I just got a letter saying I got into DO school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnblake

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I'll always be able to say I CHOSE podiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of posting this? To brag???

What is the point of posting this? To brag???

Yeah, not a big deal (except for pre-med/pod students). It happens every year so what does it matter.

Congrats to the OP on making a decision that he thinks is right for him!

I have to disagree with some of your guys.

I think it's important for pre-meds out there that there are actually people out there who actually want to be podiatrists.

I can imagine that we've all had the "talk" from someone we know;

"Are you sure?"
"Podiatrists are not even doctors!"
"You can do better!"

So, I think it's wholly appropriate and encouraging to see posts like this!

I have to disagree with some of your guys.

I think it's important for pre-meds out there that there are actually people out there who actually want to be podiatrists.

I can imagine that we've all had the "talk" from someone we know;

"Are you sure?"
"Podiatrists are not even doctors!"
"You can do better!"

So, I think it's wholly appropriate and encouraging to see posts like this!

I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreeing. Kudos to the OP, but everyone who got accepted to podiatry school CHOSE podiatry over MD...you guys are forgetting about Caribbean Medical Schools. I actually talked to a high school buddy last week who is at Ross and doing his rotations in New York right now and will have M.D. after his name when he finishes up.

everyone who got accepted to podiatry school CHOSE podiatry over MD...you guys are forgetting about Caribbean Medical Schools. I actually talked to a high school buddy last week who is at Ross and doing his rotations in New York right now and will have M.D. after his name when he finishes up.

umm carribean schools are alternative but there are some people in Pod school who are here bcoz they coudnt get into Med schools and carribean wasnt really the option for them bcoz of financial issues, didnt wanted to go to a thirdworld country, afraid that the chances of getting residency are 50%. Believe me bro!

I think the OP has set a new precedent for other pre-meds who consider Podiatry as a back up profession.

Wat school do you attend by the way?

umm carribean schools are alternative but there are some people in Pod school who are here bcoz they coudnt get into Med schools and carribean wasnt really the option for them bcoz of financial issues, didnt wanted to go to a thirdworld country, afraid that the chances of getting residency are 50%. Believe me bro!

I think the OP has set a new precedent for other pre-meds who consider Podiatry as a back up profession.

Wat school do you attend by the way?

That wasn't my point. I am trying to use some word play and even humor here to point out the fact that technically everyone who got accepted into podiatry school could have been accepted into a Caribbean Medical School, thus receiving an acceptance to an "MD school". I know the risks associated with Carribean, but it is *still* an option and still gives one the chance to earn their MD if they know there **** and can make it through the hurdles.
If anything the post would be more of value if he had gained an acceptance to a US MD school lol. There are too many podiatry students who also got an acceptance to a DO school for it to be a new thread. But I realize the OPs good intentions.
To answer your question, I am not a podiatry student.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, I am not a podiatry student.

WAAAAAAAAAt, you are not a Pod Student. are you atleast a pre-pod or you just happen to have interest in Podiatry and contribute to discussions once in a while?

Keep in mind that many on this forum could've gotten into "regular" US MD schools if they wanted to as well.

WAAAAAAAAAt, you are not a Pod Student. are you atleast a pre-pod or you just happen to have interest in Podiatry and contribute to discussions once in a while?
I just finished my post bac work and applied very late in the cycle for podiatry, I was still debating if I wanted to wait another year to enroll. I got a provisional acceptance at one school and am actually interviewing at DMU next week. I only am interviewing at these two though. I also have my MCAT next week as well which I am yet to take as I wanted to complete my post bac work before doing so. But like I said, my biggest choice is not if I want to enter the field, but when to do so.

On another interesting note, many people mention pressures to go to MD school and I feel with you guys. Since I was a f'in toddler all the way up to college everyone thought I was going to take over my fathers practice or 'be like him'. But I never really wanted to. I was so fed up with the field/pressures that I even did Nursing during undergrad to get away from it (which was torture lol). During my first year at my post bac program I heard about podiatry through my roomate and became very interested in it. I did my research, shadowed, shadowed more, and found it was what I was looking for. My friends are in allopathic schools and don't really understand my decision and are telling me to atleast apply to medical school, which I'm not. The thing is, I have no desire to do so and no intention of attending if I get accepted. I think another factor is I live in Ohio which is a pre-meds dream because we have SIX allopathic schools (and one osteopathic school) which love Ohio residents ya know. But I am content with my decision. So I applaud those who follow their own path despite others around you telling you to do different.

Good luck on your MCAT next week!

man i hear you on this one, and i am also from Ohio- my dad and brother are both doctors and i was expected to carry the torch, but i liked podiatry better- i got into some med schools, but I didn't really want to go to them it just wasn't me... they think i am crazy, but hey it's my decision

man i hear you on this one, and i am also from Ohio- my dad and brother are both doctors and i was expected to carry the torch, but i liked podiatry better- i got into some med schools, but I didn't really want to go to them it just wasn't me... they think i am crazy, but hey it's my decision

Likewise, I have 2 uncles who are doctors and expected me to go through the MD route. In addition I have several cousins studying medicine in the caribbean & indian med schools. Podiatry ended up being more appealing to me.

I just finished my post bac work and applied very late in the cycle for podiatry, I was still debating if I wanted to wait another year to enroll. I got a provisional acceptance at one school and am actually interviewing at DMU next week. I only am interviewing at these two though. I also have my MCAT next week as well which I am yet to take as I wanted to complete my post bac work before doing so. But like I said, my biggest choice is not if I want to enter the field, but when to do so.

On another interesting note, many people mention pressures to go to MD school and I feel with you guys. Since I was a f'in toddler all the way up to college everyone thought I was going to take over my fathers practice or 'be like him'. But I never really wanted to. I was so fed up with the field/pressures that I even did Nursing during undergrad to get away from it (which was torture lol). During my first year at my post bac program I heard about podiatry through my roomate and became very interested in it. I did my research, shadowed, shadowed more, and found it was what I was looking for. My friends are in allopathic schools and don't really understand my decision and are telling me to atleast apply to medical school, which I'm not. The thing is, I have no desire to do so and no intention of attending if I get accepted. I think another factor is I live in Ohio which is a pre-meds dream because we have SIX allopathic schools (and one osteopathic school) which love Ohio residents ya know. But I am content with my decision. So I applaud those who follow their own path despite others around you telling you to do different.

i don't get it - if youre not applying MD then why mention you "wouldnt go if you got accepted?" sorry maybe i misunderstood.

Keep in mind that many on this forum could've gotten into "regular" US MD schools if they wanted to as well.

This is exactly what I am thinking...not everyone apply to Pod because they couldn't get into MD or DO. Some Pod students apply only to Pod programs.

I was thinking this as well? Good for the OP for doing what he wants to do.:thumbup:

I think it is actually good to see that people made the choice. You can say "oh it doesn't matter" and all that stuff, but in the end, many people don't choose a field that is potentially better for them because of their perception. A few months ago there was a thread in pre-allo spitting all sorts of idiotic things about podiatry and how nobody in their right mind would go to a podiatrist. Crap like that hurts the profession from a recruitment standpoint. Stigma is hard to shake. I had to show my dad (an MD) some videos of podiatry stuff before he really believed it was a solid field. I'm not going podiatry, but it is a personal decision on my part. By choosing one profession over the other, it shows people that they are equated as equal rather than a backup plan for failed doctors.

JohnBlake - congrats on your acceptance to both and your pod choice.
I am making the bold assumption that most 'dual field applicant's' are utilizing pod as their non-primary selection.
However I am not aggressive against applicants utilizing a field as their primary and having an alternate field, much like most students have a particular school but will also be applying to secondary schools... This is a natural and honest progression as most of the collective group want to learn, to help, and to apply their skill sets to better others... but due to competition amongst applicants, limited numbers of seats and other means everyone will not get what they want - that's a bottom line.
So to those that seek their goals - cheers.
To those that make slight compromise in their glide path but fulfill their overall goal - cheers...
and to those that purely seek wealth, intellectual prestige among hollow figures with no true heart or mind.....and simply flail through multiple admission committees and standards until someone will take them (their money that is....) well you can bugger off!
To those that are pre-pods...applying as pods and seek to be pods... well - i salute you!