I have two years and one quarter to go....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashley1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I've been looking over my plan and I want to take physics this summer and ochem next summer because I think I will do better if I can just focus on those classes one at a time. I think want to take fall quarter after ochem off to study for the mcat, take the mcat in january and apply in june. The problem is that how classes are offered at my school and what I transferred in with, I will be applying with just a few credits short of being able to graduate. I can technically graduate but I will have to overload with upper division classes and I don't like the idea. I am doing some GPA repair and attend a private university so I can go part time or take some more upper division science classes during my "gap" year and send them to the schools as I finish them but it will exceed the graduation requirement. Although I will exceed the requirement, I won't have the needed credits to walk until the next June when they are available spring quarter. I don't want to go part time both years because I want to get in as many science classes as possible before I apply to get my GPA up and I really don't want to take a year off. I'm so sorry if this is confusing I'm trying to make it as clear as possible but it's a very confusing situation.

Question: If I apply to medical school in June, about what time frame would it be until I know if I am able to interview or are accepted?

Question: Will adcoms wonder why I am continuing to take upper division science classes when they exceed the graduation requirements? Is this a good or bad idea? I transferred in thats what my time frame is so messed up.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN!

I've been looking over my plan and I want to take physics this summer and ochem next summer because I think I will do better if I can just focus on those classes one at a time. I think want to take fall quarter after ochem off to study for the mcat, take the mcat in january and apply in june. The problem is that how classes are offered at my school and what I transferred in with, I will be applying with just a few credits short of being able to graduate. I can technically graduate but I will have to overload with upper division classes and I don't like the idea. I am doing some GPA repair and attend a private university so I can go part time or take some more upper division science classes during my "gap" year and send them to the schools as I finish them but it will exceed the graduation requirement. Although I will exceed the requirement, I won't have the needed credits to walk until the next June when they are available spring quarter. I don't want to go part time both years because I want to get in as many science classes as possible before I apply to get my GPA up and I really don't want to take a year off. I'm so sorry if this is confusing I'm trying to make it as clear as possible but it's a very confusing situation.

Question: If I apply to medical school in June, about what time frame would it be until I know if I am able to interview or are accepted?

Question: Will adcoms wonder why I am continuing to take upper division science classes when they exceed the graduation requirements? Is this a good or bad idea? I transferred in thats what my time frame is so messed up.

Thank you so much!

1) Its completely different for anyone. Best case scenario interview early in august or so, accepted on the october 15th (or whatever that one date is). However, people interview up until now (late april). Its a very wide window.

2) Nope. You can send grade updates in your update letters (which they will like).

-bump-

No need to bump :)