I haven't taken ORGO 2 yet but i'm applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken ORGO 2 lecture, orgo 1 and 2 labs yet but i'm applying in june.

i'm planning on taking orgo 2 lecture and orgo 1 lab in summer. Someone told me i cant apply unless i finish all my pre-reqb b/c they r necessary for DAT.

Im taking DAT late May

Members don't see this ad.

i'm planning on taking orgo 2 lecture and orgo 1 lab in summer. Someone told me i cant apply unless i finish all my pre-reqb b/c they r necessary for DAT.

Im taking DAT late May

Dental schools will have different opinions on this. My bro-in-law took the DAT his sophomore year, before ever taking any OChem. Obviously, he did poorly on that section of the DAT, but did well enough in other areas that he had a competitive score. He applied his junior year and while some schools told him to apply again in a year, others accepted him. For example, UoP told him to keep going to undergrad and apply the following year. However, Marquette accepted him, he went there, and he never even graduated. I think the best thing for you to do would be to take the DAT (be sure to do well) and then call the schools you want to attend and ask them if they would even be willing to accept someone who hasn't graduated...only apply to those that will. Hopefully that helps!

Im taking DAT late May

You can apply to dental schools without Orgo 2 (and labs).

If you are applying in June, when are you going to take the DAT? After Orgo 2 lecture?

and I do agree that orgo 2 is necessary for DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do fine on the DAT without having taken Orgo 2 if you put in the work. Having an understanding of the reactions helps, but it is possible to substitute that with rote memorization.

I have mixed feelings about this. I studied last summer for the DAT without taking ochem 2, but I did not feel prepared so I cancelled my exam. I am staying at my university for an extra semester currently to take orgo 2 (I also get a minor in chem which is sick!), and I feel much more prepared already. Like Inngu said, it is possible, but it will require much work.

i am taking DAT late May

i took orgo 1 but i didn't learn anything at all

so i just learned myself by doing chads, destroyer and other books

so i dont really care about the lecture

I disagree. I feel like taking orgo 2 is ESSENTIAL to succeed on the DAT. Perhaps you can pass with just a 20 but your ideal goal is to excel and get in the high 20s. You want to be able to do the best you can do. It's not worth putting off orgo 2; maybe orgo 2 is easier? Maybe you'll get a high grade in that class? I personally found orgo 2 to be more interesting and got a higher grade that semester, especially carbonyl chemistry. Why are you in a rush to take the DATs anyway? It's not something you should rush to take--it requires some investment.

But do what you like! We're just providing you with opinions!

I disagree. I feel like taking orgo 2 is ESSENTIAL to succeed on the DAT. Perhaps you can pass with just a 20 but your ideal goal is to excel and get in the high 20s. You want to be able to do the best you can do. It's not worth putting off orgo 2; maybe orgo 2 is easier? Maybe you'll get a high grade in that class? I personally found orgo 2 to be more interesting and got a higher grade that semester, especially carbonyl chemistry. Why are you in a rush to take the DATs anyway? It's not something you should rush to take--it requires some investment.

But do what you like! We're just providing you with opinions!

Completely valid points, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is preferable to have taken the class before one takes the DAT. For the sake of argument, though, I'll point out that:
1. People study differently.
2. The DAT is an exam that emphasizes regurgitation over comprehension.
3. The DAT hardly goes in depth into the material covered by orgo 2.

Therefore I stand behind my opinion and my personal experience (23 on OC pre-ochem2) that it is possible to teach yourself what you need to know for the DAT.

Btw, it could be that we're operating on completely different scales. I didn't think that 20 would be that bad of a score... :eek:

invictusx & lnngu

Both of you are right....

yes you do need to have orgo 2 learned before the test, however how you learn orgo 2 is totally student-learning style dependent.

Some people are going to memorize the 50+ orgo 2 reactions cold (I, for the life of me don't know how theyr going to do it, but some do)

On the other hand, people such as myself, need to know the mechanism at play of how the reactants/reagents work in order to arrive to a meaningful product. This style of learning is best obtained by going the traditional route: Orgo 2 class then DAT and IMO, its the more productive way to learn Orgo 2..... Understanding the mechanism of play is an easier (and more efficient) way to learn Orgo 2