply).
HOWEVER, based on the interview lists in these forums, I have to keep an optimistic perspective--I am not one of the top 20 or so candidates at many schools. BUT, I am pretty sure most schools interview atleast 600 people (up to 1000 at GWU and others)...so its just playing the waiting game.

rxfudd,

Keep your chin up! At least you have had one interview at a really good school. Unlike you, I have had no interviews, as I'm still waiting for my files to be complete at the schools I sent secondaries to. I have mentally written Loyola and Finch off,BTW. Sure, I get anxious when I read about the interviews at schools I applied to, but it's still so early. Now, if the whole process were to be finished by say, November, then I'd be a very unpleasant person to be around about now :)
This process is so all-consuming. Try and do something outside of academia and this whole app process this weekend-- a movie, a show, dinner with a friend that's NOT premed...you get the picture.

rxfudd, keep the faith. i am in the same boat. they are waiting to see what the applicant pool is like this year. getting in the hold for later review pile is certainly better than getting an early rejection. it means they think you are interesting, qualified, and might want to interview you at a later date. all it takes is an acceptance, the path to get it doesn't really matter. some candidates are just the kind that will get in sometime late during the summer or off of waitlists. keep the faith and may the force be with you.

Wow, do I feel like a whiner now. After my ranting and whining about a lonely mailbox, I got an interview offer from UIC today.

Wow!!! That's great! Now, Rx, you know I'm gonna be all over you about that UIC interview! Good luck!

Congrats! ... :)

Congrats Fudd! I just had my interview there this week. Email me with any questions. I was extremely pleased with my visit and the interview was so laid-back! Good luck! :D

Thanks everyone - I need more mail like this every now and then. It makes me feel like this process is going somewhere. But don't think that's going to stop me from subscribing to a beer-of-the-month club. Elle, I really should have thought of that sooner. Hell, I should've been doing that all throughout college.

Medpuck, check your email.