Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO I just want to be a doctor! What are my odds this cycle?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by nursetodoc2018, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM.

1. nursetodoc2018

I have a BSN in nursing, I have worked as an RN for almost 6 years at a top Ohio hospital in a variety of areas. My undergraduate coursework started off sloppy and I had some issues with personal responsibilities during my post-bacc, so my GPAs are less than desirable. According to AACOMAS:

cGPA: 3.16
    sGPA: 3.13
    MCAT: 504
    LizzyM: 59.5

I have also shadowed a DO, and an MD at a free clinic. I don't want to waste anymore time, but I am willing to "waste" money if I have a shot. My pre-med advisor seems to think I have a pretty good shot, but I am getting very nervous. Any advice or anecdotes anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! Relocating is not an issue. As I said, I just want to be a doctor!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CyrusHabs7695

CyrusHabs7695 Go Habs Go...Next Year
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you were to apply broadly, I think you'd have a good shot. Obviously your clinical experience is good, but one thing you might want to beef up is your non-clinical volunteering, if you don't have much.

WIMNFamilyMed likes this.
  4. Iris42

Medical Student
    You got nothing to loose by trying, if money is no issue!
    Apply DO and MD...have you thought about offshore schools? If you're a US citizen you can easily land an IM residency somewhere in the US as an IMG

5. Faha

Physician

Attending Physician
    You could try 3 MD schools in Ohio: Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED. However, your best chances are some of the DO schools and I suggest all these:
    OU-HCOM
    MU-COM
    WVSOM
    UP-KYCOM
    LECOM
    VCOM (all 3 schools)
    LMU-DCOM
    ACOM
    WCU-COM
    UIWSOM
    ARCOM
    NYIT-Arkansas
    BCOM
    Your GPA is on the low side for all schools. Your MCAT is fine for all of them and your nursing experience is a strong point for your application.

nursetodoc2018 likes this.
  6. nursetodoc2018

Thanks for the response. I don't have any non-clinical volunteering. Would it look bad if I just decided to start volunteering right before applying? When I'm not working or studying, I try to spend time with my dad who is disabled. I don't know if saying that makes me sound like "oh whoa is me", but it is the truth.

7. Dr. Meliodas

Pre-Medical
    Do you have any research experience? How much non-clinical volunteering do you have? Are you a URM?

As is you have a chance at DO schools and your state MD schools. Applying to IMG is highly advised against for just about everyone.

8. CyrusHabs7695

Its better to get it later then never! Id go to like a food kitchen or something along the lines of that. And 100% completely do not go to offshore schools, DO 10 times out of 10 over offshore

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

9. nursetodoc2018

None, None, and No. :(

10. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member

Do not apply to off shore schools. This is such awful advice. Especially with your GPAs. Apply mainly DO and see what happens.

Shotapp, PashaOdesit and Enter like this.
  11. CyrusHabs7695

Research isnt as important in the DO world

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Shotapp likes this.
  12. Forever Geebs

Pre-Medical
    If you want to be a physician, it wouldn't hurt you to beef up your GPA while accumulating volunteer hours. Given your current GPA and MCAT score alone, you will have tough sledding ahead, especially for MD. It's good that you have recognized that and are focusing on DO. That said, your MCAT is about average (504 vs. 503.05) for for DO matriculants whereas your GPA is well below average (3.16 vs. 3.71 for post-bacc; 3.56 overall including post-bacc, grad, and bacc; and 3.53 for bacc). For more information, check out the 2017 AACOMS Applicant & Matriculant Profile Summary Report.

Doing what you can to make yourself the most competitive applicant is where I would focus my time and energy, if I were in your shoes.

Best of luck to you!

13. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

CyrusHabs7695 and candbgirl like this.
  14. Iris42

Medical Student
    Each year there are only 4000 US grads applying to IM, while there are over 7000 IM spots available. Assuming OP is a citizen, gets the average (220-230) step 1 and does 1-2 rotations in the states, I don't see why matching into IM would be hard.

#13 Iris42, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 3:30 PM
  15. abbsmeddoc

Medical Student
    Ok so hear me out before anybody hyperventilates. There are two other options that are not mentioned so far so here goes:

1. In the list above, the poster forgot to mention LUCOM. They are on the low end of stats and are generally easy to get into... I understand that it being a Christian school, you might not want to. But then again, you never mentioned your religious affiliation so figured I’d put it out there. They had decent matching so if you “just want to be a doctor” look into that school. I had similar stats as you but my cumulative was slightly higher. I was able to get accepted at LUCOM and am currently waitlisted at ACOM and GA-PCOM. I had also received an interview at BCOM. So in conclusion, it is definitely doable if you apply broadly especially with RN Experiance.

2. Another option is podiatry. It’s an option where you would be garunteed acceptance. Their stats are generally around 3.0 and MCAT of 494-495. A podiatrist is considered a physician since they can treat, diagnose, prescribe, and perform surgery. If you apply to all 9 of the Podiatric schools, I’m sure you will get accepted at most of them. So honestly if you don’t feel icky about feet, then that would really be a great field to look into without having to waste anymore time volunteering or trying to raise your stats. You take basically the same classes as med school and average salary is around $160,000. Residency is 3 years and depending on the residency you choose, you can make even more than the $160,000.

I just wanted to make sure you knew all your options. Good luck love! I hope you get to follow your dreams and become a doctor.