"I hope to see you here next year." Good sign or just politeness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobears

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you have been told by the interviewer, "So, I hope to see you here next year." If so, did you end up getting accepted to the school? I'm just curious because I was told that at one of my top choice schools and I'm extremely eager to hear from them.

I appreciate any input you future doctors can give me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

2 out of 3 interviewers told me that at a school I'm reasonably sure i won't get into (sigh). Ah well, i feel it's more of a nicety on the interviewers part than a true indication of the decision made later. --Trek

unfortunately that is more of a cliche!! I know a couple of friends who were told that statement and they were either waitlisted, or rejected...of course there were some who also got accepted...

but I think "I hope to see you here next year"...doesn't necessarily mean..."I hope you chose our school next year once we send our acceptance to you" But rather, it means (I think) "I hope the admissions committee accepts you and we can see you next year"....as you can see, it really doesn't mean anything :(

Members don't see this ad :)
How about if they say you are a very competitive applicant and I hope to see you here next year? What does that mean?

What about if they say "I'm going to call an emergency meeting of the admissions committee as soon as this interview is over so we can get your acceptance letter in the mail this afternoon"?

One of my interviewers at Dartmouth said "well, let me get this acceptance letter out so you can sign it right now"

Of course he was just joking and told me so, but I did get accepted, so I think that positive comments may be some indication of how the interviewer is going to rate you. However, the rest of the committee could still overrule that one person if they want.

So, its a good sign but by no means does it indicate that you are definitely going to get accepted.

I think it's just a courteous thing that some interviewers say. Don't get too caught up in it. One of my interviewers told me, "I'm going to do everything in my power to see that you're here next year." Of course, that was like 2 months ago, and I still haven't heard from the school. It's cruel I tell ya. They make you feel like you're the best thing since sliced bread and then they sit on your app, unable to make a decision. Accept me or reject me, but please just make up your mind. It's all AMCAS's fault!

One of my interviewers at Tulane said "You need to come here, it'll be good for you." He also said, "Just to let you know, I will recommend to the committee to accept you." I'm now on the waitlist. Of course the other interviewer pressure cooked me, so that might have something to do with it.

I don't listen to what interviewers say anymore because of what happened to me at CWRU. My interviewer told me that I was a perfect match for his school, and that I would thrive in the environment at CWRU. Two weeks later I was shocked to find that I was placed in the "HOLD" category.

I think that phrase is overused and misused. Speaking from experience, I was told last year (after the son of a gun asked where I'd interviewed) that he could totally see me here at the school and that I was one of the best interviewers he'd interviewed all year. He basically said "you'll be here next year." So, I came home feeling on top of the world...only to find out 4 weeks later that I was waitlisted!!!!!! Eventually, I did get in but I had committed myself to something else for a year, so I had to pass it up, and they wouldn't let me defer. Anyways, story being said......take what they say w/ a grain of salt...they're just promoting a positive image of their school.

what if they say "well, let's not waste each other's time here. I'll ask you to step out of my office..this interview is over."
then as you walk out they say "Hope to see you next year."
what do you think guys? this actually happened to someone I know. actually it didn't.