I heard kaplans QR is way harder than the real thing!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefRcool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true? and some people have said to not bother with kaplans math, do you guys also agree?

Also what is a good study prep for the QR section. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

teefRcool said:
Is this true? and some people have said to not bother with kaplans math, do you guys also agree?

not true at all. Kaplan's math is on par with the real thing. THe only problem is that sometimes kaplan has bogus unsolvable questions. If you do the kap practice exams online then you will find that it is a better representation of the real exam.

teefRcool said:

I scored a 22-23 on Kaplan QR, but got a 20 on the real DAT QR.

In my case, Kaplan (blue book/on-line test/CD) was simple comparing to the real exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was getting between 20-24 on practices.. got a 21 on the actual DAT. strategy i highly suggest: skipping thru problems that seems long or hard. all the ?'s are worth the same pts. u should maximize ur pts by doing easier problems first.

I think it’s important to bear in mind that Kaplan is a business which in regard to DAT prep has little competition. Additionally DAT prep is an extremely small part of the business when compared with SAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT and MCAT. As a result, there is no great incentive to optimize the material, because where else are you going to go. It appeared to me that much of the study material was “recycled” from one of the other exams. This obviously does not apply to the PAT for which their study material was close to useless, though their techniques were very good. It seemed that much of the QR came directly from GRE and GMAT, while the sciences came from GRE and MCAT. This is backed up by the fact that the online tutorials often discussed taking the MCAT rather than the DAT. Now that said I felt the Kaplan material was sufficient for preparation but there will be some questions(such as work problems in QR) that will probably not be seen on the real DAT. Good Luck!

I scored a 22 on my DAT, and I could not recommend Kaplan prep enough. I was an english major and I scored the lowest on the QR part of my diagnostic. In the end, I DOUBLED by QR score by simply doing the Kaplan QR questions-- I did every single question until I new that I understood it and then kept a notebook of the challenging questions for me to go over a few times a week until I was certain I could solve the problem on the test without even thinking about it. Just my 2 cents, but that is was worked for me...

QR isn't anything you can merely study/read on like bio and/or part of your gchem and ochem. There's simply no shortcut to doing well on the DAT on this section. You'll need to practice a lot daily using any high school or pre-college maths work book. Practice guides serve only to reveal your weaknesses...

Kaplan was harder for me than the real DAT...however, this isn't a reason to blow off the materials they give you for this section. Don't give up on a word problem if you can't solve it, the information you need to solve the seemingly impossible word problems kaplan will throw at you is important for the more analytical problems given to you on the real DAT. The main difference between Kaplan and the real DAT in terms of the QR is the lack of word problems on the real thing. Kaplan seemed to be full of these. They're great practice though.