I just took my first practice test on CDP without timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnight24

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 60/90 for a score of 18

11/15 keyholes
10/15 TFE
10/15 angles
14/15 hole punching
12/15 cube(this section was insane because there were like 30-40 stacks of cubes for EACH question :idea:

5/15 pattern ( I put C for all of them because I got so tired and i thought this section was absolutely impossible)

it took me close to two hours but I did finish the angle and hole punching under 10 minutes and it took me around 20 mins for the keyhole.

the only section I am positive I can get 13-15 correct is cube and hole punching.

Also I did line counting on the TFE and it did help eliminate choices for almost half the questions.

Seriously I don't know if I can handle the real test:(

Members don't see this ad.

11/15 keyholes
10/15 TFE
10/15 angles
14/15 hole punching
12/15 cube(this section was insane because there were like 30-40 stacks of cubes for EACH question :idea:

5/15 pattern ( I put C for all of them because I got so tired and i thought this section was absolutely impossible)

it took me close to two hours but I did finish the angle and hole punching under 10 minutes and it took me around 20 mins for the keyhole.

the only section I am positive I can get 13-15 correct is cube and hole punching.

Also I did line counting on the TFE and it did help eliminate choices for almost half the questions.

dude that's horrible.

I took my first recently as well... got a 20 with 20 extra minutes. surprisingly i did the worst in cube counting, which i thought would be a gimme. I feel like after reviewing the answers to the questions i missed, process of elimination is absolutely vital to this test (not so much for cubes, but for folding, angles, keyholes, and TFE). Keep at it.... use the first 3 exams as benchmarks, using them to get better. dont take them over and over again, but do test 1 and go back to it like 3 days later. once you start to see improvement move on to test 4-10 . I am on test 6 and and I have gotten 23,23,25 (4,5,6). i didn't start doing 4 until i could get 24 on 1,2, and 3

Members don't see this ad :)
The 1st one is practice man lol review what you got wrong and figure out why. Oh and the angles will get harder on your next few but TFE will come to you easier and keyholes become blatantly obvious.. My 1st test I got a 22 but it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I made a 16 on my first PAT. T_T
It was the Kaplan diagnostic too, so it was also a lot easier than CDP and the real DAT.
I didn't even understand what was going on and was looking for questions on each of the problems LOL.

Don't worry. You will get better through practice. I'm averaging a 22 on CDP now.

CDP is too easy compared to the real DAT

i always scored 22+ on all 10 exams but when i took DAT i got 19

You got it! just hang in there and keep practicing! We have all prepared so hard and for so many hours, don't give up right at the end!

I think practicing without timing is pointless
DAT is all about timing
if you can't finish on time it is useless
you must practice with the correct timing for every sections
also CDP is easier than the real DAT so search on SDN all the methods to solve PAT questions
and figure out the methods that works for you

I didn't say much on PAT but if you want come visit my breakdown TS25 AA23 PAT23
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=927264

I think practicing without timing is pointless
DAT is all about timing
if you can't finish on time it is useless
you must practice with the correct timing for every sections
also CDP is easier than the real DAT so search on SDN all the methods to solve PAT questions
and figure out the methods that works for you

I didn't say much on PAT but if you want come visit my breakdown TS25 AA23 PAT23
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=927264

I have to agree. I never took a practice test without timing myself. Timing is everything, you have to train yourself to be efficient at taking the test timed.
I thought my actual PAT was easier than the CDP, I averaged 18, 20, 18, 19, 19 (timed) and made a 21 on the real test.

only certain sections... i thought CDP was harder for TFE, angles, hole punch, and cube counting. I guess it all depends on what kind of REAL test you get...

I think it is safe to assume that the hole punching, angle ranking, and cube counting will be easier on the REAL DAT than in CDP.

30-40 stacks of cubes for EACH freakin question on CDP seriously??? thats ridiculous. There should be 2-3 questions for EACH set of cubes. People who use the tally method will die if we get 30 stacks for each question.
Also, I notice that the hole punching on the practice mode/competition mode on CDP is harder than their practice test. Lol I can't believe I still got an 18 when I blindly guessed all of the pattern folding lmao...

Opposite for me... found it much easier than CDP. Lowest score was a 17 on CDP and highest was a 22 (once). Got a 23 on the real thing.

TFE, Angles, Hole punching, pattern folding, cube counting were all easier on the real test. Keyholes were only slightly harder on the real thing because of more emphasis on proportions/similar answer choices.

Opposite for me... found it much easier than CDP. Lowest score was a 17 on CDP and highest was a 22 (once). Got a 23 on the real thing.

TFE, Angles, Hole punching, pattern folding, cube counting were all easier on the real test. Keyholes were only slightly harder on the real thing because of more emphasis on proportions/similar answer choices.

Agree. This is the first time I heard people said Cdp was easier

Agree. This is the first time I heard people said Cdp was easier

well I don't know when you took the DAT
but some people who took the DAT last 2 months actually thought
some sections of CDP were easier than the real DAT
and I personally felt in that way too.
I was scoring 21~25 in CDP but my PAT score is much more like achiever and topscore PAT than CDP.

I scored 16 on my first one (Timed) 18 on my second (un-timed). My CDP average was 21, my Achiever average was 18, I scored a 23 on the real thing.

The benefit of doing them without a timer is that by doing them slowly, you make sure you're not just rushing or guessing. It forces you to learn how to do the questions correctly. Use the thread posted above in reply #2. Sama's Wicked Sick PAT tutorial is a great place to really understand how to attempt most question types in PAT.

Keep at it your scores WILL go up and you WILL get a very good handle on PAT!

TFE was my worst section then it got easier after about test 5. Hole punch was also one of my worst sections and now my last 2 tests I got only 1 or 2 wrong because of the symmetry tutorial from (insert name here as I forgot and don't want to look it up now).
Just keep practicing, you will get better. For pattern folding I use process of elimination. I actually write down, A, B, C, D and put a mark under each one that I know can't be right. Elimination helps me focus on the ones that are still in the running without looking all of them over and over again.
I've done all ten tests and now I am doing them over again. I haven't been able to break 21 yet but I have 3 weeks to go so hopefully by then I will improve even more. I wonder how Topscore compares with the real PAT.

TFE was my worst section then it got easier after about test 5. Hole punch was also one of my worst sections and now my last 2 tests I got only 1 or 2 wrong because of the symmetry tutorial from (insert name here as I forgot and don't want to look it up now).
Just keep practicing, you will get better. For pattern folding I use process of elimination. I actually write down, A, B, C, D and put a mark under each one that I know can't be right. Elimination helps me focus on the ones that are still in the running without looking all of them over and over again.
I've done all ten tests and now I am doing them over again. I haven't been able to break 21 yet but I have 3 weeks to go so hopefully by then I will improve even more. I wonder how Topscore compares with the real PAT.

Do you use line counting at all? I know everyone said not to do that but for CDP I feel like it helps a TON

Do you use line counting at all? I know everyone said not to do that but for CDP I feel like it helps a TON

I rarely use line counting now...though i did in the beginnig. Now I look at corresponding sides and match them up with choices. Then I try to use process of elimination based on dimentions and/or dashed lines vs no dashed line.

11/15 keyholes
10/15 TFE
10/15 angles
14/15 hole punching

I remember using CDP and thinking that they were crazy to give you like 40 cubes to count. I was worried I would get that many on the real DAT. Fortunately, the DAT was a lot easier for cube counting. It was pretty comparable for all the other sections.