1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

I just took the MCAT and I need some advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by flaminghotswedishfish, Sep 18, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. flaminghotswedishfish

flaminghotswedishfish

Jun 22, 2014
    I am studying molecular biology/biochemistry at UCSB. My cGPA is 3.34 and my science GPA is probably around a 3.3. I still have one more year to go so I hope to bring my GPA up to 3.4 at least. I have 3 C's, in Gen Chem (Thermo), intro bio 1 (C+), and intro to bio lab (C+). I actually took upper division thermodynamics and got a B+. My GPA was awful my sophomore year since I got my first job that year and had trouble with the workload at first but now I've been consistently getting 3.5+ GPAs every quarter while maintaining that job, doing research, and volunteering.

I was consistently getting 30+ (30-36) on my MCAT practice tests and I have a feeling I got closer to a 36 than a 30 on the actual test.

I've been doing research in a molecular biology lab for a year now and we hope to get published soon. I have been interning at 2 hospitals for over 2 years and I have traveled to other countries set up clinics as well. I have plenty of letters of Rec from science professors, doctors that I've volunteered with (all MD's however, I don't know how this will affect my chances at a DO school), and the manager of my internship program.

At the end of the day, I just want to practice medicine in the US, whether it be DO or MD. What is the best path to take at this point with my resume? Do I even stand a chance applying with these stats (assuming I did well on the MCAT) or should I consider a postbac? I would like to avoid doing a postbac if possible. It seems like a lot of money to relearn things I feel like I know pretty well and I'm afraid that it will take too long and my MCAT score will no longer be valid. I have basically no background in psych or soc so I don't feel comfortable taking the new 2015 MCAT.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mx300

Mx300 New Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2005
    I think that you are good for DO schools if you score a 27+. Also its not a good idea to have a certain score in your head, I know several people who were scoring mid to high 30's on the practice tests and ended up with a score in the high 20's. Not to freak you out but its a weird test, I recently got my score back and when i walked out of the test I thought I did well in verbal but struggled in bio, turns out I did really well in bio and average in verbal. If you do score in the 30's then I think you might be ok even for your state MD school depending on where you live. If you dont want to do a post bac then dont, I think your GPA is ok for alot of DO schools. Your EC's look good, try to get a DO letter if you can, it will open more doors. Some schools say its not required but I didnt get any attention from TCOM last cycle even though I was above their average stats and I think it was because I had no DO shadowing or letter. Try to show that you have exposure to osteopathic medicine if you can, try to shadow a doctor who uses it so you can have something to talk about in your essays and secondaries.

OsteopathicHopeful likes this.
  4. OsteopathicHopeful

OsteopathicHopeful 2+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Tennessee
    I completely agree with @Mx300. I was scoring a range of scores on my AAMC FLs and ended up scoring the lowest score I scored on FLs on the real deal. I too thought I rocked it and, didn't. Again not saying that to "kick you down" but it helps to have a realistic expectation. Trust me, the day they release your scores and your expecting something much higher, it won't feel good at all.

As far as applying MD do a post bacc and get a 4.0. As far as DO you have an ok gpa. Due to the holistic approach of DO admissions, which I tend to wholeheartedly agree with, I would shadow a DO and work on tightening up the rest of your app.

5. hallowmann

hallowmann 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2012
    You're fine. Apply early and broadly DO & MD. If you got >27, you're ok for DO, >30 you might be able to stay in CA, >33/34 you might have a shot at MD if you apply broadly (i.e. don't just apply in CA or the UC system).