I just had a hot flash!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to my PCP today to review some routine labs that I hadn't had done in a long time. Everything was immaculate except for HDL (37 mg/dL where the lower limit is 40). Since I have a stong family history for CAD, I decided to add high dose slow release niacin to my vitamin regimen. For dinner tonight, I took the niacin (500mg) with my traditional class of wine. About twenty minutes later when I was sitting at my desk, I noticed a warm sensation on my face and neck. I reached my hand out towards the heating vent, and there was no flow. It kept getting warmer and warmer to the point where I took off my shirt. I walked over to my bathroom mirror and found that my face and neck were bright red.

I now have slightly more empathy for menopausal women.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to my PCP today to review some routine labs that I hadn't had done in a long time. Everything was immaculate except for HDL (37 mg/dL where the lower limit is 40). Since I have a stong family history for CAD, I decided to add high dose slow release niacin to my vitamin regimen. For dinner tonight, I took the niacin (500mg) with my traditional class of wine. About twenty minutes later when I was sitting at my desk, I noticed a warm sensation on my face and neck. I reached my hand out towards the heating vent, and there was no flow. It kept getting warmer and warmer to the point where I took off my shirt. I walked over to my bathroom mirror and found that my face and neck were bright red.

:laugh: ahh yes, niacin and it's flushing. take an ASA with it, that should help a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
try "Flush Free Niacin" -- inositol hexanicotinate

...not sure if it'll help with the mood swings though ;)

I once had to take a pee test in high school and everyone told me to take niacin. So I did, and I turned red and became itchy and felt like I was going to turn inside out or something. Good times. Then, i never had to take the pee test. good story.

I once had to take a pee test in high school and everyone told me to take niacin. So I did, and I turned red and became itchy and felt like I was going to turn inside out or something. Good times. Then, i never had to take the pee test. good story.

actually people in my highschool used to do this as well and I've always wondered if it really works or not....it'd be a cool episode of mythbusters if they tried it :D

actually people in my highschool used to do this as well and I've always wondered if it really works or not....it'd be a cool episode of mythbusters if they tried it :D

they take it for what reason?

taking niacin to help clear out their system for a drug test

It doesn't work. THC supposedly stays in your adipocytes until you use the fat. Thats the word on the streets.

Isn't niacin needed for some some enzyme as a cofactor? P450...detox?

It doesn't work. THC supposedly stays in your adipocytes until you use the fat. Thats the word on the streets.

werd, i agree.....definitely dunno how niacin got the wrap for helpin' clear the system out

Isn't niacin needed for some some enzyme as a cofactor? P450...detox?

It's metabolite, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is a coenzyme in a lot of basic metabolic reactions. I'm not sure what the MOA is for increasing HDL or detoxing.

*note: It seems that if you didn't want to test positive on a drug test for fat-soluble drugs, your best move would be to maintain a high insulin/glucagon ratio and a low epinephrine state by eating a lot and not exercising.

It's metabolite, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is a coenzyme in a lot of basic metabolic reactions. I'm not sure what the MOA is for increasing HDL or detoxing.

*note: It seems that if you didn't want to test positive on a drug test for fat-soluble drugs, your best move would be to maintain a high insulin/glucagon ratio and a low epinephrine state by eating a lot and not exercising.

Ahh yeah. NAD+. So taking Niacin just means you'll be dehydrogenating a lot of pyruvate.
The fat with THC in it would presumably be only the fat that your body made while you had THC in your blood. I suppose, rather than trying to burn those specific triglycerides off you'd be better off eating a crap load of fast food and french fries for a day or two before the urine test. You'd probably want to drink a crap load of water since it exits via urine.

Oh yeah, cytochrome p450 is involved in detox stuff. The enzyme that re-reduces p450 uses NAD+ I think.

no, fad and nadph

yeehaw

taking niacin to help clear out their system for a drug test

I heard this idea in undergrad as well. I think the basis for it to load up on niacin once you know about your drug test day. I'm not sure of the mechanism whereby it would act as a toxin remover, but from what i heard from those taking it was that extra niacin would basically make you feel like you are sick or have the flu (perhaps the whole flushing mechanism). By sweating a whole lot you have to pump your body with fluids to compensate for the lose and thus may possibly flush out anything in your system, or dilute it down.

But then again, this could just work by drinking lots of water. mythbusters needs to cash in on this one.

Update:

Yesterday in the first morning path lecture, I suddenly turned bright red, became very warm, and was itchy all over. The flushing affected my face, neck, extermeties and even parts of my trunk. I was reading the directions on my EpiPen just in case. People were literally standing around and looking at me during the break (those bastards were probably hoping that would go into anaphylactic shock or something).

I just decided to stop taking niacin. Sigh...

werd, i agree.....definitely dunno how niacin got the wrap for helpin' clear the system out

It likely is just a cheaper way to identify the people using drugs at school - you announce that you are doing a urine test, then start a rumor that niacin will help "clear the system" then you show up and look for the bright red kids having a hot flash. Voila. :laugh: :laugh:

Not a problem with munchies and lungs full of schmoke...

People were literally standing around and looking at me during the break (those bastards were probably hoping that would go into anaphylactic shock or something)./QUOTE]

haha... the medical school vultures.