****, I just found a big mistake in my secondary essay, am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Human_Genome

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To keep the long story short, on one of my secondary essay, i asked someone to edit it for me, and in one of the sentence he changed it to "Having immigrated to the United States ten years ago from [name of the country]", being an extremely careless person I am, i did not see that bracket and did not put in the actual name of the country.......should I call the school to explain or is there anything I can do to rescue this secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should send an updated copy to the school, make sure they can identify you so that the paper will be placed in your file, I think this is a minor mistake, nothing to worry about.
q

hmmm...

you could call, but i don't think that a staff person in the admissions office will go into your file, white out the words, and add the name of the country. i think that you should just let it be...i don't think it will make or break your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually take qdefiant's advice.

Hey thanx for the advise,

I am really afraid that the school might think I copied and pasted the whole thing from somewhere else because it looks very wierd and fishy when you have a sentence that goes "blah blah blah blah [name of the country]." I hope it's not a major mistake like you said.

You are probably in better shape than if it read "[name of the school]"

Oh man, I feel for you. That sucks so bad. I made a mistake in one of my secondaries and felt like a dumb a** afterwards. Whatever you do, good luck. Eveyone makes mistakes, so don't worry about it.

I had two typos on my secondary for my 1st choice school -- I still got in. If they like your overall package, they will forgive it. If they think you are mediocre, then even a perfect essay will not matter.

By all means, ask if you can mail/fax a correction page, but I suspect it will not matter as much as you think.

I believe you can just update it on amcas....