I just changed my major and am now Pre-pharmacy and need course help, bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was about 3 semesters away from my Business (HR Management) and I decided to change my major to Pharmacy. Problem here is that I need to take a but load of science classes with labs (Chem I and II; Biology I And II; Physics I and II; Organic Chem I and II and finally Anatomy I and II, all with labs except Organic Chem I). It is not that I think I can't do it it. I is the time that is bothering me. In what way can I take these classes to maximize my time and get done faster so that I can take my PCAT and get into a Pharmacy program (specifically and SIUE)? Also after I get to SIUE how long will I have to spend there until I finally get my PharmD. and can say no more school for awile. Oh and I need to fit Calculus in too.

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably get all of those done in 3 semesters if you take a few classes during the summer. I would try to cram 2 or 3 sciences into each semester.

I was about 3 semesters away from my Business (HR Management) and I decided to change my major to Pharmacy. Problem here is that I need to take a but load of science classes with labs (Chem I and II; Biology I And II; Physics I and II; Organic Chem I and II and finally Anatomy I and II, all with labs except Organic Chem I). It is not that I think I can't do it it. I is the time that is bothering me. In what way can I take these classes to maximize my time and get done faster so that I can take my PCAT and get into a Pharmacy program (specifically and SIUE)? Also after I get to SIUE how long will I have to spend there until I finally get my PharmD. and can say no more school for awile. Oh and I need to fit Calculus in too.
First of all, congrats on challenging your major and not doing HR--especially in this crappy economy. Phamacy will lead you to a more secure future and a better life.

I would try to do 3 science classes per semester and just pace yourself...take things slow and not try to rush things...especially with these science classes--they are all going to be pretty tough! I know where you are coming from: I have an economics degree from Bowdoin--so I will be taking all of the same classes that you need as well.

P.S. Always remember: rushing classes can mean sacrificing your GPA and science/ math grades--its not worth it...take only like 12 credits a semester and study hard!

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with rphfan2009. Don't rush through these science courses as they grades you receive in them will be examined more closely than those in the rest of your transcript. Three science courses a semester is tough but manageable.
I would advise waiting to take the PCAT at least until after you have finished Gen Chem I and II, Org I and Biol I and II.
Studying hard for the courses and the PCAT will help you secure a spot in pharmacy school. Most PharmD programs are four years (there are some three year accelerated programs) with the last year being rotations in different pharmacy settings.
Best of luck to you.

Rushing typically leads to a few withdrawals - and possibly a few bad grades. Take your time - The instinct to rush is one that you will have to deal with - you cannot change the fact that it will take several years to get through these classes.

I recommend two difficult classes at a time - Take Bio 1 w/ lab and Chem 1 w/lab at the same time. Then Bio 2 w/ lab and Chem 2 w/lab. Then move onto A&P 1 w/ lab and Organic Chem 1 w/ lab... etc.

Fill in the rest of your schedule with electives that are interesting or required, but will not kill you.

Remember - the race is long, and in the end, it is only with yourself.

To address your question about how long - The pre req portion is up to you how long it will take. Once you are accepted - pharmacy school is 3 or 4 years, depending upon the program.

Please take the time to read the Pre-pharmacy FAQ at the top of the forum - it has a LOT of great information for students just starting the journey.

Rushing typically leads to a few withdrawals - and possibly a few bad grades. Take your time - The instinct to rush is one that you will have to deal with - you cannot change the fact that it will take several years to get through these classes.

I recommend two difficult classes at a time - Take Bio 1 w/ lab and Chem 1 w/lab at the same time. Then Bio 2 w/ lab and Chem 2 w/lab. Then move onto A&P 1 w/ lab and Organic Chem 1 w/ lab... etc.

Fill in the rest of your schedule with electives that are interesting or required, but will not kill you.

Remember - the race is long, and in the end, it is only with yourself.

To address your question about how long - The pre req portion is up to you how long it will take. Once you are accepted - pharmacy school is 3 or 4 years, depending upon the program.

Please take the time to read the Pre-pharmacy FAQ at the top of the forum - it has a LOT of great information for students just starting the journey.
The race is definitely a long one.

Don't rush yourself but don't take it too easy either. Speaking directly with the Dean of Admissions at UCSF, I found out that one of the things they look for is the ability to successfully pass a rigorous workload. Meaning, they want to see you taking multiple science courses in a single quarter/semester, because it gives them insight on whether or not you can handle the workload once you're accepted into the program.

2 or 3 major courses at a time sounds good. I planned for myself to take Chem and Bio together, OChem with whatever else they're making me take, and finally Physics/Calculus together.