I hope I didnt fail COMLEX II PE!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enonymus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I walked away from that damn test with some bad feelings. I missed probably two diagnoses out of 12. I also forgot to do OMT on 1/3 patients that had asked for it, and another one that I only had about 30 seconds or so to do some cranial. The SP's are just plain awful. They show no emotion, and are terrible actors, amking them very hard to read. Oh well, I hope I dont have to do to Philly again. That was one crappy and expenssive day. Anyone have anything comforting to share? Did anyone else feel like they really messed up big time but still passed? Time for some booze!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be too hard on yourself! I am sure you did not do as bad as you imagined. I know of someone who forgot to wash their hands during the first six encounters. This person passed the exam. I, myself, missed one diagnoses and forgot to right the vitals on a couple of my SOAP notes yet I still passed as well. Overall, you just need to do well enough on the two components (humanistic and physical.) If for some reason you do not pass and have to take the exam over that is ok too. Think of how far we have made it (at least 4 years of undergrad & 4 years of medical school) this exam is just another thing we have to get through. Good luck!!!:)

Look at it this way: 4% of people (either by edict or some sick joke of God's) per year fail this test, so with 12 people in the test, only 1/2 of a person in that room failed. I've not talked to anyone who felt good leaving this thing.

I never spent more than 3-5 seconds washing my hands, I told a pt model that I hope I never have to see them again, on average I spent 8 minutes with the pts and still didn't finish writing all of my notes, and I had a pt model tell me my OMM wasn't helping at all. I was sure I failed, and yet I didn't. statistically, you'll be in the 96%.

Look at it this way: 4% of people (either by edict or some sick joke of God's) per year fail this test, so with 12 people in the test, only 1/2 of a person in that room failed. I've not talked to anyone who felt good leaving this thing.

I never spent more than 3-5 seconds washing my hands, I told a pt model that I hope I never have to see them again, on average I spent 8 minutes with the pts and still didn't finish writing all of my notes, and I had a pt model tell me my OMM wasn't helping at all. I was sure I failed, and yet I didn't. statistically, you'll be in the 96%.
I've heard 96% a couple times now. Is that on the NBOME web site? I've wondered if it is truly still 96%. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

I've heard 96% a couple times now. Is that on the NBOME web site? I've wondered if it is truly still 96%. Thanks

Checking the website every ten minutes? Know how you feel - drives you crazy, eh? Don't worry, they'll show up.

My bud took his the day before I took my re-take - so I'm not going to start checking until I hear that he received his scores! - well that's my play anyhow.

Nice to see the scores up today for February COMLEX PE. I sweated it out like many of you. Took the full 12 weeks for me, although the folks who took the exam in late February only had to wait about 9 weeks. They release the scores in waves, so some people may get their scores as early as 9 weeks, and others will wait 12. Haven't heard of anyone waiting more then 12 weeks, so NBOME is doing their best to keep it within the posted timeframe.

I just want to put some of your minds at ease, although If your like me, your mind won't be at ease until you get that score back. It's kind of wierd, I never sweat an exam, but I think the idea of having to fork over another $1600 freaked me out. It wasn't the exam that worried me, it was the cost and time of taking it again.

I, like many others, was wondering if I did enough OMM (only did OMM treatment on a few, and probably should of done it on 1 or 2 more). Palpating the abdomen and then auscultating, and then admitting to the patient that I did that backwards probably looked pretty dumb too. I was a little nervous with the first couple patients, and then found my groove...kinda. I think the key is if you are running out of time, tell the patient what you would do and get that closure with the patient. When they tell you 1 or 2 minutes overhead (can't remember the exact warning time), start your closure. Make sure and ask them if they understand what tests, labs , and plan you are doing, and make sure you ask if they have any questions. You may have a complaint that you just can't pin a diagnosis down while in the room(although I doubt it), but you should have a good idea of what tests you will need, and the patient wants to hear about them.

I think it is better to not have time to do a full neuro exam, and tell them that you will do one later, then to try and rush through a half ass neuro exam and leave the patient hanging high and dry. By starting my closure at the warning, I finished a bit early and had an extra minute to write the note.

As far as OMM goes. I did a quick scan exam of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar on every patient when I listened to the the lungs. I didn't ask them to rotate or flex/ext. I just did palpation and asked if they had tenderness there, and that was it for OMM. Of course I treated the few that needed teatment. There are lots of questions about OMM on these forums. For treatment, all you need to know is soft tissue stuff, whether its myfascial release or counterstrain. Remember wrap around the tenderpoint, and you can treat just about anything. Make sure and ask the patient if they feel any improvment...yet another thing I sometimes forgot during the day. The only person I heard of failing strictly from OMM, was someone who didn't do any OMM. Your just asking for trouble if you don't do any.

Someone that failed commented on another post that they might pick on those who are going to an allopathic program. As ludacris as it sounds, I should clarify that of all the folks I know going allopathic (>30 peeps); none of us failed, so scratch that conspiracy theory from your list folks. We all know they have no idea where or with whom we matched when they grade. Of course if I had failed, I would say otherwise:)

One other thing that will help those taking this exam. Get all the history. This includes social hx, and fam hx. If they say my mom passed from some disease, follow this up with I'm sorry to hear that. If they cough, offer a cup of water.

A lot of my time in the room was spent discussing aspects of the social history.

I really think the biggest help is simply reading first aid CS on the plane ride to the exam. You don't need to spend weeks preparing for this exam, as you learned the right way over the last 3 years of medical school.

I would also recommend to anyone in the planning stages of when to take this exam, to call up a couple buddies and try to take it at the same time. This cuts the cost of the rental car and hotel by 2-3, makes you more comfortable at the testing site cause your around some people you know, and you have some friends to go grab some beers with afterwards.

So basically to sum it up, I think most of us think we failed, cause we all think of all the things we did wrong. I was just like that, and fortunately that hoop is now jumped through. For those that do fail, I know some very personable, intelligent people that have failed, and I really chalk it up to a bad day. Just put things into perpective. Yes, failing sucks, but being 36 with 4 kids and dying from leukemia is much worse...that is what happened to a patient of mine last week. Kind of puts this whole PE exam thing in perspective.

Hope this helps some of you yet to take the exam, and good luck.

Peace!

I too found out that I passed....:D

Some quick advice and my experience, nothing to get the NBOME to hunt me down...

- I only did OMT on three patients.
- Treat them like real patients- show interest in their family, or whatever they are currently doing.
- I wouldn't study for more than one weekend
- Enjoy some great seafood at Legal Sea Food after the test :thumbup:
- Spend a lot of time in the room; if you are consistently out before the first warning, spend more time in the room. If you are the first one out consistently, you are not spending enough time in there.

- Relax...the advice given by famdo is fantastic. Taking it with a friend or two (I took it with three) makes it easier.

Good luck all...

. The only person I heard of failing strictly from OMM, was someone who didn't do any OMM. Your just asking for trouble if you don't do any.

Of note, I am aware that I failed this test the first time because I did not take it seriously. However, I ONLY FAILED THE OMT SECTION, and that caused me to fail the exam. I also did some form of OMT on half the patients and some who didnt even "ask" for it, but where it was indicated (and nobody refused). The problems was that I was shoddy in preparing, my techniques were weak and hesitant, and I did not have a clear cut general game plan (i.e. appropriate soft tissue on anyone, as a fall back, muscle energy if indicated, etc...)

I think what bothered me the most is that this test is supposed to be about communication, not performance. I feel that we are graded on a performance curve, akin to whether we know the correct doses of a drug for our SOAP notes (which is not gradeable). The MD test has no performance component, like OMT, and I feel that if we are graded on how we look while doing it or whether our patient model (who's been having this done all week) reports subjective improvement with technique, then thats wrong.

Again, I cant just say thats what happens, because the grading scale may be based solely on whether you explain the technique to the patient, get a good OMT history and physical, and ask them if they feel better at the end. My school is relatively weak in OMT, to say the least, and we seem to have had a lot of otherwise strong physician candidates who failed this exam from my class.

I just found out that I passed the PE section....THANK GOD.

Honestly, reading the posts on this website really helped. I was getting freaked out because I just kept reading horror stories of people failing, and without any good explanation or reason.

Little things like knocking the doors, introducing yourself, asking the patient how they would like to be addressed, doing a focused but thorough history, asking permission to examine, washing hands, after examining--give a synopsis, and then always ask, "ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?".....I only did OMT on 4 patients and they all asked for it.

Take it seriously because the last thing you want to do is come back and pay $1000 plus travel expenses.

Thanks again to all those who posted advice and wisdom, it was invaluable.

Good luck everyone.

I passed...I only took maybe 5-6 min in each room with the patients...was almost always the first one out...thank goodness I passed...

Man, I took mine on APRIL 2nd, and STILL NO SCORE - it will be 12 weeks on Monday. How long did it take you all to get your scores???

Man, I took mine on APRIL 2nd, and STILL NO SCORE - it will be 12 weeks on Monday. How long did it take you all to get your scores???

Results are up even though it says scores listed through March 31st. I took the test Apr 11 and have the God-saving PASSED.:thumbup: Thank God. What a waste of an exam.

Wow - the results were posted this afternoon - exactly 12 wks from the day I took it.

Sweet - passed! I'm so glad I don't have to retake this thing again. Twice was enough...