I just cant do well on mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xswtbkln302x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT 5 times already- scores: 15, 19, 19, 22, 22. I went to an Ivy League college, and even though I know the material I just cannot understand when they ask me questions on the exam what the heck they mean.

Is medicine not for me? I did not struggle this much with the GMAT.

How can I get at least a 24??

Members don't see this ad.

If you went to Ivy, then you must not be stupid.
How much effort did you put into it?

A lotttt of effort. I studied for the exam each time for at least 2 months.

I know all the information by heart, but I am just poor at applying it to the passages. I just don't get when they ask something. I am seriously doubting my skill in science now..

Oh and my gpa was 3.44 and Biology major, so I have been a good student.

Did you take practice tests? Take a course? If it were me and I was getting in the teens, I would seek out a private tutor or a comprehensive course to help me get over that hump

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT 5 times already- scores: 15, 19, 19, 22, 22. I went to an Ivy League college, and even though I know the material I just cannot understand when they ask me questions on the exam what the heck they mean.

The best way forward is to do a postbacc with linkage to a DO school...LMU-DOM has one with a minimun 20 mcat. Then if you maintain a 3.0 in the program, they will interview you. I heard the interview is somewhat a formality. After 5 times, there is no more need to retake.

Did you take practice tests? Take a course? If it were me and I was getting in the teens, I would seek out a private tutor or a comprehensive course to help me get over that hump

I am curious about how you prepared for the test as well. How many practice tests did you do? How is your score breakdown? Is your verbal score super low? Or is it just all around poor?

If you want us to help you, you need to give us specifics on how you studied so the posters on here can pinpoint exactly what you did wrong in your studying and what you can do to improve.

Ditto on getting the tutor or taking the course.

I need a bit more information from you to be sure, but it sounds like you've been self-studying. The first score--15--indicates a major content gap. The 19s do as well. 22s could be either content gaps or a failure to grasp how to approach the passages (which sounds to be your problem). Are you struggling in one section or is your score evenly distributed? And how are you studying? Two months each time isn't nearly as much as you might think, especially if you're content focused.

If you've been focusing on content review, stop. You need passages to learn how to take them. TBR, TPRH, EK, etc. AAMCs are for when you're ready. It sounds to me like you could benefit from a course by Kaplan or Princeton Review though.

I'm pretty sure this isn't real. A top school (and any school really) would have a premed adviser that would let you know that taking the MCAT repeatedly, let alone 5 times, is a problem. And we all know that studying 2 months is not "A lotttt of effort".

I'm pretty sure this isn't real. A top school (and any school really) would have a premed adviser that would let you know that taking the MCAT repeatedly, let alone 5 times, is a problem. And we all know that studying 2 months is not "A lotttt of effort".

Nor is a 3.44 a good student. But the OP seems to think so.

Last edited:
You simply don't know the material. It's ok, I tricked myself into believing I knew the stuff as well. Once you truly get it, you'll understand you we're mistaken before.

Assuming that you are being serious, you need to provide more information, so we can more pin point your issues.

A. Two months may not be enough for you. Not because "the guy in your class" did it in six weeks and got 45 does not necessarily mean that you can do the same. Remove your ego from the equation. Ivy league or the local community college, it does not matter--that is why it is a Standardized test. Take my brother for example, he can score 14-15 on the Verbal section, without breaking a sweat (he reads 7 days per week for hours most of his life.) I on the other hand will need to do hundreds of practice to break 10 on Verbal.

B. Are you finishing on time?

C. Are you doing practice problems/Exams. Are you truly reviewing these practice exams/problems.

D. What books have you used. Some are better than others.

E. You can do better than 24.

F. Please provide us with more information, so we can try to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about how you prepared for the test as well. How many practice tests did you do? How is your score breakdown? Is your verbal score super low? Or is it just all around poor?

This! 15, 19, 22. What were the score breakdowns by section? And how did they compare to any practice tests beforehand? I used diagnostic testing to direct my studies towards the areas I needed the most help in. While a 24 would be a nice bump up, a score of 10-4-10 isn't looked at the same way as 8-8-8.

Based on your posts so far I have a feeling English is your second language. Am I correct? I think this may be a factor if so. Thoughts?

Actually English is my 3rd language...What's your point? I am lost!

Last edited:
You simply don't know the material. It's ok, I tricked myself into believing I knew the stuff as well. Once you truly get it, you'll understand you we're mistaken before.

I'd like to expand on this.

It's either that what I posted above is true, or you have devastating case of test anxiety. Good news: both can be fixed.

But until you speak further, I can't believe you when you say you know the material cold when after 5 tests you haven't broken a 23. :oops: I scored that on a Diagnostic test knowing roughly half of the material.

No offense, but unless you're willing to wait 3+ years, MD is out of the question since all those tests are relevant and will weigh you down as an applicant.

I say apply DO (and very broadly). Despite what SDN says, a 3.4 at an Ivy is impressive and I'm sure some DO schools will give you at least an interview. From there it will be up to you to wow them.

It certainly is good enough. The stats don't lie, and your post was dangerously general.

How was my post dangerously general? I said that 3.44 is good GPA but it might not be good enough for med school. 3.44 is a A-/B+ average and that GPA is good for any other professional programs (dental, pharm, optometry, law school etc...) Qexcept med school.

How was my post dangerously general? I said that 3.44 is good GPA but it might not be good enough for med school. 3.44 is a A-/B+ average and that GPA is good for any other professional programs (dental, pharm, optometry, law school etc...) Qexcept med school.

But with the OP writing about getting into an MD medical school, it is low. That's why I brought that up. I think DO would be a better bet.

I am sorry, but medicine may not be for you. Anyone who gets a 5 or lower on a section clearly has deficiencies that may prevent them from treating a patient. This is not a knock against your intelligence in general, but when it comes to medicine, maybe it's not for you.

If you truly feel that you are just not a good test taker (and believe me, everyone who doesn't do well on the mcat is "not a good test taker"), then do a post-bac program as others suggested, though you will have difficulty getting into one of those. Another option is to look at international schools/post-bacs.

Not trying to be harsh or judgmental by any means, but you need to do a self analysis and then consider hiring a med school guidance counselor to tell you how it is.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but medicine is not for you. Anyone who gets a 5 or lower on a section clearly has deficiencies that would prevent them from treating a patient. This is not a knock against your intelligence in general, but when it comes to medicine, maybe it's not for you.

If you truly feel that you are just not a good test taker (and believe me, everyone who doesn't do well on the mcat is "not a good test taker"), then do a post-bac program as others suggested, though you will have difficulty getting into one of those. Another option is to look at international schools/post-bacs.

Not trying to be harsh or judgmental by any means, but you need to do a self analysis and then consider hiring a med school guidance counselor to tell you how it is.

Last time I checked, very few doctors remember the mechanism of wittig reaction.

MCAT has very little to do with the material covered in medical school, much less in residency. It's merely an attrition test to screen out those who don't put the necessary efforts to make it to medical school.

I agree with you, though, that the op must consider a different path, unless he/she figures out a way to score 26+ on the mcat. However, to use the mcat score as the litmus paper to predict one's performance in medical school and in residency is naive at best.

And the verbal section, although obviously considered obsolete since it has been removed (?), can show a serious deficiency in either the English language or an inability to think critical.

Of course some of the information on the mcat is irrelevant to knowledge needed to get through medical school or to become a doctor, but a lot of the information is relevant. And beyond that, it is an intelligence test (ie SAT) that requires reasoning skills.

One could argue the studies that show mcat scores show only a 9% or so correlation to how well a student will do on their step 1s, but this is to a point. Depending on the study, this "non-correlation" ends around an mcat of 24-26, which is why many MD/DO/International schools have a specific minimum of 24-26. And you could also argue that your score on step 1 doesn't even correlate how good of a doctor you will be, since much of that information is irrelevant depending on the field of medicine you ultimately end up at.

I am all for post bacc programs for those who truly know medicine is the only career that would leave them fulfilled. Many are one year "tests" to confirm that you have what it takes to become a doctor, especially if you have a low GPA, mcat, or red flags on applications.

And for those who say the 3.5 isn't a good GPA, they need to consider the school, classes taken, and other situations. A 3.5 at a difficult program while taking the hardest classes and paying your way through college sure sounds awesome! Or on the other hand, a 3.5 at an institution that is known to inflate grades while the student doesn't participate in many ECs doesn't sound as good...

(1) I am great at standardized exams. I had a 1450 out of 1600 on the SAT. No test anxiety.

(2) I took the Princeton Review prep course. Studied all the books and then did exam sections individually. I then took practice exams.

(3) I know the material but I am not an incredibly strong science student. I did struggle with genetics and orgo I, barely passed. When I read the passages I just don't understand what's going on sometimes.

You say here that it might be good enough for medical school. That is a fair assessment. Your previous post said that is is not good enough for med school. That's too black and white, and too general. Dozens and dozens of people get in annually with a 3.4. People get in annually with <3.0 to both allopathic and osteopathic schools.

That's why I said the stats don't lie. And that's why your post is too general -- this isn't a black and white process, so don't make it out to be.

(1) I am great at standardized exams. I had a 1450 out of 1600 on the SAT. No test anxiety.

(2) I took the Princeton Review prep course. Studied all the books and then did exam sections individually. I then took practice exams.

(3) I know the material but I am not an incredibly strong science student. I did struggle with genetics and orgo I, barely passed. When I read the passages I just don't understand what's going on sometimes.

Do not sit for the exam again until you can average 26+ on practice exams. You may already be too late.

Last edited:
I am not able to get a 26+ on the exams though.. I am really frustrated and feel like dropping this whole idea of medical school now.

Which practice exams would you recommend and how many of them?

Which practice exams would you recommend and how many of them?

AAMC, and all of them.

Start from scratch. Do a complete, thorough and intense content review. Then start taking practice exams. Note your weakness in exams, and fix them.

You've dug yourself a pretty deep hole, but if you do it right this time you might be ok. One more bombed test might be the last string though. Adcoms will begin to doubt you can handle the step exams (and rightly so).

OP, if you truly want to become a doctor, you'll do all the necessary efforts to be one.

If there's a will, there's a way.

Step #1. Make a decision.
Step #2. Don't rush yourself. Let it take as long as it takes. Don't put a due date on it.
Step #3. Do content review. Your poor performance reflects a deep lack of knowledge.
Step #4. Do lots of practice. Practice as many passages as you can. Develop test-taking skills. Master the POE technique. Don't touch the AAMC material yet.
Step #5. Review the contents you're still weak at.
Step #6. Do more passages.
Step #7. Take as many FL's as you can.
Step #8. Start with the AAMC FLs. Don't do more than one per week. Allow sufficient time to go over the test after taking it.
Step #9. DO NOT take the exam again unless you are scoring 30++ on your test. You can't afford any more subpar scores. Aim for 35+.
Step #10. Stay positive.

OP, if you truly want to become a doctor, you'll do all the necessary efforts to be one.

If there's a will, there's a way.

Step #1. Make a decision.
Step #2. Don't rush yourself. Let it take as long as it takes. Don't put a due date on it.
Step #3. Do content review. Your poor performance reflects a deep lack of knowledge.
Step #4. Do lots of practice. Practice as many passages as you can. Develop test-taking skills. Master the POE technique. Don't touch the AAMC material yet.
Step #5. Review the contents you're still weak at.
Step #6. Do more passages.
Step #7. Take as many FL's as you can.
Step #8. Start with the AAMC FLs. Don't do more than one per week. Allow sufficient time to go over the test after taking it.
Step #9. DO NOT take the exam again unless you are scoring 30++ on your test. You can't afford any more subpar scores. Aim for 35+.
Step #10. Stay positive.

Agree with this. Step #9 is a little optimistic, given it would be double your best score, but good advice nevertheless. Have a "I'm going to get a 45" mentality.

If you want it bad enough, you'll find away. If you end up owning it this will be an example of "overcoming adversity" that you can milk during every interview for the rest of your life.
:thumbup:

Your SAT score is astounding (yours is so much higher than mine), but the MCAT is a different exam because the MCAT is a knowledge and comprehension exam. Are you doing extracurricular activities - medical and nonemedical - that will encourage to want to get into medical school (osteopathic or allopathic)? A 3.4 grade point average is not that bad, but to be competitive you need a high MCAT score (example, high 30s) and possibly high 20s for osteopathic.

Also, I am from a city college and plenty of my friends had far lower SAT scores then you did, only been in the United States for ten years, and they scored in the high 20s and even lower 30s. Some went to medical school and others to osteopathic. There's still a possibility you can do well but you need to figure out what you are doing wrong. Taking the MCAT 5 times and not getting at least a 25 (which is the average) is indicative that you are deficient in knowledge and comprehension. Do you read the content and try to understand what the concepts are about?

Which section (verbal, physical, or biological) is your strongest section? Which is your weakest? Did you do practice AAMC e-mcats? Did you do content review and lots of review of your mistakes on practice passages? Are you timing yourself? When you did your Princeton Review exams, what were your scores? Did you learn from your mistakes? Does not matter if you did bad in organic or genetics, you can still do well on the MCAT if you put your mind and heart into this. You cannot hope to get a good score, you have to earn it like most have.

I want to help you like the others.

Perhaps, you can take a Kaplan course, or get Examkrakers or The Berkeley Review books (I recommend Berkeley for practice very much).

Make sure after you take a practice exam you go over all of it and know why you got each question right or wrong. Look for patterns in the types of questions you get wrong.

Yes! And don't forget to take a look at the questions you may have answered correctly but with just a guess. It's easy to overlook it as something you got right, but at the end of the day if you weren't 100% sure about an answer, it's worth looking up and revisiting the content.

thank you so much for your help guys! Very generous of you. I will surely begin with the AAMC practice tests and ask if I need further help from you.

thanks!!!!!! :) :thumbup:

thank you so much for your help guys! Very generous of you. I will surely begin with the AAMC practice tests and ask if I need further help from you.

Don't you dare do a AAMC practice test yet. You have a huge amount of review to do before you even click the start button. Those are the rarest tests and most like the real thing (because they were the real thing). Save those for right before you retake to build the test taking strategy.

Okay, here's my input from what you've said:

1) Step away from the AAMC tests immediately. Those are the absolute last thing you do when you study.
2) Breathe (seriously). You're letting how you've preformed previously ruin your mojo. You said it yourself: you're frustrated enough to quit. Just take a minute (or hour or day or week) to shake that off. Get in the mindset that you can and will do better. Nothing can happen until you do that.
3) Cruise over to the stickied threads on 30+ MCAT scores and the 3-4 month plans. See what other successful people were doing. Honestly compare that to how you prepared. Take notes.
4) Devise a strategy, day by day, for how to restudy. Begin with content. Reinforce with passages. Do more passages. Review those passages, right, wrong, or guess, ruthlessly until you know you'll never fall into the same logic trap again. The MCAT is as much content as it is learning the strategy of the game. If you have content down, you need to practice your game play (passages), not the tactics (studying). Content --> Passages --> AAMC tests.
5) Breathe some more. Relax. Allow flexibility in your schedule. If you aren't getting something, take an extra day or two.
6) Sign up when, and only when, you are ready. That means when you've finished 80% of your plan and the practice tests and passages are going well, not because you have a deadline set in your head.
7) Have I mentioned breathing yet? It's important.

If you managed a 3.44 at a top school, you aren't stupid. You just need to learn to take this test, just as you'll have to learn to take the USMLE and just as you completed the SAT. The most intelligent person in the world won't do well if they keep hitting the "I can't get passed this" brick wall. So find your 'zen' place and get cracking.

Heres what i suggest you do.

Take the DAT, become a dentist.

ok. if the above advice doesn't settle your stomach then heres what you need to do. Get TBR and read their books front to back 3-4 times. Once that is done, focus on getting better at test taking. (Get a tutor, etc). Its obvious that your knowledge of basic science is lacking, and theres nothing wrong with this. Many schools, Ivy or not, have crappy undergraduate programs and its likely that your professors didn't make much of an effort to make sure you learn. So its up to you to LEARN the content first. Then focus on doing problems, you'll be amazed how much easier test taking gets if you know how to cross out random answers because you know some random fact.

If you don't have the dedication to do what i suggested, i think you should pursue an alternate career path like Dentistry. The DAT is easier than the MCAT (not by alot but it is) and you would have more luck there i think.

You guys do realize this is his 5th MCAT right? Even if he gets a 30+ adcoms will be very skeptical of his score since it took him 5 times to achieve it.

OP would need a 35+ and even then, adcoms will still look at the previous 4 scores and wonder "What happened?"

You guys do realize this is his 5th MCAT right? Even if he gets a 30+ adcoms will be very skeptical of his score since it took him 5 times to achieve it.

OP would need a 35+ and even then, adcoms will still look at the previous 4 scores and wonder "What happened?"

That's why I think the OP needs to wait at least three years before retaking it. He/she could argue that they were immature and are a different person. Plus, most schools will view the previous scores as invalid.

Going into the MCAT unprepared one time is bad. Repeating that decision four more times is horrible.

I'm not sure if OP is trolling... I took the MCAT for the first time and only studied half of physics examkrackers, no practice tests and got a 23....

You must be doing something wrong. If this is serious, have you paid for a service like kaplan's or Examkracker's in-class test prep?

I'm not sure if OP is trolling... I took the MCAT for the first time and only studied half of physics examkrackers, no practice tests and got a 23....

You must be doing something wrong. If this is serious, have you paid for a service like kaplan's or Examkracker's in-class test prep?

I took the mcat last year and received 20. I studied using EK for 5 weeks. My low score is pretty much attributed to scoring 3 on verbal (8 in ps and 9 in bs).

If you screw up one section you pretty much screw up your entire score. Scoring 10+ on two section while scoring lower than 5 on the third will result in a subpar score.

I still wonder if the OP was even finishing the exams. I do not think he/she put in enough preparation. Nobody should have to attempt the MCAT "on the record" five times.

The OP could have an undiagnosed learning disability. That is always a possibility that should be put on the table in extraordinary circumstances.

I don't know many schools that would entertain your application even if you got a respectable score on a retake. I don't really know what's going wrong, but perhaps you should consider a different path.

I am sorry, but medicine may not be for you. Anyone who gets a 5 or lower on a section clearly has deficiencies that may prevent them from treating a patient. This is not a knock against your intelligence in general, but when it comes to medicine, maybe it's not for you.

Last edited:
darktooth, I think you embarrassed yourself enough with that post that I don't need to say anything else. I provided an analysis and a possible solution for the OP's question. You have provided nothing to the conversation.

Last edited:
This is truly a stupid post. You obviously have no concept of what it means to be a doctor.

20-40 yrs ago you could into allopathic MD schools with an MCAT score in the low 20's (the doctors that have been taking care of you and your parents). Wasn't that long ago people got into DO school regularly with a sub 20 score. and currently podiatry and DO students can still admitted with low MCATs. How come they were able to do it and they are competent and successful despite their score? I'll tell you why. because the MCAT means squat when it comes to being a doctor. It ONLY serves to make the screening process harder since thousands of people apply.

Looking through your post history, it seems youre applying to DO only. I'm sure you'll BS everyone as to why (you like the philosophy, yadda yadda), but we both know its because you don't have the stats for MD school. So its funny you're talking down to others. Most people apply to MD schools then apply to DO schools as a back up plan. You, however, can't do MD, and late in the season you haven't got much out of the DO application process it would seem. Maybe medicine isn't for you. Quit and go play hockey in your backyard instead.

Sure, but if you can't do well on the MCAT you can't get into med school. So your entire post is moot.