I just read this and was quite amused

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyegirl2k7

Bridget Jones here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
But the huge problem which pissed me off royally is the prescription itself.

The optometrist asked me a good 30 times whether this or that lense was "Yes" or "No" (meaning better or worse). That suggests that he could have differentiated about a billion possibilities. I suspect that we can't tell the difference between more than about 1000 different lenses so ...

I expect an official doctor's prescription to read something like
1.072 far and
2.217 near.

Well, here's what he gave me ...

distance +1.00

reading 2.25

Whuddafuk! Says I. For about $40 bucks all I get is "uno" and "two and a quarter"?? It means that he's differentiating by quarters, i.e. from maybe a dozen possibilities.
Why?

The answer occurred to me right away. He's rounding off the numbers so that I can purchase the specs from a cheap mall type store (in this case it was supposed to be Sam's of WalMart fame) ... and ... they don't grind lenses in Sam's or even in the mall ... they grind the sides to fit the frame from a stock of hundreds of standardized specifications. Obviously, they can't stock a billion different sizes. So if you want a "true" prescription filled, you need to have them ground to your personal specifications ... and that costs a buck or two more (probably a lot).

Someone needs to share with this fellow that lenses come in quarter diopters... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

and what they're actually testing for. Too bad he didn't have astigmatism... that would have rocked his world !!! ;)

ps --- where did you find that, Eyegirl?

Members don't see this ad :)
The optometrist asked me a good 30 times whether this or that lense was "Yes" or "No" (meaning better or worse). That suggests that he could have differentiated about a billion possibilities. I suspect that we can't tell the difference between more than about 1000 different lenses so ...

wow that's pretty funny! i had to pull this up from the past!

actually the fact that the optometrist had to ask 30 times, its actually the patient's fault, he cant make up his damn mind! if anything, this is a referral to a psychologist.