I have to start college at a community college.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANiieONME

Reaction score
I can't start at a university. I have to do two years at a CC. I know med schools don't like CC credits. Can I take all med school prerequisites my junior and senior year of college when I'm at the university? I have no idea how college works.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't start at a university. I have to do two years at a CC.
1) I know med schools don't like CC credits.
2) Can I take all med school prerequisites my junior and senior year of college when I'm at the university? I have no idea how college works.
1) It would be more correct to say that a few schools warn against CC credits. The concern is that a CC may not have the course rigor of a university and that you will be less well-prepared to take the MCAT.

2) It's possible, but cramming it all together into two years could imperil your GPA. Many applicants take some sciences at the CC. Some take all of it there and then take upper-level coursework at the university level to prove their mettle. You have to decide what's right for you.

Former CC student here. I took 2.5 years to get my associates and then 3.5 to get my Bachelor's for a total of 6 years, so I have a 6 year, 180 credit Bachelor's degree. Don't rush it. Do well. You will be fine. There is no need to finish school in 4 years and as a CC transfer you probably wont. Just make sure to do well in your classes. If you're heart is set on medicine, planning 5 years for your bachelors and 1-2 gap years isn't a bad idea. It gives you plenty of time to stack up grades, mcat, and experience. Going to community college was the best decision of my life, something I clearly stated in my primary and secondary apps that have landed me 2 MSTP interviews so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Former CC student here. I took 2.5 years to get my associates and then 3.5 to get my Bachelor's for a total of 6 years, so I have a 6 year, 180 credit Bachelor's degree. Don't rush it. Do well. You will be fine. There is no need to finish school in 4 years and as a CC transfer you probably wont. Just make sure to do well in your classes. If you're heart is set on medicine, planning 5 years for your bachelors and 1-2 gap years isn't a bad idea. It gives you plenty of time to stack up grades, mcat, and experience. Going to community college was the best decision of my life, something I clearly stated in my primary and secondary apps that have landed me 2 MSTP interviews so far.
@ClimbsRox 's post reminds me that it's not a rare problem that some CC coursework may not be accepted by a university to fulfill their graduation requirements, forcing one to retake some general education classes. If you know where you'll go to university, you might consider communicating with their academic counselors to clear any CC coursework you plan to take.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I DM? I also went to CC and am planning to apply MD/PhD this cycle.