Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I just BOMBED a final....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MrsMcDreamy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. MrsMcDreamy

MrsMcDreamy New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So what happens if you don't get above a C in a class? My physical chemistry class is absolutely impossible. Do I have to notify med schools if I do not get above a certain grade? I am supposed to be hearing back from a couple of schools in the next few weeks so I am definitely not going to tell them before then. Do I throw myself at the mercy of my professor and beg for a C or above? I am so upset. How bad is this?

2. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'd only give an update if specifically requested by the school. yeah, though, go talk to your professor -- don't beg, but it can't hurt to pay a visit. from my understanding, pchem is one of those classes with a huge curve, so i don't think all hope is lost yet.

3. Dr.Erin2B

Dr.Erin2B Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you talking D or E territory?

If Pchem is required for your major then you should definately retake it now .

As for reporting the grade to the schools... don't do it until they ask for it. There is no need pointing out something nasty until you have to.
    I find it hard to believe, though, that if you have a history of all A's and B's that one low grade is going to break you. Adcoms know that Pchem is pretty darned tough, and I'm sure that they consider your courseload at the time of the bad grade.

I'm glad you're waiting to hear back from places. Maybe they've seen everything they need to see and the grade will just pop up when you send in final transcripts long after your acceptance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Try not to piss your professor off. If you get less than a C, ask her/him to show you your final. Ask how far you were off from a C. If you're close, and you're able to put together a reason for a regrade, go for it. You have nothing to lose. Fortunately, I never had to do that, but I've heard of others who accomplished that.

Also, don't worry about a "C"

5. leiface

leiface i see sick people
    7+ Year Member

I actually ended up getting a C- in a chem class my senior year I was applying to med school and pretty much immediately contacted all the schools I was accepted to and told them the truth. I was really busy with med school interviews that semester and it was a super hard class and I didn't realize how deep in the hole I was before it was too late. All the schools sent letters back saying that they still want me and some cited how they appreciated my candor. If you end up doing really poorly in this class, I would send out letters stating what you got and why (not just a transcript) and say that you are willing to retake the class if a better grade is required for admission.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Was it with Lee Sobotka? Frankly, that man knew how to demoralize a lecture hall filled with bright kids like no one else I've ever met. God, I loved that fanny pack.

7. leiface

leiface i see sick people
    7+ Year Member

lol no...that man was very fun to watch though and his crazy mustache!

8. uclaguy32

uclaguy32 Member
    5+ Year Member

My gf had that problem.... she got a C+ and she was asked what happened when she called... NYU told her to not let her grades fall below a C+.