I just received this email from GW but I'm asian (ORM) and not SES disadvantaged...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdhere1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Dead sdhere1234,

We received notification of your intention to apply to medical school based upon your decision to participate in the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry."

Confused as to why since Asisns are not considered minorities in medicine, I looked up the registry and found this...

Who Is Eligible to Participate?
You are eligible if (a) you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States (“Green Card” holder), or have been granted refugee/asylum or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. government, and (b) you are economically disadvantaged or of low socio-economic status (SES), or you self-identify as a member of a racial or ethnic group historically underrepresented in medicine--African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.

So is this just a mistake on AMCAS? I double checked my application and I have "Asian" selected for self identification and I also opted out of being considered a "disadvantaged applicant"

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

A disadvantage indeed.

(Just contact them and clear it up)

Did a search and I think I figured it out. I must have accidentally clicked the boxing during my mcat. You can only sign up for it when you take the exam. And nice catch =x

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that too. Amcas automatically marked me SES because my parents only have associates degrees or lower.

Yeah, it looks like GW had been sending some erratic emails today, including the AAMC Minorite Registration.

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I got it also as a caucasian, oddly it didn't go to my email registered w/AMCAS but my school address.

I got it as an Asian and am pretty sure I marked the correct boxes on the MCAT. I ignored the emails.